• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer stopped (then released) at Milwaukee County Zoo

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
What is it with these people who want to OC at zoos? :rolleyes:

http://www.wisn.com/article/gun-rights-activist-stopped-at-milwaukee-county-zoo/12022294

"A gun-rights activist took his gun last weekend to the Milwaukee County Zoo, where he was stopped by sheriff's deputies.

William Polster rode his Harley to the zoo, wearing his signature gear -- his Second Amendment patches and his .45 caliber Glock.

"It was my girlfriend's birthday, and she likes elephants. That's why I was there," Polster said. "We walked into the farm exhibit area, the one officer pulls up, stops me and says we can't have the firearm in the park," he said.

Polster recorded the interaction with Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies. His video runs more than an hour as deputies checked on the law. Ultimately, they determined Polster was right.

The Milwaukee County Zoo told WISN 12 News it does not allow the open or concealed carry of any weapons in any Zoo building or during any posted special event. But state law exempts public grounds.

"You can carry on the grounds. You just can't carry in the buildings," Polster said. ..."

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
But for humanity of all and the children. We must stand up. We must engage. We must, we must........carry for our safety and the safety of our families.

Last edited:

Franky

The sheriff's deputies carried out their duty in a professional and responsible manner under the command of Sheriff David Clarke. MAGA!!!!

pkbites

The sheriff's deputies carried out their duty in a professional and responsible manner under the command of Sheriff David Clarke. MAGA!!!!

If Clarke is such a 2A supporter, why are his deputies not well versed in laws regarding carry?

When I retired from the S.O. carry laws were dramatically different. I started a second career with another agency and we have gone through hours of in-service training specifically involving carry laws so this kind of illegal detainment doesn't happen. I suppose the Deps could use good faith and ignorance of the law as a defense. But how easy do you think John Q. Public could use the same argument to get out of an illegal act?

WalkingWolf

If Clarke is such a 2A supporter, why are his deputies not well versed in laws regarding carry?

When I retired from the S.O. carry laws were dramatically different. I started a second career with another agency and we have gone through hours of in-service training specifically involving carry laws so this kind of illegal detainment doesn't happen. I suppose the Deps could use good faith and ignorance of the law as a defense. But how easy do you think John Q. Public could use the same argument to get out of an illegal act?

They probably needed to get a legal opinion, you do know what those are don't you. Or do you just wing it, enough with the Clarke hatred, unless you have some citations to back up your hatred. I get that he PO'd you at some time, and you are having a hard time getting over it. But don't throw that on me, or others that agree with him on issues, or you will end up on the ignore list like the other liberal. If that is what you are going for, just say so.

Last edited:

pkbites

They probably needed to get a legal opinion, you do know what those are don't you. Or do you just wing it, enough with the Clarke hatred, unless you have some citations to back up your hatred. I get that he PO'd you at some time, and you are having a hard time getting over it. But don't throw that on me, or others that agree with him on issues, or you will end up on the ignore list like the other liberal. If that is what you are going for, just say so.

You don't know me very well. I am by far not a liberal. Your insistence that those that oppose Clarke are is propaganda. Clarke has you bamboozled. My goal is to educate you. I've read your other posts, you appear to be too intelligent to be fooled by David Clarke, yet you are.

The carry law regarding public properties is 101 in the in-service training regarding Wisconsin firearms laws. This is not something they should have needed a legal opinion on. The training on this topic has been going on in this state since 2011.

What issues do you agree with Clarke on? Massive overtime budgets? Having Deputies and Corrections officers working repeated 17 hour shifts and 31 days without a single day off (99 days at the HOC). Harassing airline passengers that look at him funny on an airplane?

Oh, wait. He goes on the radio and says to shoot bad guys and be ruthless in your response towards them so Clarke is your big hero. Those messages are fine and I agree with them, but anyone can say them. He has failed many times over as Sheriff and those Deps should have known the rules/laws. The zoo is an assigned post for a Deputy Sheriff in Milwaukee County. There are SOP orders and regs for every assigned location, including laws that specifically affect that location. They should have known them and not detained that gentleman for doing nothing illegal.

Last edited:

pkbites

Citations?

25 years and honorably retired. Every assigned location for MSO has a standard operating procedure manual that also contains specific rules, laws and regulations for that location, such as for CJF, Mitchell, the Zoo, etc.. Annual required training included a test on items in the SOP.

After retirement started a second career with another agency. A 4-8 hour module included in the state required 24 hour in-service training is the massive changes in Wisconsin firearms carry laws. One of the several reasons for this is to avoid law suites that arise from illegal detainment and/or seizures. In the past there were a couple court cases that ruled in favor of OCers, and rightfully so.

That training is available on WILENET. However, it's a restricted site so me citing it won't satisfy you as you won't be able to see it. The training isn't on the public view section.

Between the post specific SOP and the state mandated training those Deps should have known that gentleman was not doing anything illegal. May I ask why you have no problem with an illegal seizure?

WalkingWolf

25 years and honorably retired. Every assigned location for MSO has a standard operating procedure manual that also contains specific rules, laws and regulations for that location, such as for CJF, Mitchell, the Zoo, etc.. Annual required training included a test on items in the SOP.

After retirement started a second career with another agency. A 4-8 hour module included in the state required 24 hour in-service training is the massive changes in Wisconsin firearms carry laws. One of the several reasons for this is to avoid law suites that arise from illegal detainment and/or seizures. In the past there were a couple court cases that ruled in favor of OCers, and rightfully so.

That training is available on WILENET. However, it's a restricted site so me citing it won't satisfy you as you won't be able to see it. The training isn't on the public view section.

Between the post specific SOP and the state mandated training those Deps should have known that gentleman was not doing anything illegal. May I ask why you have no problem with an illegal seizure?

IOW no citations. Bonjour

countryclubjoe

You don't know me very well. I am by far not a liberal. Your insistence that those that oppose Clarke are is propaganda. Clarke has you bamboozled. My goal is to educate you. I've read your other posts, you appear to be too intelligent to be fooled by David Clarke, yet you are.

The carry law regarding public properties is 101 in the in-service training regarding Wisconsin firearms laws. This is not something they should have needed a legal opinion on. The training on this topic has been going on in this state since 2011.

What issues do you agree with Clarke on? Massive overtime budgets? Having Deputies and Corrections officers working repeated 17 hour shifts and 31 days without a single day off (99 days at the HOC). Harassing airline passengers that look at him funny on an airplane?

Oh, wait. He goes on the radio and says to shoot bad guys and be ruthless in your response towards them so Clarke is your big hero. Those messages are fine and I agree with them, but anyone can say them. He has failed many times over as Sheriff and those Deps should have known the rules/laws. The zoo is an assigned post for a Deputy Sheriff in Milwaukee County. There are SOP orders and regs for every assigned location, including laws that specifically affect that location. They should have known them and not detained that gentleman for doing nothing illegal.

Clarke is a prolific violator of citizens constitutional rights (public record) therefore only makes sense that his minions are also rights violators.
Pk, please be advised, some here judge a person on their views of the 2nd amendment only, should you point out some flaws in their hero's, many like WW, resort to conjecture and name calling etc. Even if you stand up for" Liberty" for everyone and argue against tyranny some will denounce you.

Yes, if Clarke is such a 2nd amendment advocate why prey tell are his minions so very ignorant of the laws concerning gun rights in his county?

PK, you may need to reconsider your statement above in which you expounded, " you appear to be too intelligent".

In the words of Voltaire " it is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere"

Before DJT was elected he stated," I can shot someone on 5th avenue and still get elected" See the comparison about shooting people espouse by both DJT and the aforementioned criminal Clarke? Petty tyrants seem to possess the same ignorant mind-set.. And those SOME here that vehemently support said tyrants have the same mind-set...

Thank you for your insight.

My .02
CCJ

Last edited:

Franky

I watched the entire youtube video and apparently you did not. There was no seizure of ANY of Polster's property. Your claim to be a was/is cop is a maybe/or not situation that raises doubts with me. The video also substantiates the decision to let Polster carry at the zoo was made by a local DA who still had doubts after allowing Polster to carry. The DA explains why there is a possibility of illegal carry.

The deputies were courteous and professional and I give credit to their boss Sheriff David Clarke. MAGA!!!!

Last edited:

OC for ME

If a cop is unsure of the law(s) he desires to enforce he must not act.

"It was my girlfriend's birthday, and she likes elephants. That's why I was there," Polster said. "We walked into the farm exhibit area, the one officer pulls up, stops me and says we can't have the firearm in the park," he said.

Polster recorded the interaction with Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies. His video runs more than an hour as deputies checked on the law. Ultimately, they determined Polster was right.
These cops need to be severely punished for their violation of the citizen's rights. Revoke their LEO credentials permanently. Ignorance of the law is no excuse! No for us and not for them.

The deputies were courteous and professional and I give credit to their boss Sheriff David Clarke. MAGA!!!! - Franky
courteous? Perhaps, depending on your point of view. I am quite sure many a rouge cop was courteous while knowingly violating a citizen's rights. Professional? Not by a long shot they did not know the law(s) and as such cannot be professional.

pkbites

I watched the entire youtube video and apparently you did not. There was no seizure of ANY of Polster's property.

An investigative detention is a seizure in and of itself.

These cops need to be severely punished for their violation of the citizen's rights. Revoke their LEO credentials permanently.

Now that's just going overboard IMHO. This probably is a training issue and the fault of that incident is further up the chain. Doesn't absolve those Deputies, though.

I spoke with a fellow retired Deputy this morning who agrees with me that there may be some training issues regarding this at MCSO. That is not acceptable. OC on public land was codified over 5 years ago and training & standards has had in-service modules on it since then.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Northrup v. City of Toledo Police Div., 58 F. Supp. 3d 842 (N.D. Ohio 2014)
If it is appropriate to presume that citizens know the parameters of the criminal laws, it is surely appropriate to expect the same of law enforcement officers—at least with regard to unambiguous statutes. Heien v. North Carolina, 135 S. Ct. 530, 540 (2014).

Apparently the USSC made it clear.

OC for ME

An investigative detention is a seizure in and of itself.

Now that's just going overboard IMHO. This probably is a training issue and the fault of that incident is further up the chain. Doesn't absolve those Deputies, though.

I spoke with a fellow retired Deputy this morning who agrees with me that there may be some training issues regarding this at MCSO. That is not acceptable. OC on public land was codified over 5 years ago and training & standards has had in-service modules on it since then.
The higher ups did not violate the citizen's rights. If what you say is true regarding the bold statement then a permanent revocation of their LEO credentials is most certainly not going overboard.

OC for ME

The higher ups did not violate the citizen's rights. If what you say is true regarding the bold statement then a permanent revocation of their LEO credentials is most certainly not going overboard.
Sorry, forgot to bold.

That is not acceptable. OC on public land was codified over 5 years ago and training & standards has had in-service modules on it since then.

WalkingWolf

His beef is clearly with Clarke, so it does not matter how it was handled~~Clarke will always be wrong in his eyes.

I just want to know "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

pkbites

He is merely parroting Murky Mayatolyah Barrett and his chief sockpuppet Flynn

Ah, no. Just because I point out that Clarke is not a hero nor an effective Sheriff do not take it as an endorsement of those 2. They've made things even worse. Had it been up to them that gentleman at the zoo would be serving life for exercising his constitutional right.

Though on opposite sides of political ideology, Clarke and Barrett/Flynn remind me of 3 other gentlemen you may know of.