• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the rain

Castleninja

I know there has been discussion about OC when it's cold out but I want to get some of your thoughts about OC in the rain. Wet gun, wet hands possible defensive situation going south because of it... What are your thoughts??

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carried a lot in the rain lots of time poring rain. They make rain coats. If my firearms got wet they were field stripped dried and oiled.

In 50 plus years of having firearms out in all types of weather hunting and working. I didn't worry about it just dry and oil them when you can.

I prefer stainless syt stock firearms myself they give one a little more lee way.

SovereignAxe

The road to Hell is paved with what-ifs. A quality gun is not affected.

How many times have you drawn on the cusp of life-or-death self-defense, how many times a wet gun? Has the military elites taken steps to avoid problems with wet guns?

+1 to this. My PPQ could be soaked in baby oil and the stippling would be unaffected. I have no doubt I could keep a firm grip on it.

The slide however...

Fallschirjmäger

I had a reply about the military not caring about a little rain on their guns, so why should you, but I realized upon a second reading that you don't seem worried about rust but about grip.

So long as you aren't carrying a 1911 with smooth grip panels, the checkering or stippling on almost any gun should give you sufficient grip. A few like FHN, seem to be a bit too aggressive, if anything.

Last edited:

OC Freedom

I never even had a problem with my cap and ball 1858 Remington in the rain. I should clarify about its carry and shooting the cap and ball, not loading it in direct rainfall.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I carried a lot in the rain lots of time poring rain. They make rain coats. If my firearms got wet they were field stripped dried and oiled.

In 50 plus years of having firearms out in all types of weather hunting and working. I didn't worry about it just dry and oil them when you can.

So long as you aren't carrying a 1911 with smooth grip panels, the checkering or stippling on almost any gun should give you sufficient grip.

It rains a lot in Washington. Just clean the bloody weapon when it gets wet. Simple

I carried the same Remington Rand 1911 for three tours in Vietnam. It had those crappy looking brown plastic grips that ALWAYS gave me a good feel when I needed it. I cleaned that sucker constantly to make sure it would be operational. Just clean it, it's fun.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP..So long as you aren't carrying a 1911 with smooth grip panels, the checkering or stippling on almost any gun should give you sufficient grip. A few like FHN, seem to be a bit too aggressive, if anything.

In a self-defense situation, your grip on the firearm might be tighter than normal, so you just need some friction that works while wet. I use Hogue grips on my 1911. Tested them out with wet hands once (and triple-checked that no bullets were anywhere near the chamber) to see if they would work should they get rained on. Acceptable grip when I unholstered, and I doubt the recoil is enough to impair follow-up shots should they be needed under wet conditions.

It rains a lot in Washington. Just clean the bloody weapon when it gets wet. Simple

I carried the same Remington Rand 1911 for three tours in Vietnam. It had those crappy looking brown plastic grips that ALWAYS gave me a good feel when I needed it. I cleaned that sucker constantly to make sure it would be operational. Just clean it, it's fun.
Sure is, and makes you appreciate the engineering that went into the design.
It also familiarizes you with your sidearm, creating a long-lasting bond based on trust, mutual understanding, and common interests.:lol:

Last edited:

DanNabis

I know there has been discussion about OC when it's cold out but I want to get some of your thoughts about OC in the rain. Wet gun, wet hands possible defensive situation going south because of it... What are your thoughts??

I can see an issue if you dislike getting your arm wet.

However I think that the Glock line of products functions well in these conditions and others.
The checkering on Gen 4 is really friendly and grippable with out being sharp.

I'd think having some towels and gun cloths in a dry place or sealed bag so you can dry your arm after rain exposure might be a good idea.

Last edited: