• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Creates Anti-gunners?

jrd929

Apparently it depends who you ask. I was way up in Northern NH last weekend, and did some target shooting. I brought up the topic of Open Carry with a local and he said that open carry creates more anti gunners than supporters of the right to carry both concealed or openly. He also stated that he was a retired NH state police officer. (Apparently I have a problem with running into retired cops, Seebrook Sam's Club?) He wasn't up for a debate, but I didn't agree with his statement. He basically said it just creates more trouble, but I told him that's the problem. People have become so accustomed to not seeing people carrying guns, and being spoon fed the lies the media spits out, that when they see someone like me carrying a gun, they freak out :eek: and make a B-line for the nearest cop, manager, etc. I pointed to the southern part of the country where guns are more common and accepted than here in the north, and where people don't get as scared of guns because they are more of a part of southern life in America. Not long after that we wrapped things up and went our separate ways, and yes I left with my gun still being displayed openly in it's holster.

Opinions?

Jon

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I think open carry garners more support generally speaking. In all the time I have OC'ed I have had one negative encounter. On the other hand I have had probably ten positive encounters and numerous chances to tell people about why I OC.

Lthrnck

OC Worries...

I have to agree with BigSd...

I have to say my good interactions are 20 or 25 to 1 for bad interactions and most of the "Bad" interactions are usually nothing more then a dirty look.

OC is becoming "More Normal" then it used to be. Just like you said, the more people who see it, the more they will become used to it.

Carry On...!!!

Rattrapper

Yesterday I was at the Town Dump (Transfer Station) in Swanzey, NH, I unloaded what I had and this guy comes over to me and tells me, "The next time you come in here leave the weapon in the truck". I just looked at him and said, "Yeah Right", and went on my way.

Curmudgeon

Yes sir... here of late we've all been getting hammered by the anti-gun folks. Why, just look at this here chart...

rtc.gif

:rollseyes:

M-Taliesin

Howdy!
Maybe I'm a late bloomer, but I have not yet had a negative encounter with anybody. I've been asked why I am carrying a gun, but when I answer, the topic appears settled in the mind of the observer.

I think guns are more accepted here in the west than back east, in northern states. I could be wrong, espeically considering California!

Meanwhile, I OC everywhere I go, and the usual encounter tends to be curiosity about the particular handgun I might be carrying that day and usually leads to me hearing about their own firearms that they own.

When asked why I carry, my response is: Because I've been confronted by criminals before and didn't enjoy being victimized.

So long as there are criminals walking around among us who feel no compunction about threatening my life, their odds of survival diminish considerably when I am able to respond with a positive defense.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yes sir... here of late we've all been getting hammered by the anti-gun folks. Why, just look at this here chart...

rtc.gif

:rollseyes:

Wow, things have changed a lot since I was born. I'm happy that that map looks a whole lot different today.

hermannr

The unfortunate part is that, prior to 1961, WA would have been green like VT, rather than blue. While WA was one of the first to pass a "shall issue" CC law, prior to that law, there were no restrictions on carry or ownership. Shall issue ended up being a step in the wrong direction for us.

Last edited:

doobie

Not to mention WI is now (or soon will be) a may(shall?) issue...and IL will likely also become a may issue..

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems

Not to mention WI is now (or soon will be) a may(shall?) issue...and IL will likely also become a may issue..

Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems, and came close to Constitutional Carry. They have a good chance of getting Constitutional Carry next year.

jrd929

Howdy!
Maybe I'm a late bloomer, but I have not yet had a negative encounter with anybody. I've been asked why I am carrying a gun, but when I answer, the topic appears settled in the mind of the observer.

I think guns are more accepted here in the west than back east, in northern states. I could be wrong, espeically considering California!

Meanwhile, I OC everywhere I go, and the usual encounter tends to be curiosity about the particular handgun I might be carrying that day and usually leads to me hearing about their own firearms that they own.

When asked why I carry, my response is: Because I've been confronted by criminals before and didn't enjoy being victimized.

So long as there are criminals walking around among us who feel no compunction about threatening my life, their odds of survival diminish considerably when I am able to respond with a positive defense.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I think the reason you have never had a bad encounter about OCing has to do with being in the west. In NH we always have to deal with the spill over from the Peoples Republic of Mass, where OCing isn't as accepted.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think open carry garners more support generally speaking. In all the time I have OC'ed I have had one negative encounter. On the other hand I have had probably ten positive encounters and numerous chances to tell people about why I OC.

I agree.

My experience is like yours. I can still count the negative encounters on one hand. Dozens of positive encounters with citizens.

nhsig220

I think the reason you have never had a bad encounter about OCing has to do with being in the west. In NH we always have to deal with the spill over from the Peoples Republic of Mass, where OCing isn't as accepted.

Isn't as accepted? That sure is the under statement of the year. :)

mrjam2jab

Apparently it depends who you ask. I was way up in Northern NH last weekend, and did some target shooting. I brought up the topic of Open Carry with a local and he said that open carry creates more anti gunners than supporters of the right to carry both concealed or openly.

Jon

I wouldn't say it "creates" antis. they are already anti before they see the gun, they just don't say anything about it until they see it.

Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems, and came close to Constitutional Carry. They have a good chance of getting Constitutional Carry next year.

curious, why is it "one of the best"? I don't see them going Con-Carry as early as next year, since the Gov insisted the new law had to include a permit system w/training.

Last edited:

nhsig220

Well I said that because I know the Mass law allows it BUT the law a much more shakier when compared to the law in NH which is quite solid.

Most of the people in Ma are simply too scared to OC. Their keepers like to keep it that way. Why anyone even lives there is beyond me.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Cheap, easy, least restrictive, private, immunity

I wouldn't say it "creates" antis. they are already anti before they see the gun, they just don't say anything about it until they see it.

curious, why is it "one of the best"? I don't see them going Con-Carry as early as next year, since the Gov insisted the new law had to include a permit system w/training.

Wisconsin CCW is cheap at $50 for five years and $25 for five years renewal. No picture, no fingerprints, excellent reciprocity, immunity for private property owners that allow carry for the public or employees, good start on campus carry, and the training requirements are easily met by all, and already met by most of the interested groups. Permit informaiton protected from abuse. Fines for law enforcement that abuse carriers. Carry specifically disallowed as disorderly conduct. You will not find this combination in other states. Arizona has another very good one, but requires fingerprints, is more expensive, has no campus carry, and no immunity, doesn't have the privacy protections, no fine for law enforcement, no disorderly conduct protection.

Arizona has constitutional carry.

In a great many states experience, the permit system is continually improved. Wisconsin can still be improved, but with a years experience with the law, the pro-constitutional forces will grow and the anti-freedom forces will fall off.

You almost passed constitutional carry this year! You passed one of, if not the, most liberal shall issue law in the nation. Pam Galloway is a rising star in the state senate, and got this passed as a freshman senator.

She is committed to constitutional carry and wants to improve the bill next year.

jrd929

Wisconsin CCW is cheap at $50 for five years and $25 for five years renewal. No picture, no fingerprints, excellent reciprocity, immunity for private property owners that allow carry for the public or employees, good start on campus carry, and the training requirements are easily met by all, and already met by most of the interested groups. Permit informaiton protected from abuse. Fines for law enforcement that abuse carriers. Carry specifically disallowed as disorderly conduct. You will not find this combination in other states. Arizona has another very good one, but requires fingerprints, is more expensive, has no campus carry, and no immunity, doesn't have the privacy protections, no fine for law enforcement, no disorderly conduct protection.

Arizona has constitutional carry.

In a great many states experience, the permit system is continually improved. Wisconsin can still be improved, but with a years experience with the law, the pro-constitutional forces will grow and the anti-freedom forces will fall off.

You almost passed constitutional carry this year! You passed one of, if not the, most liberal shall issue law in the nation. Pam Galloway is a rising star in the state senate, and got this passed as a freshman senator.

She is committed to constitutional carry and wants to improve the bill next year.

NH only charges $10 and doesn't ask for finger prints or picture, but Wisconsin's law is still much better. Something close or better than that would be the icing on the cake here in NH.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
When you first looked, did you think New Hampshires law would be better?

NH only charges $10 and doesn't ask for finger prints or picture, but Wisconsin's law is still much better. Something close or better than that would be the icing on the cake here in NH.

I had a New Hampshire license for several years. It was pretty good, but Wisconsin's new law is better, as you say. New Hampshire looks to get constitutional carry next year. They came close to getting it this year, twice, but the effort was apparently stymied by NRA rep in New Hampshire and the NRA affliate putting out conflicting information.

jrd929

In WI we have a law forbidding the carrying of fake/toy firearms that could reasonably be mistaken for real firearms.
So in addition to being silly to carry a toy or nonfunctioning pistol, it's a crime.

I wonder if the new law fixes that stupid law.