• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer disarmed

solus

There are more - Google is your friend.

you are quite correct, google is your friend...

reading your cites...several of the parameters are quite unique.
the 1968 case law involved an individual who was armed quote: ...armed with a carbine and four pistols, the defendant and three others drove on the public highways at night, firing bullets into a store and two homes) unquote.

as well as driving on the NC's highways, therefore, the case law parameters wouldn't apply to JQPublic walking in wally world, ad nauseam.

additionally, seems the kind NC legislature is trying to fix the jim crow case law with the legislation under HB 746...
"§ 14-277.6. Going armed to the terror of the people.
(a) A person who arms himself or herself with an unusual and dangerous weapon for the purpose of terrifying others and goes about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to the people is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) No person shall be convicted of a violation of subsection (a) of this section based only on the person's possession or carrying of a handgun, whether openly or concealed."

and the number 'charged' in 2011 is interesting but the cite lacks the number convicted under the jim crow case law.

bc.cruiser

Reading incomprehension

so BC, Kirbinator, and grape, where exactly is this nebulous NC statute(s) you kind folk believe refers to Gitta-up-and-whatever?

now remember valid STATUTES not a legislative wantabe concept!

hummm...

Since you mention me by name:

You apparently have joined forces with the media, making up your own narrative. Neither the OP, Kirbinator, or myself have mentioned "Statutes". The GATTTOP is a matter of common law (as pointed out by Grapeshot) until formalized, as it would be should HB746 ever becomes law.

An article: https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/going-armed-to-the-terror-of-the-people/

Tout it as you wish, HB746 has a long and rough way to go.

Last edited:

solus

Kirbinator
IIRC this is the third in a decade or so. I remember one was a guy in Wisconsin before they had concealed carry, so the only lawful carry was open. I'm told that NC has a provision to the open carry law that it may not cause alarm, and it appears that the paper is trying to invoke that clause by creating alarm where there is none. Like others, I shall wait for confirmation or clarification as to the nature of the incident and confirmation if it truly was a disarmed OCer.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I'm thinking you are referencing the provisions of the charge "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public (GATTOP)", and then extending the requirement of "intent" to action by a third party. Wrong, if that is what you are doing. You must not demonstrate intent to terrorize, but no other party can do it for you.

Since you mention me by name:

You apparently have joined forces with the media, making up your own narrative. Neither the OP, Kirbinator, or myself have mentioned "Statutes". The GATTTOP is a matter of common law (as pointed out by Grapeshot) until formalized, as it would be should HB746 ever becomes law.

An article: https://nccriminallaw.sog.unc.edu/going-armed-to-the-terror-of-the-people/

Tout it as you wish, HB746 has a long and rough way to go.

sorry, the first of your posts, quoted above, where you posted as highlighted material, shows you stating: I'm told that NC has a provision to the open carry law ... unquote, an apparent bit of subjective snit of knowledge where you needed the gentleman from VA to provide citation substantiation to your "i'm told" knowledge.

bc.cruiser

Solus: If you had actually read my first post, and the one above it (by Kirbinator) you might have noticed that the bolded line you attribute to me was actually a quote of Kirbinator. Quote me as you will, but I would appreciate that only what I said be attributed to me.

OC for ME

Who are the two other fellas listed on the report, both of the same address. Invaluable lesson regarding situational awareness and carrying with a reputable holster that provides more than adequate retention for the the everyday carry of a handgun in busy public places.

I carry, while hunting, in a leather M1916 style flap holster. Everyday wear is a level 2 retention holster.

WalkingWolf

That looks like Fayetteville's booking report, no explanation of events. From that I have no idea of what actually took place other than a gun was stolen, nothing about open carry.

Last two incidents of claimed OC gun snatch in Walmart both turned out to be conceal carry. One exposed his gun in the parking lot, and was attacked by a supposed concerned citizen. The other was carrying in the small of the back with a t-shirt covering, and the gun was snatched while the idiot was standing at the urinal. Most times the illusion of CC that nobody sees my gun so I don't have to pay attention is almost total loss of situational awareness. I am betting this is the case in this incident. Even with a level 1 holster the gun should not get snatched unless the person has their heads in the clouds, or the phone. I have seen a couple people carrying concealed where they were poorly concealed with the eyes glued to the screen of a smart phone. For some reason you just don't see OCers doing that.

OOPS I misread, I thought the victim was the perp, so it is not a booking report, but one lousy police report. Where is the narrative of what happened? It is completely blank at the area for it.

Last edited:

solus

review of the police report...

victim’s last name is not complete or incorrectly entered & jumbled as “al” is not a complete familial cultural name ~ should be “al”- something!

and i can’t figure out the couple’s association with the incident whatsoever?

also of interest...

1. no s/n listed. (how does the victim’s stolen property get entered in the big fbi database so when LEs stop some nice citizen and snatch n grab, under the auspices of “officer safety” the citizens firearm to check to see if their firearm is stolen!)

(sidebar, when i have reported stolen firearms i was told to go home get the s/n and call back in to provide it the nice LE so it could be entered in the national db.)

2. not one iota of a perp(s) physical description so other nice LEs can be on the lookout!

beginning to wonder what that rotten smell is from coming from Fayetteville.

Last edited:

solus

Al is the article in Arabic.

A friend retired professor of English literature is named (slightly changed) Charles Ben Landsey to my missives to him are addressed Charles bin Landsey - son of.

as stated, it is not a complete familial name culture name!

for clarification, the article is equivalent to the English word 'the;' so when Al is used as “the” as part of a name, it often goes back to someone at one time being the… (baker, tailor, guy from Baghdad, etc.).

your diversion to bin from 'al' is interesting but unnecessary distractor, so pray tell, please tell the august membership the victim's name as written from the supplied police report?

AL, SHEIKH MOHAMMED notice the spelling of the last name....The transliteration of the name from South Asian languages is more likely to yield Mohammed, whereas Muhammad is a closer transliteration of formal Arabic...

but Mohammed Alsheikh does exist...

solus

The name is not germane to the topic at hand.

you could be correct, however, this inaccuracy, one of many, on the nice LEs report, signed by their supervisor lend credibility concerns to the incident actually occuring!

further, the name might be an ethic bias toward the victim as it could show the nice LEs true concern about recovering the firearm and returning it to the victim later...

victim, ”i’m here to pick up my recovered firearm!” nice property LE, “ can i see some id?” victim showing appropriate state issued id! told by property LE, “sorry that’s not the name listed on our records!”

you are right, the name is not germaine...