• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO Meetup at GRPC in Charlotte, NC at the Marriott Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The next conference folks might want to sign up for is the 7 OCT 2006 "Firearms Law & the Second Amendment Symposium," at GMU in Arlington, VA.

Given that the AG's college carry opinion at http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdfstates that "The right to carry openly has not been revoked by the General Assembly," maybe we should open carry at the conference on camnpus?[suP]
[/suP]

-------------------------------

Sign-up for GMU conference here: http://www.nraila.org/workshops/symposium.aspx?ID=GMUSL

FROM RECENT NRA ALERT:

Dear Friend of the Second Amendment:

Due to the success of last year's inaugural "Firearms Law & the Second Amendment Symposium," this year's Symposium will be held on October 7, at George Mason University School of Law, in Arlington, Va. As with the 2005 event, this year's Symposium, including food, beverage, and all materials, is FREE!

Here are the details of the 2006 "Firearms Law & the Second Amendment Symposium":

[align=center]Saturday, October 7, 2006
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Registration & breakfast 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.)
George Mason University School of Law
3301 Fairfax Drive - Hazel Hall Room 121
Arlington, VA 22201
FREE!!![/align]
At this year's Symposium, panelists will discuss and debate: current Second Amendment scholarship, litigation against the firearm industry, the U.N.'s intrusion into legal domestic gun ownership, and issues involving self-defense and Right-to-Carry reforms. Featured panelists at this year's event will include some of the country's most renowned experts on the Second Amendment and related issues, such as: George Mason's Profs. Nelson Lund and Joyce Lee Malcolm; George Washington University's Profs. Robert Cottrol and Renee Lerner; Lawrence Keane of the National Shooting Sports Foundation; attorney Richard Gardiner; David Kopel of the Independence Institute; attorney and author David Hardy; and Prof. Brian Patrick from the University of Toledo.

This event promises to present a thought provoking discussion of what has become the most controversial freedom in the Bill of Rights. Each Symposium registrant will receive a packet that contains the panelists' written materials on the subject--an excellent source for future reference. For guests who are attorneys, this year's event may once again meet state requirements for continuing legal education. Again, the event, including all materials, food and beverages, is being held without charge.

To reserve your seat, please CLICK HERE, or call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.

Thank you,

NRA-ILA

Please visit http://www.nraila.org/workshops/symposium.aspx?ID=GMUSLto reserve your seat.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OK folks, John & I have heard a couple of off line maybes and yeses to attending the OCDO hospitality suite. Anyone else coming? We need to to estimate food/beverage requirements.

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Hello Mike! I will be at the GRPC representing the Texas Citizens Defense League! I'm so happy to learn that you guys will be there. I sure hope we can hook up. I'd wear a opencarry.org shirt if I had one but there's probably not time to get it here before the conference. Anyway you could bring me one to the conference?

Arizona-Texan

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

Count me in for the hospitality suite! I'll also be at the Friday night reception.

Arizona-Texan

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Arizonatexan wrote:
Hello Mike! I will be at the GRPC representing the Texas Citizens Defense League! I'm so happy to learn that you guys will be there. I sure hope we can hook up. I'd wear a opencarry.org shirt if I had one but there's probably not time to get it here before the conference. Anyway you could bring me one to the conference?

Arizona-Texan
What style and size?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

OpenCarry.org Press Release - 18 September 2006

OpenCarry.org will hold an informal reception early Saturday evening in the "OCDO" executive suite in the Marriott Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel at this year's Gun Rights Policy Conference (GRPC) - press members invited, including college press!

GRPC is open to the public and press - free registration link and other announcements at their official website: [url]http://saf.org/default.asp?p=GRPC[/url].

OpenCarry.org announcements and discussion thread at [url]http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/471.html[/url].

The great thing about holding the Gun Rights Policy Conference in North Carolina is that its state courts hold that the open carry of handguns is a state Constitutional right that cannot be banned or subjected to licensure!

GRPC's theme this year is "Victory in sight"

But as the state message boards show at OpenCarry.org victories are now happening all over America -every time another American open carries a handgun in public for the first time, the notion thatcitizen gun carry must "stay in the closet" dies a little more.

So OpenCarry.org's theme for this year is: "Gun Carry's Out of the Closet!"

Here are just a few of the recent open carry victories in 2006 you might not have heard about in the popular press:

**The Virginia Attorney General officially opined that citizens can open carry handguns on college campuses.

**The Utah Supreme Court, by affirming supremacy of state law over university rules, confirmed that citizen open carry is lawful on college campuses.

**Delaware police are amazed as more citizens open carry in urban areas - NOTE: Delaware is a state with a "may issue" concealed handgun permit scheme.

**The Utah Legislature seriously considered a bill to join the 23 other states which allow unlicensed gun carry inside vehicles. Don't worry, this bill will be back no doubt next session.

See ya there!

Mike Stollenwerk/John Pierce
[url]www.OpenCarry.org[/url]
CELL: (703) XXX-XXXX

A

Arizonatexan

imported post

I'd like toknow from some of our OC friends in North Carolina for those of us visitors going to the GRPC in Charlotte ... can we open carry in Charlotte? Is the hotel "off limits?" Is there anything we need to be careful of before we show up with our sidearms at the conference? How about other OCDO members attending the conference ... do you intend to carry open while there? It would sure ruin our day for someone of us to wind up sideways of a NC LEO. I'll have to transport my handgun on the airline - but I'll leave it at home and avoid the hassle if there's a chance I'll loose it or get into trouble. I'm going to the conference to learn and network - not cause a scene. But I believe it might be a good venue in support of our convictions. Any thoughts?

Arizona-Texan

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NC is generally a friendly open carry state - as discussed in the past, the state const. has been construed to provide a const. righ to open carry free of licensing requirements.

However, carry **generally** is banned in alcohol consuming/selling establishments so hotel carry needs to be limited to keep out of those areas.

I will be open carrying at the OCDO reception, and at some other times.

In 2004, the GRPC folks had a coniption over open carry at their conference including at alcohol serving restaurants - they were apparently unaware of the VA law requiring open carry at these times and some stated that open carry was illegal.

Hopefully the GRPC staff this year is up to speed on our rights.

pieceKeeper

imported post

Mike, I will be at the CRPC and plan to visit the OCDO "meetup" on Saturday nite.
See you then.

Dave Knight
Radford, VA
(VCDL member)

pieceKeeper

imported post

FWIW, I originally joined this forum back on May 21st (2006) and when I tried to log in this time, I could not. I re-registered with the same userid, without any complaint from the system! Apparently, my original registration was lost. Is there some kind of automatic expiration period?

pieceKeeper

imported post

Howdy,

Don't know if GRPC staff is up on NC open-carry. I inquired about lawful concealed carry at the conference, and got a prompt, personal reply from, Jow Waldron stating that "NC law will prevail", and confirming my assertions that 14-269.3 (Class 1 misdemeanor for carrying at events that charge admission, unless specifically allowed by the sponsors, for "participants") would not apply, as the GRPC is "free". He did not say anything about open carry.

I vaguely recall another email (from someone else?) suggesting that "discrete concealed carry" would be "appropriate" during the conference - from which one could infer that open-carry (being less than "discrete") would not be "appropriate.

Another potential fly in the ointment would be if Pres. Bush decides to attend, and the
SS establishes a "perimeter". If that happens, all bets are off for both open and concealed carry!

pieceKeeper

imported post

Regarding NC carry in "establishments" where alcohol is sold and consumed...

There is the same question in NC as in VA, regarding the definition of "establishment".
Specifically, it is clear that a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages is such an "establishment", but what about a sports stadium where outside vendors come in to sell beer for some events? Or a private reception with a cash bar, in a hotel conference room?? According to one VA State Police officer I know, neither situation (in VA) requires lawful concealed carry to "convert" to open carry.

So, the question is: if one goes to a GRPC reception where there is a cash bar, but it is NOT in a hotel restaurant or bar "establishment", is open and concealed carry prohibited at that reception?

Or does the prohibition only apply to CONCEALED carry, as in VA?