• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One of DPD's dumbest moves ever!!!

FreeInAZ

FUQ -

LeDuff: Detroit police's simulated purse snatching goes awry

Posted: Jun 06, 2013 7:37 PM Updated: Jun 06, 2013 8:39 PM
By Charlie LeDuff, Fox 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) -

An FBI agent almost shot a Detroit cop on Wednesday at a gas station while filling up. It wasn't the agent or the cop's fault. It was the cop's bosses, who came up with the lame brain idea to simulate a purse snatching and then invite a TV crew to film your reaction Detroit. The immediate supervisor of these cops had no idea this was happening until they called him.

"The event takes place. The officer takes the purse, runs around the gas station. As he's running, an off-duty FBI agent is pumping gas. He witnesses the whole thing. He gives chase. He pulls his weapon, and as he turns the corner around the gas station, he's stopped by another officer, who identifies herself as a police officer and don't shoot, don't shoot, this is a scenario," said Inspector Shawn Gargalino with the Detroit Police Department.

That is the same description of events we got from four other ranking law enforcement officials, including Lieutenant Chuck Flannagan, a 28-year veteran of DPD.

"It's a tragedy waiting to happen. In fact, I understand an FBI agent did pull a weapon because he didn't believe it was a staged, and some officers had to run forward to prevent him from possibly shooting an officer. We have enough robberies at gas stations that most people aren't going to assume it's a mock robbery," he said.

"You had citizens who could've been hurt. A lot of people out here have CPLs now and carry weapons. They're tired of the crime that's going on in Detroit, and they might want to stand up and help somebody that's in this type of situation. It just so happened it's a gas station where the FBI fills up all their vehicles," Gargalino said.

This is the part of the story where we go to find the principals who put this bone-headed idea together. First, Sergeant Eren Stephens, the head of Public Information for DPD, wouldn't come outside to speak with us on camera.

Inspector Dwayne Blackmon from Homicide was there, but he wouldn't come outside either. He did say by phone that it all went down just like that except for the fact there was no gun. That simply the agent made a move.

Snipped to meet FUQ .- oversight on my part. †**************************************************************-**;*;****************************************************************************************************************

James Craig, the incoming chief of police, said he was outraged. This could've cost somebody their life, and he promised to get to the bottom of things.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Let's hope new chief Craig does what he says. If past experience tells us anything about DPD, it is this: don't plan on seeing any good changes anytime soon...:rolleyes:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/2...t-polices-simulated-purse-snatching-goes-awry

Added link for newest chief (one of many) who comes to you from Ohio.
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/about-police/meet-the-chief/

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Now to relate this to OC - imagine if a OCer had simply been walking down the sidewalk while this was going on? Would they have been mistaken as a accomplice of the robber? Or if our roving twin FN45 carrying OC advocate commander iceman had rode into the gas station parking lot on his bicycle to get a cool pop or juice....just as this cluster was starting? :eek:

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
I think they should've been more controlled in their selected environment.

Similar studies have been conducted on university campuses and classrooms to demonstrate the same principle but in an environment where there is less risk of armed lawful citizens being inclined to act.

MKEgal

1) We need to respect copyright. Post a FUQ so people can decide if they want to read the whole article, and a link where they can read it.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

2) The FBI agent is a moron for drawing his gun. Purse-snatching, with the perp running away, is not an "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm".

3) Whoever set this up are collectively & individually even worse morons, for reasons already discussed.

autosurgeon

1) We need to respect copyright. Post a FUQ so people can decide if they want to read the whole article, and a link where they can read it.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

2) The FBI agent is a moron for drawing his gun. Purse-snatching, with the perp running away, is not an "imminent danger of death or great bodily harm".

3) Whoever set this up are collectively & individually even worse morons, for reasons already discussed.

It is however a fleeing felon most likely.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Dumbest move ever?

Sounds more to me like the most elaborate cover-up ever. Boy, what some departments won't do to maintain the Blue Wall.

:)

FreeInAZ

It is however a fleeing felon most likely.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Yes! In the case of the FBI agent persuing a felon it is most likely their procedure to have their weapon ready should deadly force be required. Want to see officers draw down on everyone & everything for any reason just watch one of the reality shows like "police women of Maricopa county" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9VB8HRH28&noredirect=1
Thankfully it was cancelled (TV show) before constitutional carry began in summer of 2010.

Last edited: