• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ohio renaissance festival

solus

Mike, at renfest the costumes of the period which visitors carry their long & broad swords in their scabbard, stilettos & daggers in their sheath must be “safety” tied with leather strapping.

Go enjoy the event’s activities and eat a turkey leg for me!

Oh if they are appearing, ensure you enjoy the “wash’n wenches” and to get the full benefit of their show, sit up close to the stage...😏

JustaShooter

They require all weapons to be "peace-tied", but I'm sure they are thinking swords, daggers, etc. - I have no idea how they would react to open carry of a handgun, even "peace-tied", nor do I know if they post the venue. If you find out, please post back.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
They require all weapons to be "peace-tied", but I'm sure they are thinking swords, daggers, etc. - I have no idea how they would react to open carry of a handgun, even "peace-tied", nor do I know if they post the venue. If you find out, please post back.
Actual wording from website.
Please observe the village policies: No pets. No outside food or beverage may be brought into festival. All weapons must be tied in a sheath at all times.

Merriam-Webster
Definition of sheath
1 : a case for a blade (as of a knife)

The sentence has nothing to do with firearms.

If there is another policy I did not see it.

JustaShooter

If there is another policy I did not see it.
Also from the website, at https://www.renfestival.com/10-things-you-should-know-before-going-to-the-ohio-renaissance-festival/

#4 Peace-Tied to Keep The Peace

You know that $400 sword you just bought? Put it in the handcrafted leather scabbard that matches your outfit and zip tie it there! That’s right, weapons on festival grounds need to stay sheathed, or “peace-tied” to ensure the safety of everyone on the grounds. Believe me, there will be plenty of time for you to pose with it before it gets placed on your wall about ye olde fireplace. But while visiting the faire, please be sure to respect others and use a zip tie or a ribbon to ensure it will stay put. This goes for axes, spears, daggers, whips and any other weapon you brought to complete your aesthetic.
(Emphasis mine)

And regardless of the website policy, we still don't know what, if any, signage is posted at the venue, nor how the staff will react to a sidearm, whether "peace tied" or not.

(As an aside, other definitions of the word "sheath" include items other than blades, so I would hesitate to rely on that as a reason to *not* peace tie an openly carried handgun and expect to pass muster.)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Also from the website, at https://www.renfestival.com/10-things-you-should-know-before-going-to-the-ohio-renaissance-festival/

#4 Peace-Tied to Keep The Peace
You know that $400 sword you just bought? Put it in the handcrafted leather scabbard that matches your outfit and zip tie it there! That’s right, weapons on festival grounds need to stay sheathed, or “peace-tied” to ensure the safety of everyone on the grounds. Believe me, there will be plenty of time for you to pose with it before it gets placed on your wall about ye olde fireplace. But while visiting the faire, please be sure to respect others and use a zip tie or a ribbon to ensure it will stay put. This goes for axes, spears, daggers, whips and any other weapon you brought to complete your aesthetic.
(Emphasis mine)

And regardless of the website policy, we still don't know what, if any, signage is posted at the venue, nor how the staff will react to a sidearm, whether "peace tied" or not.

(As an aside, other definitions of the word "sheath" include items other than blades, so I would hesitate to rely on that as a reason to *not* peace tie an openly carried handgun and expect to pass muster.)
Les not take the paragraph out of context, especially the last sentence. "This goes for axes, spears, daggers, whips and any other weapon you brought to complete your aesthetic." Meaning your costume of the period. "[A]ny other weapon" refers to the first sentence, that being a sword. Nowhere do they even suggest they are referring to firearms.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Ohio is an open carry state. The cops just don't know it.
Feel free to point out specific cities where you think/know this is the case.

I'm sure we can find an Ohioan to address the matter.

On the other hand, in general there is no charge for open records requests, should you have the information sent to you electronically.

Ghost1958

Feel free to point out specific cities where you think/know this is the case.

I'm sure we can find an Ohioan to address the matter.

On the other hand, in general there is no charge for open records requests, should you have the information sent to you electronically.
That Ohio is an open carry state?

Or that Ohio cops behave as,if it isnt?

The latter I have first hand knowledge of.
Portsmouth LE will even try to bluff ky LE that they will arrest them for OC , in uniform, on official business.

Don't nerd to request diddly.
Lived it. And,know others who have,also.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
That Ohio is an open carry state?

Or that Ohio cops behave as,if it isnt?

The latter I have first hand knowledge of.
Portsmouth LE will even try to bluff ky LE that they will arrest them for OC , in uniform, on official business.

Don't nerd to request diddly.
Lived it. And,know others who have,also.
Okay, so you tar all of Ohio's police agencies ("The cops just don't know it.") because of one city?

