• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC petition for GOP CONVENTION

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
From the article: "Open carry is legal in Washington, Idaho and Oregon, for example, along with Arizona and most other western states."

Uh, open carry is legal in a lot more states than the few mentioned above.

Dave Workman

From the article: "Open carry is legal in Washington, Idaho and Oregon, for example, along with Arizona and most other western states."

Uh, open carry is legal in a lot more states than the few mentioned above.

Yeah, I know that. But in the interest of giving the article a regional appeal, I went with that.
Thanks for reading.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"...hosting venue—the Quicken Loans Arena—strictly forbids the carry of firearms on their premises." So, big deal. If the RNC is renting the center they can allow open carry, and for that matter concealed carry. Ouicken cannot disallow open carry, period. The city of Cleveland owns the center and it is supported by tax dollars. The contract between the city and Quicken will clearly state that Quicken cannot violate Ohio law in any way. And because Quicken cannot violate the contract with the city, Quicken cannot force someone else to violate that contract.

Public property open to the public, even if an entrance fee is charged, is still public property.

All the RNC has to do is inform their members that the carrying of handguns, concealed of open, is permissible and Quicken cannot do a thing about it......

Just my opinion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Chris-Wallace-Grills-Bernie-Sanders-Hours-After-Republicans-Grill-Each-Other-Video.jpg

Tell me that this does not concern me .. right ? RIGHT?

Last edited:

Brian D.

United States Secret Service says "Hell to the naw!" Okay that's not a quote, but according to local channel 5 in Cleveland, the USSS announced that under federal regulations pertaining to their protective duties, firearms won't be allowed inside Quicken during the convention. I can't seem to properly post a direct link to the story, sorry, but I gave it three good tries.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Here you go Brian....

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...f-firearms-at-quicken-loans-arena-during-rnc-

18 U.S. Code § 1752
(a) Whoever—
(1) knowingly enters or remains in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority to do so;

(c) In this section—
(1) the term “restricted buildings or grounds” means any posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area—
(A) of the White House or its grounds, or the Vice President’s official residence or its grounds;
(B) of a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting; or
(C) of a building or grounds so restricted in conjunction with an event designated as a special event of national significance; and.......
Secret Service tells newsnet5.com that just wouldn't be possible.

The Secret Service Is full of it. If the GOP allows the lawful carry of firearms at the convention and you have a ticket to be there, then the SS cannot keep you out.

SW40VE-OC

^ I think it means, "Not only no, but, HELL NO!"

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
The candidates have a big say in what they will tolerate. I am sure Ted Cruz could care less if lawful carry was allowed, but other candidates may or will have an issue.

Brian D.

OK, What does "Hell to the naw!" mean? I didn't see that it was used in the news article that COL provided. Has it been used somewhere else?

Just some slang I've picked up from television/movies, gutshot. Toldja I wasn't quoting the feds there. It means a very emphatic "NO!", that's all. Sorry for the confusion, brohan. (More slang. :D )

davidmcbeth

Banned
United States Secret Service says "Hell to the naw!" Okay that's not a quote, but according to local channel 5 in Cleveland, the USSS announced that under federal regulations pertaining to their protective duties, firearms won't be allowed inside Quicken during the convention. I can't seem to properly post a direct link to the story, sorry, but I gave it three good tries.

Deprivation of rights under color of law ... isn't that a federal law? LOL They should arrest themselves !

utbagpiper

Banned
County and State GOP conventions in Utah have always been open to firearms legally carried.

The one exception was some 15 years ago when then-VP Cheney spoke at our State convention. The Secret Service secured the facility and did not permit private firearms inside. I'm told they gave the rifles carried by the Utah National Guardsmen acting as Color Guard the thrice-over.

Clark Aposhian of USSC and the Utah AG's office worked together and provided lockers just outside the security checkpoints where guns could be stored.

Once Cheney spoke and left, the SS cleared out and we were back to no restrictions for the rest of the day.

But at the national convention, and especially a contested convention, with multiple presidential candidates present, and usually speaking toward the end of the convention, I don't see how the SS could effectively provide security while permitting firearms in a large hall with thousands of persons coming and going.

This strikes me as one of those rare venues where it is legitimate to prohibit firearms.

Ideally, secure storage would be provided immediately outside the secure area, and real security would be provided throughout the convention for all in attendance.

The POTUS and major candidates for that office are uniquely high value targets and pose a special security concern. Firearms are particularly effective at projecting deadly force at a distance.

Flame away.

Charles

Last edited:

taxman

Banned
When was the last time anybody made a genuine attempt on the life of a candidate for president?
I personally don't know of any, ever.

And don't get me started on former politicians. Whoever came up with the idea for full SS protection details for ex-politicians owes us several billion dollars.

Anyway, if the lefties can launch a petition to make the RNC look bad for not allowing guns at the convention, why don't we do the same for the lefties and make the DNC look bad for allowing guns?

http://www.ccrkba.org/calling-on-de...ladelphias-wells-fargo-center-july-25-28-2016

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...n-all-guns-at-democratic-national-convention/

Last edited: