• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympic Arms folds.

pkbites

Been meaning to post this for a bit. I'm an FFL dealer and a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Olympic:

After more than 40 years of business, it is with great sorrow that we announce that February 28th, 2017 will be the last day of operation for Olympic Arms, Inc.

Absolutely no explanation whatsoever and I cannot find anything online as to what's going on, only speculation.

I've sold several of their AR models to very satisfied customers, and I own a carbine myself. Takes Glock mags. I love it.

Anyone hears of anything please post it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Been meaning to post this for a bit. I'm an FFL dealer and a couple of weeks ago I received a letter from Olympic:

After more than 40 years of business, it is with great sorrow that we announce that February 28th, 2017 will be the last day of operation for Olympic Arms, Inc.

Absolutely no explanation whatsoever and I cannot find anything online as to what's going on, only speculation.

I've sold several of their AR models to very satisfied customers, and I own a carbine myself. Takes Glock mags. I love it.

Anyone hears of anything please post it.

Could these two quotes on Wikipedia be related?

"In February 2013, Olympic Arms announced that the company would no longer sell its products to New York law enforcement officers or agencies, following the state's passage of an assault weapons ban."

"On January 25, 2017, Olympic Arms announced via email and Facebook that it would close permanently on February 28, 2017."

Government contracts are often a huge portion of a manufacturer's gross sales.

solus

could it be, they're just flat out tired of waking up every day and want to retire and their children do not want to carry on the family business?

just saying w/o any type of conspiracy theory or nothing!

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

The competition in the MSR market is huge there are dozens of manufactures out there prices are coming down.

I fore see many more of them folding as demand drops.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I believe that the last 8 years have been abnormal allowing many to make money.

When the market slows those working on small margins well go out of business.

pkbites

Could these two quotes on Wikipedia be related?

"In February 2013, Olympic Arms announced that the company would no longer sell its products to New York law enforcement officers or agencies, following the state's passage of an assault weapons ban."

"On January 25, 2017, Olympic Arms announced via email and Facebook that it would close permanently on February 28, 2017."

Government contracts are often a huge portion of a manufacturer's gross sales.

The thought crossed my mind. But would their entire business hinge on sales in just one state?

The competition in the MSR market is huge there are dozens of manufactures out there prices are coming down.

I fore see many more of them folding as demand drops.

But if that's what was happening why would Olympic put all their eggs in 1 basket? If sales of the AR started going down why wouldn't they also manufacture other types of firearms? They did, but not as heavily as they did the AR models.

Firearms Iinstuctor

The thought crossed my mind. But would their entire business hinge on sales in just one state?

But if that's what was happening why would Olympic put all their eggs in 1 basket? If sales of the AR started going down why wouldn't they also manufacture other types of firearms? They did, but not as heavily as they did the AR models.

Because some times in it is hard to see the bigger picture

since9

Campaign Veteran
So y'all believe that the market is saturated, guns evenly distributed through a majority of the population, rather than heavily skewed to gun enthusiasts, 80% of legal guns in the hands of a small fraction of the population - 1/4 or 1/3?

Guns are a commodity, Nightmare. Supply exceeds demand. Suppliers have had an excess of inventory of firearms (though not ammunition) throughout the Obama years. Manufacturers are at the mercy of demand, and demand has...

Well, I haven't followed the demand curve for guns, lately. Have you?

Regardless, manufacturers as an aggregate whole have had an excess in production capacity, so increased demand has always been met with increased production. Specific models may have been unavailable for a while, but as a whole, there's never been a shortage of overall supply in the last several decades.

As for demand, it's all about Guns and Butter! That and the fear factor. I've seen more than one case where fear was to the point of being irrational, making a gent I know, and his wife, sell their home in the city in 2009 and move to the hills because they were just dad-gum-certain the apocalypse was upon us all. They also bought many guns (just how many can you carry, anyway???) and many tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition.

To be fair, I upped my own stockpile of guns from one to two, and ammunition from about 100 rounds to around a thousand. I don't think, however, that I'm anywhere near their class... :)

Last edited: