• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Asheville, NC?

44.MAGMAN

imported post

Let me first tell you a little about myself: I live in Swannanoa just outside of Ashevillein Buncombe County and not too far from Black Mountain, NC. I am currently going toAB-Tech for my Associates in Information Systems technology and have only two credits left formy degree and only three more for a Networking degree. Back in 99I wasa victim of road rage (though I admit I wasn't totally innocent) after a driver that was traveling in the wrong direction in a parking lot (whiletraveling at more than twice the speed limit than was posted)cussed me out after he sped around a corner andnearly ran into my car. After he cussed me out,I told him what he could go do to himself. The individual ended up not hurting me, but he did get out of his car and run up to mine and verbally threatened to "killme" whilehe wasspouting a barrage of profanities. He then placed his hands inside my car to try to get at me,and when he was unable to get to me, he damaged my car (kicked a hugedent in my fender with his foot). I was at a very bad disadvantage while sitting inmy old 79 Buick Regal with huge and heavy doors that seemed to take forever to swingopen. I was never able to get out of my car because he was at my driver side window so fast,and the driver damaged my car afterI completely ignored him (except for moving when he tried to grab and pull me out of the car)and Irefused to reply to his verbal assault. That's when he kicked the fender.

Anyway, I came away from it very frustated because I did feel like maybe my life could have been in danger andI fealt completely helpless to be able to defend myself in that particular situation even thoughI am a first degree black belt in Karate. Maybe a gun wasn't the answer (I don't think he had a gun with him, but you can never be too careless). I still felt helpless though and I realized that all the martial arts training in the world couldn't have helped me in that situation. I couldn't help but think that ifI just hada gun sitting on my seat out in the open where he could see it, that he most likely would have just took one look, seen that I was armed, and would have proceded to tuck his tail between his legs and would have went back to his car and drove off in a pretty big hurry (yes there's always that one person that comes backwith his own gun, but that's a riskI'm more than willing to take and this is NC, not TX or Nevadawhere everyone is packing, and besides thatI would have definitely had the drop on him anyway).

Well my first knee jerk reation was to go right out and get a gun, but it was stilla bit too troublesome for me to wantgo throughat that time, being young and lazy (and firearms cost major money thatI didn't have at the time). WellI think I did learn from the situation to try to not respond at all to angry motorists while out driving. It did make me think more about my own defense though, especially sinceI work latenights. I am a bit older and wiser now and now have a new and genuine interst in target shooting, and maybe collectingtwo or threeguns (either rifle or pistol). I have never had the opportunity to goon a hunting trip since my father was disabled with his heart condition by the timeI was old enough (and he recently passed away)and I'd also love toget out and do some huntingsince I am living in these beautiful mountains.

Well,about a monthago, after my cousin showed me his new Ruger 45. pistol along with the fully loaded clip, I was excitedabout the prospect of owning and usingmy own pistol and exercising my constitutional right to bear arms, while I still can (ifthe anti-gundemonstrators don't have their way). I felt motivated to make the jump to gun ownership epecially now since I am makingenough money to be able to afford to buy and care forone.This ismy very first time and I want to get any advice or experiences that other NC residents have had aboutOC in the NC area.Asheville residents would be great, but any advice or stories you have would be greatly welcomed.

dubccat51

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Hi, I too am a student in the area at WCU in Cullowhee. I just wanted to say a few words of encouragement in your decision to purchase a firearm. Owning a firearm as a student is not as intensive as you might think except for the whole cost issue. It is a responsiblity with benefits such as self-defense thatare well worth the effort. I own two rifles and two shotguns and as soon as I get the money I will purchase a handgun to carry. I go hunting in the gameland around campus and shoot at the shooting range in Moss Gap. If you are really serious about carrying you may want to look in to a concealed handgun permit. I recieved my CHL about two months ago and I believe that it is a good investment in the my safety and the safety in the people around me. I took the training course with Billy Sherrill in Waynesville. I cannot say specifically for the Asheville Police, but most of the policemen and deputies in this area are very pro-gun and would support your decision to carry a firearm for self-defense as long as you follow the law which is available at:

http://www.packing.org/state//north_carolina/

The only problem with North Carolina law and being a student is that you cannotcarry a firearm on to educational property.

Good Luck on your decision,

DL

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Cops in Asheville are cool, the residents tend to be a little flighty. This must have something to do with the unusual # of hippies up there hiding out in that quiet town. Read the statutes, print them off, and and never be confrontational.

BTW, the correct term is magazine, not clip. If you're going to be in then club, you've gotta learn the lingo. Also, let me suggest you look into a Firestorm .40 cal. This was my first handgun and it is still my OC gun. I did pick up a 1911 recently and love it, but you may not be ready to lay down that much cash. Firestorm .40 and .45 are generally around $350, and are produced by Bersa who offers a lifetime warranty on them.

44.MAGMAN

imported post

Thanks for the advice and support. I think I will print out the various laws if only to have as a reference tool. I think I could OCaround the outskirt of Asheville (often called Oteen around here) with very little problem. I'm not so sure about businessesin downtown Asheville though. Should I have to be walking around that area, I definitely will be armed from now on though. Violent crime seems to rise during the Summer months here in Asheville, and you hear about a lot of it going on around downtown.

As far as the lingo goes: more and more the term "clip" is being used interchangably with the term "magazine". Is it incorrect? Technically Yes. They are both still ammo feeding devices thoughand I think the main reason why "clip" is being used more and more oftenin place of "magazine" is due less to ignorance and more to laziness. It takes longer to type and even say "magazine" then it does "clip". We are a world of lazy people who are all in a big hurry and wanteverything fast and quick. Ifyou think that misuse of terms will bother the users of this forum that muchthen I'll try to refrain from talking about it alltogether.

Besides, it matters very little to me anyway, because I'll soon have my 44. Magnum revolver in-hand sothat technicalaspectwon't apply to my pistol anyway. That is my weapon of choice, and one that I have always wanted when I wasgrowing up watching all the old westerns and cop shoot em ups. Sure, many may think it's too old and antiquatedbut I pity the poor fool that would be stupid enough tounderestimate it.