• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Old Faithful Holster Review and Concealed Carry Wardrobe for WOMEN

mrsjero1987

Hi!

Many of you have likely realized that concealed carry is much more difficult for women. Recently I had the opportunity to break in a new inside the waistband holster, and develop some simple steps for designing a concealed carry wardrobe. It really is simple and there is no reason that any woman could not incorporate those steps into her dressing style.

http://www.neverevererin.com/designed-a-concealed-carry-wardrobe/

I'd love to hear any of your thoughts/ideas :0)

Quick Draw

Nice write up. My girl friend and I have been trying to figure something out that works for her. I am skinny but I can pull off hiding my little .380 just about anywhere. I can even make a full size disappear with a small amount of effort. She's roughly the same size as I am so I figured it would work for her too. But when it came down to trying to conceal on her I finally came to the conclusion of "Wow, you are not shaped like I am AT ALL..." Yes, men and women are very different. So that was my "Duh" statement of the day.

For her, she has a very long upper body. She can't really find shirts that will cover her butt. Appendix carry makes her look like she has a package. Small of the back looks like she has a tail. It hides a little better at 3 o'clock. But in general, she definitely can't pull it off with her normal jeans and a t shirt wardrobe. So whereas I had to change absolutely nothing to CC, she is going to have to change everything. No more jeans (at least not ones that are tight), and no more t-shirts without a cover garment.

I like that she shows off her figure some and I don't want to change that, and neither does she. So finding something that works may be challenging. I will pass this along to her. Thanks for posting!

Sorcice

Hi!

Many of you have likely realized that concealed carry is much more difficult for women. Recently I had the opportunity to break in a new inside the waistband holster, and develop some simple steps for designing a concealed carry wardrobe. It really is simple and there is no reason that any woman could not incorporate those steps into her dressing style.

http://www.neverevererin.com/designed-a-concealed-carry-wardrobe/

I'd love to hear any of your thoughts/ideas :0)

Nice write up and to add to this I found this video last year while looking for a friend of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

mrsjero1987

Nice write up. My girl friend and I have been trying to figure something out that works for her. I am skinny but I can pull off hiding my little .380 just about anywhere. I can even make a full size disappear with a small amount of effort. She's roughly the same size as I am so I figured it would work for her too. But when it came down to trying to conceal on her I finally came to the conclusion of "Wow, you are not shaped like I am AT ALL..." Yes, men and women are very different. So that was my "Duh" statement of the day.

For her, she has a very long upper body. She can't really find shirts that will cover her butt. Appendix carry makes her look like she has a package. Small of the back looks like she has a tail. It hides a little better at 3 o'clock. But in general, she definitely can't pull it off with her normal jeans and a t shirt wardrobe. So whereas I had to change absolutely nothing to CC, she is going to have to change everything. No more jeans (at least not ones that are tight), and no more t-shirts without a cover garment.

I like that she shows off her figure some and I don't want to change that, and neither does she. So finding something that works may be challenging. I will pass this along to her. Thanks for posting!

Thanks! I completely understand. My husband is tall and skinny as a rail. He wears an outside the waist band holster with a long dress shirt and BAM he's concealed carrying. I was soo jealous and just absolutely frustrated. I didn't want to have to change anything, and I think that is the most difficult for us women. However, I think there can be a few changes. For example there are some really chill cover garments one could wear with tshirts. I know when I shoot IDPA (my youtube username is Janebondppk) my cover garment is a grey cover that I could easily wear with tshirts. Something she may want to try is a bra holster. The Flashbang is supposed to be really awesome.

Encourage her to keep searching, trying, and I bet she'll be able to figure out something that works for her :0)

mrsjero1987

Nice write up and to add to this I found this video last year while looking for a friend of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Thank you! I really enjoyed writing the article!

I LOVE that video by Falia and another video that is very similar by LimaLife. That is why I wanted to make sure to link to both of their YouTube channels in the article. I hoped to be able to bring all of that information together. I know it is easier to see the diversity of outfits available and how to wear them in a video. Thanks for posting! :0)

mrsjero1987

Open Carry is much more comfortable, more simple, attractive, and the focus of this site. :banana:

I wouldn't agree that open carry is always more comfortable, but granted I've been using a plastic paddle holster instead of a comfy leather one. I really need to update that ;0). I definitely support open carry, and carry that way around town most of the time. However, there are times when we cannot open carry, especially at work, so I thought it might be helpful to share my experiences to simplify that option for women. I figure carrying in any fashion is better than not carrying at all.

Thanks for commenting!

WalkingWolf

I wouldn't agree that open carry is always more comfortable, but granted I've been using a plastic paddle holster instead of a comfy leather one. I really need to update that ;0). I definitely support open carry, and carry that way around town most of the time. However, there are times when we cannot open carry, especially at work, so I thought it might be helpful to share my experiences to simplify that option for women. I figure carrying in any fashion is better than not carrying at all.

Thanks for commenting!

Is it acceptable to carry at work? What is the Virginia law on concealed carry in a business where the owner has prohibited such? Here in NC if it is against policy of a business for a person to carry a firearm, the permit is useless, the person would be breaking the law, and lose their permit.

Though losing a permit, and going to jail is better than going to the morgue.

mrsjero1987

Is it acceptable to carry at work? What is the Virginia law on concealed carry in a business where the owner has prohibited such? Here in NC if it is against policy of a business for a person to carry a firearm, the permit is useless, the person would be breaking the law, and lose their permit.

Though losing a permit, and going to jail is better than going to the morgue.

Generally speaking in VA concealed carry is acceptable unless there is a posted sign at the entrance. Most likely in VA if you are concealing somewhere that has a posted sign you would be asked to leave/ charged for trespassing. However, there is always the possibility of losing your license though it is unlikely.

WalkingWolf

Generally speaking in VA concealed carry is acceptable unless there is a posted sign at the entrance. Most likely in VA if you are concealing somewhere that has a posted sign you would be asked to leave/ charged for trespassing. However, there is always the possibility of losing your license though it is unlikely.

What is the law when there is company policy notifying the employee that carrying handguns at work is prohibited? Does the notification carry the same weight as a sign? In other words if a person is informed not to carry by a member of management as a representative of the company or it is written policy, can the employee be charged with a crime for ignoring the policy?

mrsjero1987

What is the law when there is company policy notifying the employee that carrying handguns at work is prohibited? Does the notification carry the same weight as a sign? In other words if a person is informed not to carry by a member of management as a representative of the company or it is written policy, can the employee be charged with a crime for ignoring the policy?

You, because you are affiliated with that company and are aware of that policy despite that it is not posted, do need to adhere to that. According to the husband (who tends to know more of this information) you could be charged with trespassing if you were knowingly carrying against signs/policies.

WalkingWolf

You, because you are affiliated with that company and are aware of that policy despite that it is not posted, do need to adhere to that. According to the husband (who tends to know more of this information) you could be charged with trespassing if you were knowingly carrying against signs/policies.

Thank You, by no means am I telling anyone what to do. Personally I feel the safety of my wife is more important than the law. But then she would not be very safe in jail either. IMO if the business allows carry, open carry would make my spouse safer than concealed carry. If my wife was to find herself in a situation needing deadly force her stuff is already up a stream without a paddle. Though she would at least have a chance.

The problem with concealed unless it is in a purse is most people can see a person is concealing, if they are paying attention. Sooner or later it will get sticky. Heck I worked for a employer and everybody assumed I was armed even though I was not. I found this out when the boss asked me to accompany him to the bank. When I asked why he wanted me he said because I was armed, I cleared him up on his mistake. I was working as a meat cutter at the time. Everybody knew I was a former LEO, I guess they assumed I was armed because of it.

mrsjero1987

Thank You, by no means am I telling anyone what to do. Personally I feel the safety of my wife is more important than the law. But then she would not be very safe in jail either. IMO if the business allows carry, open carry would make my spouse safer than concealed carry. If my wife was to find herself in a situation needing deadly force her stuff is already up a stream without a paddle. Though she would at least have a chance.

The problem with concealed unless it is in a purse is most people can see a person is concealing, if they are paying attention. Sooner or later it will get sticky. Heck I worked for a employer and everybody assumed I was armed even though I was not. I found this out when the boss asked me to accompany him to the bank. When I asked why he wanted me he said because I was armed, I cleared him up on his mistake. I was working as a meat cutter at the time. Everybody knew I was a former LEO, I guess they assumed I was armed because of it.

You are very welcome. It is neat to compare the laws between states. We try to open carry as much as possible because we want people to see that citizens carrying guns is normal. It is easier to get to an openly carried gun versus one that is concealed, especially if the person has not trained for such an occasion. I would disagree that most people can see a person is concealing, depending on the holster you cannot tell. Someone may be able to see a "lump" if they are really looking, but most likely they won't be looking for it to see it. When we open carry many times people do not even notice that.

Personally, there are some times that it is just easier to conceal out of respect/simplicity. For example at work I counsel people from various backgrounds who likely have mixed feelings regarding the use of self defense/guns. So, since there is no sign, no policy posted, etc I conceal carry and thereby have a layer of protection. Another example of where I conceal carry is at church; there are no signs prohibiting and the Attorney General recently stated that "self defense" was a "good and sufficient reason to carry in a place of worship." There is another local church where everyone open carries at church as everyone is on the same page in their understanding. However, I go to a large church with again likely mixed opinions, and do not want to cause a distraction from our purpose of being there, while I also do not want to be a victim.

I definitely am mostly a fan of and support open carry, hence my presence on this page. However, I just like having other discrete/covert options when necessary.

Motofixxer

Sometimes an ankle holster can work good, depending on the jeans. Otherwise depending on the size of the firearm, most compact disappear in a simple single clip IWB.