• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in front of three SHP tonight...

Medic1210

I've been OC'ing consistently for about two months now, and have yet to carry in front of any LEO that I don't know personally. So, tonight, I went into the local MaMa Noi's sub restaurant in Rockingham tonight to pick up a couple sandwiches for supper. When I pulled up, I saw the three Trooper cars parked outside. So, instead of using the drive through, I decided to go in and place my order. I have to admit, my adrenaline started pumping a bit not knowing what to expect. I really didn't want any confrontation, but still wanted to see how it would go. This place is very small, with the dining area maybe 15'x15' and only about 7 tables. Anyway, I walked in, and the troopers were all facing the counter about 7' off my strong side. I nodded at them when they looked at me, and continued to the counter to place my order. I'm pleased to say, not one of them said anything to me about my sidearm, which is a Glock 27 with +2 grip extension holstered in a Blackhawk SERPA. I've always found the NCSHP to be one of the most professional law enforcement departments around, and they lived up to that tonight as well.

rotorhead

I've been OC'ing consistently for about two months now, and have yet to carry in front of any LEO that I don't know personally. So, tonight, I went into the local MaMa Noi's sub restaurant in Rockingham tonight to pick up a couple sandwiches for supper. When I pulled up, I saw the three Trooper cars parked outside. So, instead of using the drive through, I decided to go in and place my order. I have to admit, my adrenaline started pumping a bit not knowing what to expect. I really didn't want any confrontation, but still wanted to see how it would go. This place is very small, with the dining area maybe 15'x15' and only about 7 tables. Anyway, I walked in, and the troopers were all facing the counter about 7' off my strong side. I nodded at them when they looked at me, and continued to the counter to place my order. I'm pleased to say, not one of them said anything to me about my sidearm, which is a Glock 27 with +2 grip extension holstered in a Blackhawk SERPA. I've always found the NCSHP to be one of the most professional law enforcement departments around, and they lived up to that tonight as well.

They didn't say anything because it's completely legal.

I agree with your assessment of the NCHP, despite the stories that pop up here and there with some of the issues they have with individuals. I have a friend with the NCHP and every one I've come in contact with over the years has never given me reason to criticize them. You can tell that the idea of OC and gun ownership is one that 's been settled with that organization for years now. Unlike some other LEO organizations, this one gets it.

F350

the troopers were all facing the counter about 7' off my strong side.

Things must be pretty quiet in NC......I have NEVER seen a group of LEO all sitting with their backs to the door. :eek:

Couple years ago wife and I were at our usual weekend breakfast joint (Truck stop but had a local diner feel in the dining-room) we always sat at a rear corner boot, I always faced the door which put my sidearm to the outside. 6 state troopers came in and sat at a large round table for 8, care to guess what 2 chairs were open? I nudged the wife under the table and she just mouthed "I know".

As we were leaving the youngest trooper said "Excuse me sir; exactly what is that you're carrying"? I explained about the Para being a 1911 with a 13 round double stack mag. He says "COOL! 14 shot 1911"!

Medic1210

Things must be pretty quiet in NC......I have NEVER seen a group of LEO all sitting with their backs to the door. :eek:

Never said their backs were to the door. The way the dining area is set up, they were facing straight toward the counter with the door being at their 10 o'clock position. When I walked in, I was facing them, and then walked to the counter with strong side toward them. I was wearing light colored clothes, so my black pistol kinda stands out.

rotorhead

Yep, but unfortunately that doesn't stop many officers from confronting you. These guys went on about their business like it didn't phase them. Kudos.

Agreed, and that was the point I was making- other LE agencies are not quite up to par when it comes to the training that the NCHP has and the procedures they adhere to in regards to OC and gun owners in general.