OMG.

Well, since for whatever reason you seemed to be opposed to taking steps to hold them to account, *I* will do so - unless Color of Law beats me to it.

:)

P.S. - my apologies for taking this thread off track. I will start another thread specific to Portsmouth (and whatever other cities Ghost1958, et al, identify) for edumacation.

Last edited:

Ghost1958

Okay, so you tar all of Ohio's police agencies ("The cops just don't know it.") because of one city?

OMG.

Well, since for whatever reason you seemed to be opposed to taking steps to hold them to account, *I* will do so - unless Color of Law beats me to it.

:)

P.S. - my apologies for taking this thread off track. I will start another thread specific to Portsmouth (and whatever other cities Ghost1958, et al, identify) for edumacation.

Akron, Columbus, OHP, Cinncinati , Dayton etc.

Let me rephrase. They know , but don't care. OC is legal in Ohio but LE reaction to it keeps most gun owners from enduring the hassle of doing it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Akron, Columbus, OHP, Cinncinati , Dayton etc.

Let me rephrase. They know , but don't care. OC is legal in Ohio but LE reaction to it keeps most gun owners from enduring the hassle of doing it.
Now you're just throwing things out to see what sticks.

I know for a fact that Cincinnati and Columbus have written policies (and have had for years) that make it clear that OC is legal, and is not grounds *by itself* for inducing panic or disorderly conduct charges. I've OCed in each of those cities as well as Akron and Dayton.

In addition, Cleveland has a similar written policy.

If you've had trouble in those or other places, let me suggest that your disinterest in "nerd(ing) to request diddly" is why such alleged things have continued.

As for your statement that "...LE reaction to it keeps most gun owners from enduring the hassle of doing it." I call total male cow droppings.

I've and a number of others have OCed all over Ohio, including on public transportation (license required in Ohio in/on vehicles), at the Statehouse grounds, and on public college campuses, and either a) never had a problem, or b) if there was a problem, it was handled by a higher ranked officer, or a note/public records request to the law department of the city in question - and that hasn't happened for quite a while.

Unless you have specific information about recent trouble in any of the places you've identified, including Portsmouth, I'm not going to waste any more of my time on the subject.

Last edited:

Ghost1958

I know for a fact that Cincinnati and Columbus have written policies (and have had for years) that make it clear that OC is legal, and is not grounds *by itself* for inducing panic or disorderly conduct charges. I've OCed in each of those cities as well as Akron and Dayton.

If you've had trouble in those or other places, let me suggest that your disinterest in "nerd(ing) to request diddly" is why such alleged things have continued.

As for your statement that "...LE reaction to it keeps most gun owners from enduring the hassle of doing it." I call total male cow droppings.

I've and a number of others have OCed all over Ohio, including on public transportation (license required in Ohio in/on vehicles), at the Statehouse grounds, and on public college campuses, and either a) never had a problem, or b) if there was a problem, it was handled by a higher ranked officer, or a note/public records request to the law department of the city in question - and that hasn't happened for quite a while.

Unless you have specific information about recent trouble in any of the places you've identified, including Portsmouth, I'm not going to waste any more of my time on the subject.
Call B.S. all you like.

Facts are the facts . I lived in Ohio for a while , in several cities.

Let the OP open carry there thinking he won't be hassled. It was just a friendly heads to him. Nothing to do with you.

Anyway , no skin off my nose . Think what you want.

Ghost1958

Personally I wish you hadn't wasted your or my time responding to try to contradict a well, known decades long , fact.

solus

Personally I wish you hadn't wasted your or my time responding to try to contradict a well, known decades long , fact.

Sorry ghost, this member has never experienced any difficulty OC’g in the ‘decades’ i have been associated with the buckeye state...[does not include eastern ohio - Youngstown etc.]

You spoke in generalizations are there specific you might provide to quantify your commentary forbclarity?

Ghost1958

Sorry ghost, this member has never experienced any difficulty OC’g in the ‘decades’ i have been associated with the buckeye state...[does not include eastern ohio - Youngstown etc.]

You spoke in generalizations are there specific you might provide to quantify your commentary forbclarity?

Nah buddy. Most of my personal knowledge has been either myself, which I wasn't actually arrested thougb drawn down on by a circle of 6 cruisers 2 officers to a car, at a convience store south of Akron. That's one instance. There are more but I don't care anymore if the OP OCs there or not.
Who knows he might skate by.

JustaShooter

I lived in Ohio for a while , in several cities.
How long ago was that? Much has happened in the past decade - although I wouldn't go so far as to say that all LEAs in Ohio handle OC properly, from personal experience, and from reports by others like BB62, MWSY, etc., it is rare to encounter anything like you mentioned.