• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer cited for drunken driving faces OWI firearm charge

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...g-faces-firearm-charge-6b3jeq7-136292548.html
Gitte Laasby said:
A Milwaukee police detective accused of driving drunk on a Milwaukee County freeway while armed with a handgun is scheduled to appear in court Thursday after being charged with operating a firearm while intoxicated.
[ ... ]
Another deputy who was taking photos of the accident noticed a Wauwatosa firefighter passing a gun holster to Chicks. The deputy found three magazines of ammunition in the truck.
The firearms OWI does not ATM appear on his rap sheet.
Wisc. Stats. said:
§ 941.20 Endangering safety by use of dangerous weapon.
(1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:
(a) Endangers another’s safety by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon; or
(b) Operates or goes armed with a firearm while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant; or ...

Badger Johnson

I'm less afraid of this guy's operation of his firearm than his operation of a vehicle.

Cobra469

I'm afraid of both. But what is operation of a firearm? Doesn't say he used it. Should be operating a vehicle while drunk while armed. Or possession of a firearm while intoxicated. Oh well. Hopefully he will be forced to get some help and make smarter choices. He of all people should know better.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Milwaukee County Case Number 2011CM006568
The Defendant was charged with the following offense:
Count No.

Statute Cite Description Severity Offense Date Plea
1 941.20(1)(b) Operate Firearm While Intoxicated Misd. A 11-30-2011

thieltech

Milwaukee County Case Number 2011CM006568
The Defendant was charged with the following offense:
Count No.

Statute Cite Description Severity Offense Date Plea
1 941.20(1)(b) Operate Firearm While Intoxicated Misd. A 11-30-2011

how was he operating it ?? was he shooting at something ??????:shocker::shocker:

KBCraig

how was he operating it ?? was he shooting at something ??????:shocker::shocker:

It's not unheard of.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/FW-Officer-Faces-DUI-Gun-Charges-122711

FORT WORTH, Texas - A Fort Worth police officer was arrested on Monday for allegedly driving while intoxicated and providing a firearm to a felon.
According to investigators, Officer Daniel Gonzalez and an ex-con, Bobby Joe Newton, were driving around in the officer's personal vehicle while shooting his personal handgun.

They said Gonzlalez shot a street lamp before giving the gun to Newton, who shot a street sign several times.

thieltech

It's not unheard of.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/FW-Officer-Faces-DUI-Gun-Charges-122711

FORT WORTH, Texas - A Fort Worth police officer was arrested on Monday for allegedly driving while intoxicated and providing a firearm to a felon.
According to investigators, Officer Daniel Gonzalez and an ex-con, Bobby Joe Newton, were driving around in the officer's personal vehicle while shooting his personal handgun.

They said Gonzlalez shot a street lamp before giving the gun to Newton, who shot a street sign several times.

wow , thats freakin unreal ..... do these cops think :shocker: ? im not even sure when i was 18 i thought of doin crape like that :eek:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Is mere posession considered operating?

This should frighten everyone! Not that a cop was drunk driving, but that they are trying to nail him with intoxicated use of a firearm.

At any point did the cop remove the firearm from its holster, threaten anyone with it, point it at anyone?

Yeah, he is stupid for OWI, but does being under the influence make ones right to self defense null and void???

E6chevron

This should frighten everyone! Not that a cop was drunk driving, but that they are trying to nail him with intoxicated use of a firearm.

At any point did the cop remove the firearm from its holster, threaten anyone with it, point it at anyone?

Yeah, he is stupid for OWI, but does being under the influence make ones right to self defense null and void???

The citation to the statute was posted earlier, by Herr HK, indicated the exact words for the statute paragraph quoted:

941.20(1)(b) Operates or goes armed with a firearm while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant; or

When recording the description of that 941.20(1)(b) paragraph in court systems, it would be routine to see it shortened to "Operating under the influence" even though, for this particular case, the actual evidence and testimony is expected to support, the "goes armed with" portion of the statute.

Last edited:

MKEgal

He has 5 case numbers:
2011TR037337 346.63(1)(a) OWI (1st)
2011TR037338 346.63(1)(b) Operating w/ PAC >=0.15 (1st)
2011TR037339 346.89(1) Inattentive Driving
2011TR037340 346.57(2) Unreasonable and Imprudent Speed
All of which are forfeitures... yes, even the drunk driving charges, because it's "only" the first time he's been caught. :mad: (Wonder why they didn't put them all on one charge? I've seen other cases with several statutes on one charge #.)

