• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk - Ohio State University

Werz

Wish I could see it as a step forward. But turning the final say-so over to these colleges won't get carry approved at any of them.
Remember that the college/university provision applies to all of them, both public and private. No, the state universities won't change anything. But the private colleges, particularly some of the evangelical schools*, may enact rules which allow concealed carry. When there is no "Wild West atmosphere" or "blood in the streets," it will serve as an example, and students (but more importantly, their parents) will start to exert pressure on the governing authorities of other colleges and universities.

* Can you say "Liberty University"?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Looks like the walk accomplished its aim...
I wish I could claim credit, but it's a much more involved (and disheartening) story than that.

The basic story is this: the bill that passed is a consolidation of TWO bills (HB48 & HB199) on different gun subjects - at least one of which passed more than a year and a half ago in the Ohio House. Each session lasts two years.

So, our esteemed elected officials in the Senate (not that the Reps are any less esteemed, you understand), SAT ON both bills until just before holding rushed, last minute hearings.

There's even more to this sad and sordid tale, but I have no intention of giving those who have repeatedly demonstrated their untrustworthy and/or self-centered nature even more "print".

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wish I could claim credit, but it's a much more involved (and disheartening) story than that.
--snipped--
There's even more to this sad and sordid tale, but I have no intention of giving those who have repeatedly demonstrated their untrustworthy and/or self-centered nature even more "print".
One is reminded to heed the old saw:

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."
Sun-tzu Chinese general & military strategist (~400 BC)

Brian D.

Remember that the college/university provision applies to all of them, both public and private. No, the state universities won't change anything. But the private colleges, particularly some of the evangelical schools*, may enact rules which allow concealed carry. When there is no "Wild West atmosphere" or "blood in the streets," it will serve as an example, and students (but more importantly, their parents) will start to exert pressure on the governing authorities of other colleges and universities.

* Can you say "Liberty University"?

Yeah I know it there could be some changes at teeny tiny churchy colleges. Big fat hairy deal. I've been all around Ohio and so many of those small universities are in outlying smaller towns that aren't that dangerous to begin with. Also, I'd be surprised to see any of the Catholic universities allow carry; they won't authorize carry at their churches, and even post their cemeteries against it. For about three(?) years down here, Xavier University's Jesuit administration made their (sworn OPOTA certified) police officers work day shifts while disarmed. Yep, empty holsters, saw it with my own eyes. I brought this to the attention of the a high ranking Cincinnati Police official and asked how the XU cops could be part of the mutual aid agreements. That got something started, but those Jesuits held fast until 9/11/2001 happened. After that day's events the other police departments were riding the college hard, and they relented.

That's all ancient history--except that just a couple years ago, the XU (Jesuit) honchos were making noise about disarming their police again. Others in the college admin shut them down.

Werz

Yeah I know it there could be some changes at teeny tiny churchy colleges. Big fat hairy deal. I've been all around Ohio and so many of those small universities are in outlying smaller towns that aren't that dangerous to begin with. Also, I'd be surprised to see any of the Catholic universities allow carry; they won't authorize carry at their churches, and even post their cemeteries against it. For about three(?) years down here, Xavier University's Jesuit administration made their (sworn OPOTA certified) police officers work day shifts while disarmed. Yep, empty holsters, saw it with my own eyes. I brought this to the attention of the a high ranking Cincinnati Police official and asked how the XU cops could be part of the mutual aid agreements. That got something started, but those Jesuits held fast until 9/11/2001 happened. After that day's events the other police departments were riding the college hard, and they relented.

That's all ancient history--except that just a couple years ago, the XU (Jesuit) honchos were making noise about disarming their police again. Others in the college admin shut them down.

And that is my point. I saw everyone get cranked up about an amendment that everyone was sure would succeed, just like Hillary's voters were sure of a victory. I knew the realities. We didn't get what we wanted. We got an opportunity to prove that we are right. A few small colleges conducting a successful experiment in on-campus concealed carry will carry weight the next time the issue comes around. And if the colleges start to experience further acts of terrorism, there will be a wake-up call.

davidmcbeth

Banned

The basic story is this: the bill that passed is a consolidation of TWO bills (HB48 & HB199) on different gun subjects - at least one of which passed more than a year and a half ago in the Ohio House. Each session lasts two years.

So, our esteemed elected officials in the Senate (not that the Reps are any less esteemed, you understand), SAT ON both bills until just before holding rushed, last minute hearings.

Must not have been a priority for the chairman(s) on the senate committee .... they can only grind through so many bills.

I had a bill that I had created that sailed through my state's house ... with a unanimous (like 100 yea-0 nay) votes and it got bogged down in my state's senate.

I'll try to get the bill re-introduced next session ...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Here's a new opinion piece, signed by a number of outraged clueless and racist faculty members - containing a lot of misstatement of fact and bias too.

Read it carefully to catch it all: http://thelantern.com/2016/12/open-letter-to-president-drake-and-ohio-state-administration/

One example: "It is an affront to the students and staff of color on this campus for the university to so brazenly highlight the racial double standard at play in this state, by not only welcoming a group of white activists with deadly weapons to our campus..." (my bold and color)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here's a new opinion piece, signed by a number of outraged clueless and racist faculty members - containing a lot of misstatement of fact and bias too.

Read it carefully to catch it all: http://thelantern.com/2016/12/open-letter-to-president-drake-and-ohio-state-administration/

One example: "It is an affront to the students and staff of color on this campus for the university to so brazenly highlight the racial double standard at play in this state, by not only welcoming a group of white activists with deadly weapons to our campus..."

By signing that letter, these faculty members demonstrate their racial bias - as such they should be censored, lose tenure, and perhaps fired. Note that the tail cannot be permitted to wag the dog.