• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC for Mississippi citizens only?

Gray Rider

The Mississippi constitution Article 3, section 12 regarding firearms provides "The right of every citizen..." I assume this means citizens of Mississippi.

So, is OC legal in Mississippi for those who are residents/citizens of other states?

Also, I was through Jackson twice last fall and it seems "no firearms" signs, (not just "no OC" signs) have become commonplace at gas stations and fast food outlets. What's up with this?

Daylen

Jackson is full of people I can't comment on here about without violating the rules; plus they are upset that the murky language making it illegal to conceal a weapon "in whole or in part" was removed and replaced with a very clear concise definition of what is and is not concealed. There are no laws that distinguish between MS citizens and citizens of the States. In regard to the unconcealed carry of a firearm that I know about.

Gray Rider

Thanks - and recommendations please

Jackson is full of people I can't comment on here about without violating the rules; plus they are upset that the murky language making it illegal to conceal a weapon "in whole or in part" was removed and replaced with a very clear concise definition of what is and is not concealed. There are no laws that distinguish between MS citizens and citizens of the States. In regard to the unconcealed carry of a firearm that I know about.

Your post history shows you are on top of your game and comments are respected. Just wish those "no weapons" signs were not so prevalent in Jackson, especially since signs have the force of law in Mississippi. I don't remember seeing them on my previous trips through. My truck and stomach both run low on fuel at that stage of the trip.

Do you have any recommended friendly stops on US 49 south of I-20?

Daylen

Your post history shows you are on top of your game and comments are respected. Just wish those "no weapons" signs were not so prevalent in Jackson, especially since signs have the force of law in Mississippi. I don't remember seeing them on my previous trips through. My truck and stomach both run low on fuel at that stage of the trip.

Hattiesburg seems flush with friendly places. I sometimes stop at the ones on the I59-US49 intersection; not sure if I've used those since June. When I travel north of there its via I59 most of the time not US49. You might try exits near Ridgeland.

Gray Rider

Stuckey's

There are very few "no guns" signs anywhere in Hattiesburg, a few here and there, but very few gas stations or food joints.

The only place we stopped in Hattiesburg was Stuckey's at the I-59 & US49 exit Nov.16. They had a no weapons sign in the window. I don't remember seeing it last year. Any idea if Stuckey's has become an anti outfit or maybe this is just the local managers attitude?

Daylen

The only place we stopped in Hattiesburg was Stuckey's at the I-59 & US49 exit Nov.16. They had a no weapons sign in the window. I don't remember seeing it last year. Any idea if Stuckey's has become an anti outfit or maybe this is just the local managers attitude?

That's new, I've not seen that one yet :(

independence

There are very few "no guns" signs anywhere in Hattiesburg, a few here and there, but very few gas stations or food joints.

The signage you are describing is not legally binding. It has to say, "Carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited" for them to be able to prohibit you from carrying. Of course, if you want to just send your business somewhere that is gun friendly instead, that's probably better. But I'm just saying, a sign that simply says, "no weapons" does NOT have the force of law. Check out handgunlaw.us.

P.S. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Do your own research.

Last edited: