• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried for the first time today...

glock23_733

imported post

Hello all.

First of all, I would like to say that I am new to the forum and truley wish I would have found it a long time ago. Thank you all for making such a great forum.

With that said, I did open carry for the first time today. This was after learning that I was allowed to in Kentucky. Most of my family lives there. (I live in Tennessee, which, does not allow open carry) but am only 10 minutes from the TN/KY border.

I am 20 years old. I own a Glock 23 (which my screen name would suggest...) that I purchased from my father after he got tired of it and bought a Glock 30.

While OCing, I wore a polo shirt with khaki pants and a fairly nice pair of somewhat "dressy" shoes. I didn't want to make myself stand out any more than I already was going to once I started OCing.

After finishing lunch with my family and saying all of my goodbyes, I decided that the first place I would OC would be the local gun shop. I thought that starting of with a partial crowd might be my best way to get comfortable with the idea because I didn't want to think everyone that was in my sight was staring at me. I walked in and began to browse for ammo because I thought that since i was there, I couldn't pass up a trip to the range. :DNobody in there seemed to even notice I was there.

I then left the range feeling confident that I could easily get used to theidea of OCand decided that the next place I would give OC a shot would be Wal-Mart which happens to be across the street from the gun shop. I then made my way into the store. As I began to walk around, the only odd faces that I was getting was coming from small children. They were the only ones who seemed to notice at all. After picking up a few miscellaneous items, I then checked out and made my way to the door. Once I arrived at the door, I asked the two employees if they needed to see my reciept, to which one of the younger gentlemen replied, "No, your good! Go ahead! As long as you got that gun on you, were straight!" I didn't find this comment to be particularly funny because i didn't want someone to just to happen to overhear his comment and think I was robbing the place or anything like that. I just shrugged it off and made my way outside. After walking 25 feet to the sidewalk outside, I overheard the lady (who was asking for donations for a charity. I don't remember which one...) say, "I didn't do it! I don't know who done it! I didn't even see which way they went!" Again, I didn't find this comment comical at all because of the reason I listed above. I just ignored her and walked to my car where I returned to my home in TN.

All in all, I think next time I will have no problems OCing. The first time was definately different to say the least. Again, thank you to everyone who contributes time and effort into making this site a wealth ofvaluable information.

Thanks!

unrequited

imported post

Good job! You did well, and don't get nervous, you have nothing to be nervous about!

Only critique is the stopping for the receipt. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I know it's usually some 70-year-old nice old guy, but I refuse to show receipts when I leave a store unless it's a store I have signed a customer agreement with (like BJs, etc.). It reenforces the notion that it's okay to treat me like I've stolen something until I prove that I haven't. I check my receipt before I sign it at the register so I know I wasn't overcharged. On top of that, I'm under no obligation to sacrifice my convenience or dignity to help their loss prevention teams do their job.

Well that's my rant, but don't let that scare you from this board, it's my own personal opinion and you did great!

JohnKelly

imported post

Yeah, I'm sure the comments were annoying, but at least it shows that they were somewhat comfortable with you carrying open.

Plus, it beats them dialing 911 and reporting "man with gun".

Hope you enjoyed your stay in KY!

zoom6zoom

imported post

Welcome aboard!
Yes, kids will notice more. Probably because it's closer to eye level for them. Plus, I think kids just tend to be more observant than adults.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

unrequited wrote:
Only critique is the stopping for the receipt. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I know it's usually some 70-year-old nice old guy, but I refuse to show receipts when I leave a store unless it's a store I have signed a customer agreement with (like BJs, etc.). It reenforces the notion that it's okay to treat me like I've stolen something until I prove that I haven't. I check my receipt before I sign it at the register so I know I wasn't overcharged. On top of that, I'm under no obligation to sacrifice my convenience or dignity to help their loss prevention teams do their job.
Maybe I am getting mellower as I age, but i no longer throw a fit at this protocol although I usually try to evade it by walking past these checkpoints quickly. if you have been to the store before and they had this protocol, you have "actual notice" of the policy and can't really claim breach of implied contract; futrther, at common law there is the "shopkeeper's privilege" to detain customers suspected of stealing, and this has been codified in Virginia.

But at Best Buy one time they wanted me to provide my name and address and SN of a computer I was buying, AFTER I showed the receipt - I threw a minor fit and walked out of the store after verbally daring the "guard" to take my computer from my cold dead hands. He just sat there looking incredulous.

Actually, I did not say "cold dead hands" but I will in the future:cool:

TrueBrit

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Sounds like a good experience. Oh...and just to clarify, you can OC in TN, but you have to be 21 and have a permit. :)

Sure, how strange it is that TN should be rather less easy going than KY over the lawful carriage of defensive weaponry!Similar in many other respects!

No matter, just keep on coming back to KY! The Southern and Eastern parts of the State are probably the most gun-friendly areas anyway !

Good job! You obviously conducted yourself as a good ambassador for all who post here!

TrueBrit.

glock23_733

imported post

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

TrueBrit wrote:

Sure, how strange it is that TN should be rather less easy going than KY over the lawful carriage of defensive weaponry!Similar in many other respects!

I found this to be pretty ironic as well.

As far as the reciept thing goes, I was trying not to attract too much attention to myself which in turn, resulted in drawing more attention to myself. lol Still, not bad for being a noob to the whole thing.

Again, thanks to everyone for your input. Happy OCing!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
SNIP"No, your good! Go ahead! As long as you got that gun on you, were straight!"
SNIP "I didn't do it! I don't know who done it! I didn't even see which way they went!"
Again, I didn't find this comment comical at all because of the reason I listed above.
Well done, and welcome to the club!

It speaks well of you that people are comfortable enough with you carrying that they are playful and humorous with you.

I seem to draw playful or humorous comments frequently. Irecognize it as humor and laugh along. Even if I myself wouldn't find it all that funny, Itry to give them credit for trying.Iusually also tryto come up with something playful to say back. For example, regarding checking the receipt, "Well, I wanted toask you anyway. I've heard what happens to people whotry to sneak past you guys! You guys have a reputation for being tough." For the charity lady, I might say something like, "(big smile) Well since you'd never make it as a professional witness,I guess I had better help you keep your job with thecharity. (and chip in a dollar or something)" Sometimes all I can think up is smiling,pretended, protest, "Me? Why I'm as gentle as a lamb."

Maybe next I'll try, "Who me? I'm scared to death of guns. It isn't even loaded."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
SNIP 1. Maybe I am getting mellower as I age, but i no longer throw a fit at this protocol although I usually try to evade it by walking past these checkpoints quickly. if you have been to the store before and they had this protocol, you have "actual notice" of the policy and can't really claim breach of implied contract; futrther, at common law there is the "shopkeeper's privilege" to detain customers suspected of stealing, and 2. this has been codified in Virginia.

But at Best Buy one time they wanted me to provide my name and address and SN of a computer I was buying, AFTER I showed the receipt - I threw a minor fit and walked out of the store after verbally daring the "guard" to take my computer from my cold dead hands. He just sat there looking incredulous.

3. Actually, I did not say "cold dead hands" but I will in the future:cool:

1. (cough, cough) :)

2. Can you steer me to it, the case or staturory law. Does this have a bearing on the issue of being asked for a receipt at the door, without other, let us call it reasonable suspicion? I'm rarely stopped, but when it happens, I'm annoyed.

3. Inspiring. Lets see who gets a chance to say it first.

KBCraig

imported post

glock23_733 wrote:
... Wal-Mart ... I asked the two employees if they needed to see my reciept, to which one of the younger gentlemen replied, "No, your good! Go ahead! As long as you got that gun on you, were straight!" ... I overheard the lady (who was asking for donations for a charity. I don't remember which one...) say, "I didn't do it! I don't know who done it! I didn't even see which way they went!"
I think it's safe to say they both assumed you were a cop.