2011CM006568 941.20(1)(b) Operate Firearm While Intoxicated
Which is an A misdemeanor.
I agree it's not stated clearly in the charge; probably should be "going armed with", but they're in the same sentence. Might be amended in court tomorrow.

If the BAC is correct, and if that holster the firefighter handed him had a pistol, he was clearly "armed with" while drunk.

OTOH, this article says the pistol was "in the car". Merely having it in the car isn't "going armed with".

If it were, say, in the trunk (especially if he'd been the least bit smart & put it in a safe) that wouldn't be "going armed with".

more than an hour and a half after the crash - Chicks' blood-alcohol level was 0.139
Which means that at the time of the crash it could have been over 0.15, & had decreased an average of 0.015 per hour... (see pg 5 & 6 of this PDF &/or this wiki.)
or it could have been lower & alcohol was still being absorbed while they #$&@ around for 90 min on scene & getting him to the hospital to have his blood drawn.
Either way, I'd lay odds that he was over 0.08% when he crashed.

And amazingly, it seems that there's a real house address listed on the court website, not a work address:
8200 W Daphne Ave.; Milwaukee; 53224
(Whether or not it's actually his...?)

BTW, he's a detective, not just a regular LEO.
Let's see if he gets a "do not posess" order, for either "weapons" or motor vehicles.
(IIRC, the ND cop trespassing @ Southridge isn't prohibited, even though he broke the law & had a high potential of causing serious injury or death.) :cuss:
WI court case search page

Last edited:

Packfanatic

Power

He has 5 case numbers:
2011TR037337 346.63(1)(a) OWI (1st)
2011TR037338 346.63(1)(b) Operating w/ PAC >=0.15 (1st)
2011TR037339 346.89(1) Inattentive Driving
2011TR037340 346.57(2) Unreasonable and Imprudent Speed
All of which are forfeitures... yes, even the drunk driving charges, because it's "only" the first time he's been caught. :mad: (Wonder why they didn't put them all on one charge? I've seen other cases with several statutes on one charge #.)

2011CM006568 941.20(1)(b) Operate Firearm While Intoxicated
Which is an A misdemeanor.
I agree it's not stated clearly in the charge; probably should be "going armed with", but they're in the same sentence. Might be amended in court tomorrow.

If the BAC is correct, and if that holster the firefighter handed him had a pistol, he was clearly "armed with" while drunk.

OTOH, this article says the pistol was "in the car". Merely having it in the car isn't "going armed with".

If it were, say, in the trunk (especially if he'd been the least bit smart & put it in a safe) that wouldn't be "going armed with".

Which means that at the time of the crash it could have been over 0.15, & had decreased an average of 0.15 per hour... (see pg 5 & 6 of this PDF &/or this wiki.)
or it could have been lower & alcohol was still being absorbed while they #$&@ around for 90 min on scene & getting him to the hospital to have his blood drawn.
Either way, I'd lay odds that he was over 0.08% when he crashed.

And amazingly, it seems that there's a real house address listed on the court website, not a work address:
8200 W Daphne Ave.; Milwaukee; 53224
(Whether or not it's actually his...?)

BTW, he's a detective, not just a regular LEO.
Let's see if he gets a "do not posess" order, for either "weapons" or motor vehicles.
(IIRC, the ND cop trespassing @ Southridge isn't prohibited, even though he broke the law & had a high potential of causing serious injury or death.) :cuss:
WI court case search page
Us mortals will be charged with whatever needs to be to generate income for the system and the lawyers. In a case like this he will plea bargain get a slap on the wrist and no consfication. he is above the law don;t ya know.... but you or I do this and we are HOSED.....

MKEgal

As of the hearing today, none of the traffic citations include a restriction on driving or possessing a motor vehicle or cell phone.

The OWI (firearm) citation does not include a restriction on possession of "weapons".
The restrictions are:
Absolute sobriety. Not to drive unless has a valid driver's license. Defendant advised it is a requirement to attend all future court proceedings.

Anyone want to try to claim that regular citizens aren't second class?
:cuss: :mad: