• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC law

boohickey11

imported post

I'm from Louisville and was wondering where the minimum age of open carry (18yrs) comes from. Is it that 18 is when you can buy a rifle/SG and therefore can open carry them?

TrueBrit

imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
I'm from Louisville and was wondering where the minimum age of open carry (18yrs) comes from. Is it that 18 is when you can buy a rifle/SG and therefore can open carry them?

Welcome to OCDO, Boohickey11!

There seems to be much confusion about this age question ,and please be aware that IANAL.

In KY, one has to be 21 or over to buy a handgun from a FFL holder, ie a licensed gundealer, and over 18 to buy a long gun from a FFL holder.

HOWEVER;

One need only be 18 or over to buy a handgun in a PRIVATE SALE, provided that you have not been disbarred by way of felony convictions, et, and the seller has no reason to suppose that you are a felon, or likely to misuse the weapon.

AN 18 year old may be given a handgun, particularly by a family member. (Must becareful about the straw purchase thing if, say, a dad wanted to buy a gun for his 18-21 year old kid.)

Therefore, if an 18 year old legally posesses a handgun, he may carry it OPENLY, or at least that is how I interpret things!

No CDWL available for CC, however, until one reaches 21.

Funnily enough, I can find no lower age limit for the posession of LONG guns!

I would welcome confirmation or otherwiseof the above stuff from any of the other guys! I HAVE been known to get it wrong!

TrueBrit.

ijusam

imported post

[align=left]527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.[/align]

[align=left](1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age[/align]
[align=left]of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as[/align]
[align=left]defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:[/align]
[align=left](a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;[/align]
[align=left]...ect... snip...[/align]
[align=left](3) Possession of a handgun by a minor is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense[/align]
[align=left]and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense.[/align]

[align=left]Effective:
July 15, 1994[/align]
[align=left]History:
Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 30, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1994.[/align]

TrueBrit

imported post

ijusam wrote:

[align=left]527.100 Possession of handgun by minor.[/align]

[align=left](1) A person is guilty of possession of a handgun by a minor when, being under the age[/align]

[align=left]of eighteen (18) years, he possesses, manufactures, or transports a handgun as[/align]

[align=left]defined by KRS 527.010, except when the person is:[/align]

[align=left](a) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;[/align]

[align=left]...ect... snip...[/align]

[align=left](3) Possession of a handgun by a minor is a Class A misdemeanor for the first offense[/align]

[align=left]and a Class D felony for each subsequent offense.[/align]

[align=left]Effective:
July 15, 1994[/align]

[align=left]History:
Created 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 30, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1994.[/align]

Seems therefore that once one reaches the age of 18, one is good to go, since the above 527.100 specifically mentions MINORS under18 years of age, no?

Thanks for the cite, ijusam, I ought to start looking this stuff up myself, and you have saved me a job!

Best wishes,

TrueBrit.

Razoreye

Opt-Out Members
imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
The law is shown below above. There are a few restricted exceptions. As far as I know, long guns are good to go.

boohickey11

imported post

I've been concealed carrying for a few months now and have just returned from my first open carry trip to WalMart. I didn't see any strange faces but then again I wasn't looking for any.

b1ack5mith

imported post

hey guys, im 18, and i live in UT, but my gal is in KY. i carry my handgun alllll over the place here, our laws state that you cant carry a loaded handgun on public streets, etc... but the law states that a weapon is deemed loaded when there is a cartridge in FIRING POSITION... so we just leave the chamber empty, and keep the mag full, and in the gun :) ive been carrying for awhile, and i go into walmarts, stores, shops, everywhere, and havent been confronted by police (yet) but i love open carrying, its a fun thing to do! (just came back from richmond KY a couple weeks ago, shoulda taken the Glock!)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

boohickey11 wrote:
Did you check the "min AG ot OC" tab before asking this question?