• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Louisiana lawyer killed by Ark. Deputy

hermannr

This smells so bad, the odor is reaching all the way to north central WA...this is just crazy. I hope all of those responsible come to justice.

slowfiveoh

Been watching this off and on for a bit now. It really stinks.

Its kind of depressing to me that an individual had to go through all of this, up to and including death, simply because people couldn't respect his land boundaries.

By the way, yeah, that line is epic.

KBCraig

Anything new???????/

Not that I've been able to find out. The federal courts in Louisiana are locked up so tight behind PACER that you can't even see the docket without a paid account. I tried to get the lawyer to use the RECAP plugin for Firefox so that we could all see the case documents for free, but he's not much of a computer guy.

Daylen

Not that I've been able to find out. The federal courts in Louisiana are locked up so tight behind PACER that you can't even see the docket without a paid account. I tried to get the lawyer to use the RECAP plugin for Firefox so that we could all see the case documents for free, but he's not much of a computer guy.

You might try going to a law library. I tried that to get some Alabama and Mississippi cases that were locked down behind pay sites with no charge except the gas to drive down town.

KBCraig

Latest from the lawyer: they're still fighting over venue and jurisdiction. It could be a while before a judge decides he has venue and jurisdiction over the case.

That's understandable, since the entire basis of the original argument was the location of the boundary between the states.

...this one could take a while, folks. Be patient. We want justice, but it's not going to come quickly in this case.

glbedd53

Exact location of shooting?

Does anyone know where this happened or where his property is? One of my relatives has property just on the Arkansas side of the state line on Hwy 71 and we spend some time there. I'm really curious about where the disputed land was.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone know where this happened or where his property is? One of my relatives has property just on the Arkansas side of the state line on Hwy 71 and we spend some time there. I'm really curious about where the disputed land was.

Some specifics (w/links) in the original post (#1) on this thread.

KBCraig

If you look at the satellite view on Google Maps, you can discern where the old railroad bed lies, North-South, just behind (west of) the homes on Red Bud Ln. Follow that north to where Google indicates the state line is (it's not accurate, but it's within a few yards), and you're at the spot.

Basically, a quarter mile from 71, right at the (disputed) state line.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If a cop was murdered there, how long would it take to determine jurisdiction?

KBCraig

If a cop was murdered there, how long would it take to determine jurisdiction?

The prosecutors would have instant jurisdiction in both states and both counties/parishes.

Not because they're right, but because they get to claim jurisdiction by virtue of office.

glbedd53

The prosecutors would have instant jurisdiction in both states and both counties/parishes.

Not because they're right, but because they get to claim jurisdiction by virtue of office.

Yep, I see it. That's across the highway from my mother-in laws land. A little sliver of her land is on that side of the road on the Ark. side. We have been over there where the railroad bridge (not on her property) was across the creek. I'm gonna have my GPS from now on when I go in the woods and make sure I don't get on someone elses property. There was another little incident like that we heard about a few years ago (nobody got shot) on her side of the highway. I never went out there without at least a handgun because my father-in law never did. Since the hogs got bad I don't even go in there without an AR or AK.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Yep, I see it. That's across the highway from my mother-in laws land.
So, your mother-in-law has the nice garden plot right next to the highway, just north of the pipe fence?

You're right that hogs are bad all over, but especially in the bottoms and sloughs. They don't have any predators other than man, and much of that country is hard to get to on foot.

At least the hogs don't set up an ambush and shoot you in the back.

glbedd53

Yep, I see it. That's across the highway from my mother-in laws land. A little sliver of her land is on that side of the road on the Ark. side. We have been over there where the railroad bridge (not on her property) was across the creek. I'm gonna have my GPS from now on when I go in the woods and make sure I don't get on someone elses property. There was another little incident like that we heard about a few years ago (nobody got shot) on her side of the highway. I never went out there without at least a handgun because my father-in law never did. Since the hogs got bad I don't even go in there without an AR or AK.

No, hers runs from just north of the bridge to about 100 yds north of the state line. The house isn't hers, the trailer house behind it is.

KBCraig

Oh, okay.

I was once headed back from S'port to Texarkana about midnight, when there was the rare snow in December, and I spotted a small SUV that had skidded on ice while southbound on that bridge, and landed upside down in the slough on the west side of the road.

There was no other traffic, so I got out and searched carefully, but I couldn't find anyone.

I drove back to the truck stop south of the state line (whatever it was called then; it's open again now under a different name), and passed a fellow on foot. The gal at the truck stop said he had just been there to use her phone and call in the wreck.

I picked him up and gave him a ride to his sister's place in Kiblah. He was freezing and shivering and seriously tweaking on meth; I kept talking calmly while I was ready to draw with my off hand. :shocker:

KBCraig

The suit has been moved to the federal court in Texarkana. There's an article in the Texarkana paper today (Thursday, 9/20), but it's subscriber-only. I'll check for other sources.