• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One-gun-a-month almost dead

TFred

Senate passes bill 21-19. Looks like one of the D's flipped.

Saslaw, ever the statesman: "if a person bought one gun a month, every month, for the past 20 years, they would have amassed a cache of 240 handguns." "If you need more than 240 handguns, I submit something’s wrong with you," he said.

TFred

wylde007

I Submit

That if you believe it is your place to tell someone what possessions he can or cannot have and how many of them, then there is something wrong with you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I for one will be relieved to be free of the onerous burden of having to buy one handgun each and every month. :p

67GT390FB

Speculation on why these particular folks crossed over? I have to say I'm fairly disappointed that Norment went the other way.

TFred

Virginia Senate votes to repeal one-gun-a-month

"Two Democrats, Sen. John S. Edwards of Roanoke and R. Creigh Deeds of Bath, sided with Republicans. Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the GOP Senate leader, voted with Democrats."

Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.

Last edited:

VApatriot

Norment is a definte moderate, almost a RINO on firearms, other issues he's conservative. Deeds is actually pretty consistently progun for a VA sen DEM. His vote w Repubs killed the loophole bill the year after the Vtech massacre. Edwards i know nothing about.

Edwards represents a SW Virginia district with lots of rural constituents that are generally pro-gun. As I recall, during the November elections he and his opponent ran competing ads, each declaring that they were the most pro-gun candidate.

TFred

Edwards represents a SW Virginia district with lots of rural constituents that are generally pro-gun. As I recall, during the November elections he and his opponent ran competing ads, each declaring that they were the most pro-gun candidate.
Good to know they will stand up and vote where their mouths have run... Apparently EXCEPT for when it came to leadership of the Senate during the past two years... Of course, those votes are closed, so we never really know what happens there.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Geese.....I've been out of my mind or asleep for the last few days.
All this is news to me. The last I heard, Obenshain was in favor of the bill.

That does not make me happy!

VApatriot

The measure now heads to the House of Delegates, where it is expected to be swfitly approved.

Is there a difference between the Senate bill and the one that already passed in the House that will require the House to vote again, or is this just bad reporting? Base on the quality of the editing (can you spot the error in this one sentence?), a bad reporting job really wouldn't surprise me much.

TFred

Is there a difference between the Senate bill and the one that already passed in the House that will require the House to vote again, or is this just bad reporting? Base on the quality of the editing (can you spot the error in this one sentence?), a bad reporting job really wouldn't surprise me much.
The appear to be identical, so I'm not sure why they need to be voted on again. What happens if the vote is different?

I guess the way the rules read, at least one of the bills must be passed out of both houses, if they were to both get voted down now, then they would both fail, even though they had passed in their respective houses of origin.

Is that correct? I'm just guessing.

TFred

Steeler-gal

Saslaw, ever the statesman: "if a person bought one gun a month, every month, for the past 20 years, they would have amassed a cache of 240 handguns." "If you need more than 240 handguns, I submit something’s wrong with you," he said.

TFred

How come they don't care that I own 140 different types of tech gadgets because I buy one or more of them a month? Do I NEED 2 Nanos and every iPhone I've ever bought? No but isn't it my prerogative to spend my $$ anyway I see fit?

Sent using Tapatalk

2a4all

TFred
Only if they kept them all.

He certainly wouldn't consider selling any of them, like at a gun show, would he?

ETA: Not to mention the worth of such a collection!

Last edited:

67GT390FB

Geese.....I've been out of my mind or asleep for the last few days.
All this is news to me. The last I heard, Obenshain was in favor of the bill.

That does not make me happy!

YEAS--Black, Blevins, Carrico, Deeds, Edwards, Garrett, Hanger, Martin, McDougle, McWaters, Newman, Obenshain, Reeves, Ruff, Smith, Stanley, Stosch, Stuart, Vogel, Wagner, Watkins--21.

NAYS--Barker, Colgan, Ebbin, Favola, Herring, Howell, Locke, Lucas, Marsden, Marsh, McEachin, Miller, J.C., Miller, Y.B., Norment, Northam, Petersen, Puckett, Puller, Saslaw--19.

peter, obenshain voted for the bill it was norment that went to the darkside just like in committee.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Norment has always been a bit quirky, even to the point of unpredictability with regard to gun issues. When campaigning, he will typically point out that he is a staunch NRA member and a lover of hunting, but we know what the latter statement can often mean. Most of us know better than to pay any attention to the "I am a hunter too" nonsense, as if that had a damn thing to do with Art. 1 Sec. 13 of our Constitution. We should see big red flags any time a polititian uses that term. Tommy can always be seen working the crownd at LGC any time an election draws nigh. I'll have to say something to him the next time I run into him there, as well as send a note to his office now.

2a4all

Norment has always been a bit quirky, even to the point of unpredictability with regard to gun issues. When campaigning, he will typically point out that he is a staunch NRA member and a lover of hunting, but we know what the latter statement can often mean. Most of us know better than to pay any attention to the "I am a hunter too" nonsense, as if that had a damn thing to do with Art. 1 Sec. 13 of our Constitution. We should see big red flags any time a polititian uses that term. Tommy can always be seen working the crownd at LGC any time an election draws nigh. I'll have to say something to him the next time I run into him there, as well as send a note to his office now.
He was certainly out there at those Tuscany Forum sessions, even going so far as to say he would "back bench" Sen Marsh. I guess when you don't get the "true majority" you expect, you have to make some compromises.

Last edited:

ChinChin

I predict

It shall take less than 48 hours from today for the anti's to use stock catch phrase #4 "They'll be blood in the streets." and whats more. . .less than 72 hours for stock phrase #2 "wild west" to be thrown about.

Bonus: If they also use #7 "Endanger the lives of our children" along with #'s 4 & 2. . .I shall proclaim myself the Nostradamus of Anti-freedom tactics.

(note: I wanted to also prognosticate on the use of #1: "Racist", but that would be a no-brainer.

Haz.

Does that mean if that I own three cars I would drive three times further each day? and if I have two showers in my home I will shower twice as many times per day?

I have 14 clubs in each of my golf bags which means I play golf at least 28 times per week.

Cheers, Haz.

sidestreet

Concerning Sen. Edwards...,

JMHO, but I believe he HAS been fairly good on many pro gun bills and he makes very good argument. I wish he were not a Democrat.

Concerning Saslaw..., here we go with the "need" thing again. Reduncency, that's right redundancy, it's my snigglett, combining redundant and dunce, to use when something stupid is done over and over and over again..., REDUNCENCY!!!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

TFred

Why do we not hear more publicity about the fact that only California, Maryland, and New Jersey remain as states that ration handgun purchases?

Notice NEW YORK is NOT on that list!

TFred

altajava

Why do we not hear more publicity about the fact that only California, Maryland, and New Jersey remain as states that ration handgun purchases?

Notice NEW YORK is NOT on that list!

TFred

I heard that on the radio during the drive home. Wasn't sure I heard it right. I would have bet money on the fact that Bloomey had New York state doining what he wants ever one else to do.