• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer stoops robbery in Dayton.

RCall

Having noticed my obvious spelling mistake, if anybody can inform me how to fix the thread name please do so I can't figure it out

JoeSparky

Centurion
Having noticed my obvious spelling mistake, if anybody can inform me how to fix the thread name please do so I can't figure it out

Having read the linked article, don't worry about your SINGLE misspelled word... Don't they even run these articles through a spell checking program or an editor before publication?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I believe you log in. Go to the original post and hit edit. Edit the mistake and hit post. You don't have to give a reason for the save.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
One of the store's six customers saw what was happening and drew a .45-caliber handgun from his side. He pointed it at the robber and told him to leave, according to the report.
This is clearly imposable. Nothing of good could ever happen when allowing citizens to exercise their second amendment right.

I guess Circle K will get picketed by mommies hating guns.

wardtom084

I don't see myself asking him to leave. It would be more of ..don't turn around I have a gun pointing at you, slowly put your gun down on the counter and take one step back. If he had of done other wise I would have fired. Just getting him to leave leaves the world open to another problem as he could just go down the street and start his thing all over again.

SFCRetired

I don't see myself asking him to leave. It would be more of ..don't turn around I have a gun pointing at you, slowly put your gun down on the counter and take one step back. If he had of done other wise I would have fired. Just getting him to leave leaves the world open to another problem as he could just go down the street and start his thing all over again.

That is it, right there. Once he is disarmed, get him down on the floor. Have the clerk call for police. There is no good coming of letting the criminal leave.

IANAL, but seems to me you might be opening yourself to a charge of "aiding and abetting" by letting the criminal go. Would seem to be even more so if he left that store and went and robbed another.

RCall

The news story suggests that may have been what happened, that he may have robbed another place later in the day.

Last edited:

Brian D.

I don't think anybody who comes to these forums and gets what the laws, and our rights/responsibilities under them are, would have done like that OC'er in the story. If the guy would have run out of the store AFTER disarming but before complying with an order to get on the floor, well, at least he's left the weapon behind.

WalkingWolf

That is it, right there. Once he is disarmed, get him down on the floor. Have the clerk call for police. There is no good coming of letting the criminal leave.

IANAL, but seems to me you might be opening yourself to a charge of "aiding and abetting" by letting the criminal go. Would seem to be even more so if he left that store and went and robbed another.

Police are not bound to take any action, and the courts have made this clear. I do not see why the courts would hold a citizen accountable for not taking a action normally held for police. I would have done nothing, though I commend the person for risking his life. But if the threat was against me or mine, I would have done the same thing. My purpose for carrying is to prevent harm to those in my immediate family, that is it. Sorry to sound harsh but I could not care less what the criminal does after they are no longer a threat to myself. In fact I see that the thug runaway a blessing, because the threat level for everyone at that time and place was gone.

It is the police job and what they get paid for is to hunt down criminals, and make arrests.

F350

To quote that great sage Tuco "When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk".