• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olmos, TX police injure and arrest open carrier - President of Open Carry Texas

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pZe1IngwNs&feature=youtu.be

Press release from Open Carry Texas:

Olmos Park Police Terrorize, Arrest Lawful Gun Owners

OLMOS PARK, TX— On Tuesday evening, Open Carry Texas founder CJ Grisham was one of multiplelawful gun owners arrested on a public sidewalk in Olmos Park, Texas. Grisham was open carrying a gun and filming the police when he was approached by the police chief and tasered.

Grisham spoke to Olmos Park Police Chief Rene Valenciano via phone on Monday. A video of the conversation is posted online to YouTube. Grisham asked Valenciano if recent police interactions with gun owners are acceptable. “I don’t think it’s an issue that I need to address,” said Valenciano.

“Am I going to be forced on my face if I open carry there, at gun point,” Grisham asked Valenciano.

“I’m not even gonna respond to that question, sir, that’s a very unreasonable question to ask,” said Valenciano.“Provided that you have a license to carry a handgun and you are not committing any criminal activity, you don’t have anything to worry about.”

Grisham streamed live to Facebook a video of Tuesday’s scandal. In that video, Valenciano told Grisham to get on the ground. “Are you the police chief,” asked Grisham.

Valenciano, approaching Grisham, replied: “I am. Get on the ground.”

Moments later, Valenciano threatened the gun owners with a taser. Grisham was tasered and suffered an injury.

Although fire engine sirens are heard in Grisham’s video, the police department refused to allow fire and EMS access to treat to the injured patients.

While in custody, Grisham repeatedly asked officers what crime he committed. The police refused to answer.

“Chief Valenciano believes the Olmos Park Police Department is above the law and appears to enjoy terrorizing lawful gun owners,” said David Amad, Vice President of Open Carry Texas. “Open Carry Texas will not allow such outrageous abuse by government officials against law abiding Texans. We will fight until Olmos Park respects the constitutional rights of citizens and the laws of the State of Texas.

”Texas law allows gun owners to carry handguns openly with a license and long guns such as rifles and shotguns openly without a license. Texas law prohibits municipalities from creating and enforcing gun laws that are more restrictive than state gun laws.

###CJ Grisham is a retired Army First Sergeant and Counterintelligence Special Agent and founder of Open CarryTexas. Open Carry Texas is a non-profit organization dedicated to the safe and legal carry of firearms openly inthe state of Texas in accordance with the United States and Texas Constitutions.

Link to press release: https://cjgrisham.com/OlmosParkTerrorizeGunOwners_OpenCarryTexas.pdf

LEGAL representation: https://www.selfdefensefund.com/fou...ts-group-illegally-arrested-olmos-park-texas/

Last edited:

hammer6

“Open Carry Texas will not allow such outrageous abuse by government officials against law abiding Texans. We will fight until Olmos Park respects the constitutional rights of citizens and the laws of the State of Texas.
/URL]

I've been following OCT for a while now...they need some type of change in tactics. I have a hard time believing this sentence when they seem to do nothing about the fact that the Texas government gives private businesses the legal authority to prohibit a fundamental right by posting a 30.06 or 30.07 sign. There's been no fight of this law for the years I've been following them. Maybe they are. IDK. But from what I've seen being active in their Facebook and paying attention to CJ, I think their tactics are tired. They keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. The police aren't listening to them. Neither is their government. I feel like they're deceiving themselves.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

solus

Well said

I've been following OCT for a while now...they need some type of change in tactics. I have a hard time believing this sentence when they seem to do nothing about the fact that the Texas government gives private businesses the legal authority to prohibit a fundamental right by posting a 30.06 or 30.07 sign. There's been no fight of this law for the years I've been following them. Maybe they are. IDK. But from what I've seen being active in their Facebook and paying attention to CJ, I think their tactics are tired. They keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. The police aren't listening to them. Neither is their government. I feel like they're deceiving themselves.

Nicely stated...

As pointed out during the OCT’s & other grassroot’s OC campaign several years ago, their tactics of carrying long guns slung across the individual’s chest into businesses generated more negative publicity then not and came very close to causing the TX OC initiative to fail!

IMHO, these armed video staged youtube events against the nice LE is going to backfire on either the stagers, oh wait it did in WI i do believe, or a terrorist/extremist will stage something similar, LE will believe it is nothing but a publicity stunt, let their guard down and you may finish the scenario from there! But Dallas PD used a robot with a brick of C4 to end their confrontation.

Last edited:

hammer6

Nicely stated...

As pointed out during the OCT’s & other grassroot’s OC campaign several years ago, their tactics of carrying long guns slung across the individual’s chest into businesses generated more negative publicity then not and came very close to causing the TX OC initiative to fail!

IMHO, these armed video staged youtube events against the nice LE is going to backfire on either the stagers, oh wait it did in WI i do believe, or a terrorist/extremist will stage something similar, LE will believe it is nothing but a publicity stunt, let their guard down and you may finish the scenario from there! But Dallas PD used a robot with a brick of C4 to end their confrontation.

and i just got banned from their facebook group for pointing out that they are acting highly emotional and are not being rational. go figure. posting all kinds of rants about how CJ grisham was tazed and abused, and they are stirring up emotion, but don't have a realistic plan of action nor are they rational about anything in all of the threads and comments. i said, "don't tell me that CJ was ignorant to the possible outcomes before he open carried. you need to relax and be calm because government officials aren't going to listen to you otherwise. the same thing gun rights people are making fun of the 'march for our lives' people for doing, YOU are doing in this current situation." and then BOOM ban hammer. way to be open minded and have civil discussion! now i know why they aren't getting things accomplished in that state!

and thank you solus.

Last edited:

solus

BB62;2230304 snipppp... ###CJ Grisham is a retired Army First Sergeant and Counterintelligence Special Agent and founder of Open CarryTexas. Open Carry Texas is a non-profit organization dedicated to the safe and legal carry of firearms openly inthe state of Texas in accordance with the United States and Texas Constitutions. [/QUOTE said:
when one checks wiki for the quote above, it seems there is no info any more for the illustrious mr grisham on their site:

[FONT=&quot]C. J. Grisham[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Look for C. J. Grisham on one of Wikipedia's sister projects:
Wiktionary (free dictionary)
Wikibooks (free textbooks)
Wikiquote (quotations)
Wikisource (free library)
Wikiversity (free learning resources)
Commons (images and media)
Wikivoyage (free travel guide)
Wikinews (free news source)
Wikidata (free linked database)

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for C. J. Grisham in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

Other reasons this message may be displayed:

[/FONT]

hammer6

when one checks wiki for the quote above, it seems there is no info any more for the illustrious mr grisham on their site:

[FONT=&quot]C. J. Grisham[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Look for C. J. Grisham on one of Wikipedia's sister projects:
Wiktionary (free dictionary)
Wikibooks (free textbooks)
Wikiquote (quotations)
Wikisource (free library)
Wikiversity (free learning resources)
Commons (images and media)
Wikivoyage (free travel guide)
Wikinews (free news source)
Wikidata (free linked database)

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for C. J. Grisham in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.

Other reasons this message may be displayed:

[/FONT]

https://cjgrisham.com/About.php ?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Hale and hearty - stout hearted fellow...
icon14.png

hammer6

Oh please, please not to his political site, horrors!

Any place but there...i may have to commit (nationality deleted due to forum protocol) suicide ~ jump out of a basement window - you don’t think i want to hurt myself, i just make a point!

i get it

stealthyeliminator

You're wrong. First of all, while the 30.06 and 30.07 statutes have their problems, private property owners generally should be able to make rules, even if open to the public for business. That said, progress has been made on the front, like penalty reduction for violation. Additionally, the number of businesses who post doesn't appear to be many, so, likely, there are more important initiatives to prioritize.

OCT is not trying the same tactic expecting a different result. OCT's activism has been successful in many cases, so I would say they're continuing the same tactic expecting it to continue performing. The successes do not make the news, as we all know very well.

Nicely stated...

You are also wrong. Thousands of hours have been logged performing this sort of activism with positive results, yet you see a few minutes worth that result in assault and arrest of the OCer and pass negative judgement on the whole lot? Please...

This sort of activism absolutely did not "come very close to causing the TX OC initiative to fail" - this sort of activism WAS THE TX OC initiative. Without OCT and its activism, we would not have OC in Texas today.

and i just got banned from their facebook group for pointing out that they are acting highly emotional and are not being rational. go figure. posting all kinds of rants about how CJ grisham was tazed and abused, and they are stirring up emotion, but don't have a realistic plan of action nor are they rational about anything in all of the threads and comments. i said, "don't tell me that CJ was ignorant to the possible outcomes before he open carried. you need to relax and be calm because government officials aren't going to listen to you otherwise. the same thing gun rights people are making fun of the 'march for our lives' people for doing, YOU are doing in this current situation." and then BOOM ban hammer. way to be open minded and have civil discussion! now i know why they aren't getting things accomplished in that state!

and thank you solus.
IMO, the wrong people have found themselves in leadership positions within the organization. It is unfortunate. Sorry about your ban.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

C. J. Grisham (partial quote below)

I hardly think that Wikipedia is an authoritative source on whether a non-celebrity someone is "someone" enough so that one has an entry there, BUT...

Grisham recently addressed the lack of Wikipedia entry by stating on Facebook something like because of malicious/inaccurate entries by an individual he named, Wikipedia had removed his "article" or whatever they call a profile of an individual.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Nicely stated...

As pointed out during the OCT’s & other grassroot’s OC campaign several years ago, their tactics of carrying long guns slung across the individual’s chest into businesses generated more negative publicity then not and came very close to causing the TX OC initiative to fail! ...
To the best of my knowledge, that OCing long guns in businesses was done with the owner/manager's assent. Also, another group called Open Carry Tarrant County was often confused/conflated with OCT.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This is a good example of how NOT to rein in this police dept. An open carry walk does not consist of only two people. OLMOS PARK police have a total of 12 officers spread over three shifts, max 4 cops day shift, maybe. I know a couple of people that could organize a walk that would consist of at least 20 to 50 participants. Numbers matter.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
... posting all kinds of rants about how CJ grisham was tazed and abused, and they are stirring up emotion, but don't have a realistic plan of action nor are they rational about anything in all of the threads and comments. i said, "don't tell me that CJ was ignorant to the possible outcomes before he open carried. you need to relax and be calm because government officials aren't going to listen to you otherwise. the same thing gun rights people are making fun of the 'march for our lives' people for doing, YOU are doing in this current situation." and then BOOM ban hammer. way to be open minded and have civil discussion! now i know why they aren't getting things accomplished in that state!

and thank you solus.
I do agree that it's possible to engage in activism without some of what I consider to be the over-the-top ranting depicted in the video, and that doing so is unnecessary.

When you have a police chief, as there is on Olmos, who has stated his position regarding OCers to be essentially one of *MY* law, I believe you can accomplish what Grisham et al are seeking to achieve without such theatrics and risk of injury.

HOWEVER, I'll say that in watching various things related to TX law enforcement, as a group they seem to be big on heavy-handed tactics.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
This is a good example of how NOT to rein in this police dept. An open carry walk does not consist of only two people. OLMOS PARK police have a total of 12 officers spread over three shifts, max 4 cops day shift, maybe. I know a couple of people that could organize a walk that would consist of at least 20 to 50 participants. Numbers matter.
OCT is planning something there on April 7th: https://www.facebook.com/events/1701444096542864/

Road trip? :eek:

Last edited:

solus

Snippp...

IMO, the wrong people have found themselves in leadership positions within the organization. It is unfortunate. Sorry about your ban.

Welcome back to my second favorite individual!

Good to see your smile, still OC’g with your privilege card? (Pretend i am a LE asking for your papers)

Few minutes, let’s see the national ramifications of TX’s skewed campaign affected numerous national businesses by their publicly stating new ‘no firearm’ policy or publicly reiterated their existing ones!

ya, positives, ya, btw you haven’t produced your privilege papers, yet!

oh, some say the same thing about the 70’s NRA bloodless coup!

Last edited:

solus

And i bet a dollar to a donut (wait any donuts Left?) the nice LEs love their testosterone flowing with their guns drawns as it breaks up the boring day!

If one organizing bloke is a giant of a man, both in stature and capabilities, might join that walk!

solus

I hardly think that Wikipedia is an authoritative source on whether a non-celebrity someone is "someone" enough so that one has an entry there, BUT...

Grisham recently addressed the lack of Wikipedia entry by stating on Facebook something like because of malicious/inaccurate entries by an individual he named, Wikipedia had removed his "article" or whatever they call a profile of an individual.

While the illustrious nightmare apparent abandoned this august site, his ghost of the unwavering viability of wiki, which according to him he authored all by himself, lives on in this member’s memory!

Sorry have to rinse my mouth out as a bit of stomach juices came up while typing that last sentence!