• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in winter

DaveT319

How do you guys do it?

It's cold outside, so you put on a jacket. Then you've got to make sure the jacket is not covering the weapon. So you either have to lift the side over the weapon, or have it open on that side, or have a jacket specifically designed to go around your weapon.

It's easy when the weather is warmer and all you have is a shirt on. But how do you guys handle it when you have to start adding layers?

flhrci

My Serpa holster sticks out far enough to open carry over my coat. It is not so good for CC like I originally bought it for. Oops. Tend to CC a little more in winter.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kopis

anytime i use an OTW holster, i consider it OC. It may be mostly covered by a jacket but when i go inside and take it off, it's OC.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Since I have a CPL, I just don't worry about it. I just let the weather, and clothing determine my carry method. I use a large Serpa paddle holster, so if I had to OC I would just tuck my jacket behind it. Here in WA it doesn't get very cold anyway.

WalkingWolf

IMO a defensive weapon does not do much good buried under layers of clothing, unless the bad guys believe in time outs. If I had to wear it under my coat I would just leave it at home.

mobiushky

This is why I am not completely anti-CC. The weather defines how I carry. Up here, we can see -20 F days in the winter on a regular basis. Spikes to lower even. I OC as much as I can, but I also wear a jacket that is a layered system. All of the internal layers are shorter than the thin parka length outer. SO, my OWB holster is covered only by the thinnest outer layer. Sure it's CC, but putting bare or nearly bare hands on a -20F pistol isn't exactly conducive to effective shooting. So I CC while I'm walking around outside, which isn't much at that temp, then when I get into the building, I remove the outer layer and am OC.

There's always a way to be sure you have your tool handy.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Since I have a CPL, I just don't worry about it. I just let the weather, and clothing determine my carry method. ....

Same here. This is huge argument to be able to make against requiring a permit for CC when OC is otherwise legal, like in most states.

DaveT319

See, normally I just wear a hoodie and have the gun side pulled up over and around the gun, but the next few days it's supposed to be cold with snow, so I'll probably be wearing a heavier coat, which is hard to maneuver the same way. I don't have my CHL yet, otherwise I wouldn't have to worry about it.

WalkingWolf

Everybody has to make these decisions who carry. But for me it is OC all the way. As far as cold gun, it has not been a problem. When it is very cold I wear driving gloves under extreme weather mittens. IMO it takes a lot less time to yank a mitten off then dig under a heavy coat. AND this worked for me just fine on one occasion with a dog that I sprayed with a OC'd canister of pepper spray. I keep all my tools on my belt for easy access.

I am more worried about lead poisoning or taking a beating than cold fingers for a split second. Or even worse with a weak heart going through rabies treatment.

markand

5.11 makes jackets, coats and even heavy parkas with zippers on both sides that make it easy to OC while bundled up for the weather. Most of their stuff is pricey, but very high quality, IMHO. I have several of their lighter jackets, one of which even has removable sleeves to turn it into a vest. All have zippers to facilitate OC as well as interior pockets not normally found on outerwear.

dmatting

My level II serpa sits far enough away from my side that my carhartt (what I have been wearing mostly this winter) easily fits behind it. This method works just as well with other winter jackets that I have. I don't wear long trenchcoats that would muck that up. All of my jackets stop at the belt line.

acmariner99

I tailor my clothing style to accommodate my carry & deployment tactics. I want easy and quick access to my firearm, so I always carry strong side OWB. In winter I may be covering the weapon with a jacket, but the movement to access the firearm remains the same.

For this reason, I like having the option to CC or OC - I do not like having to be "paranoid" about how I carry.

Chief Ten Beers

I carry a single action .45 Colt in a Buscadero western holster, so my gun hangs low enough that I can wear a coat, cover the belt and ammo, and still leave my gun showing. :banana:

WalkingWolf

So you just OC for show then? Not a very practical SD weapon...

Ohh Boy, another one. I wonder if he is willing to stand in front of the business end of SA revolver.

No wonder his spouse does not respect him, he does not know how to control his mouth or have the ability of common sense.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
What you are comfortable in carrying is the most important thing. Don't think poorly about someones choice, because it is a revolver, a semi, a Taurus, a Hi-point, or a derringer. Trust me, I would need some new underwear if I was on the wrong end of a Colt .45. I carry a 1911 (with U.S. Army logo grips), and there is no reason if you are going to carry to not look good too:)

DaveT319

I'm just meaning that there are serious drawbacks (in my mind) to carrying a single-action revolver for self-defense. First and foremost is that you have to cock the hammer each time, which seems to make quick follow-up shots much slower. Then besides the capacity (part of the reason I'm biased against revolvers, plus they've never felt comfortable in my hand), don't a lot of them have to be unloaded and reloaded one round at a time?

True, the imposing hole of a .45 barrel is going to give most people pause, but that's usually when face to face. Any farther and it's going to have less effect. I just believe there are better options out there.

And yes, it's better to carry something - anything - than to not carry at all.

Arin Morris

I'm just meaning that there are serious drawbacks (in my mind) to carrying a single-action revolver for self-defense. First and foremost is that you have to cock the hammer each time, which seems to make quick follow-up shots much slower. Then besides the capacity (part of the reason I'm biased against revolvers, plus they've never felt comfortable in my hand), don't a lot of them have to be unloaded and reloaded one round at a time?

I see you've never observed a cowboy action shooting competition before.