• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry for persons not residents of Montana?

N605TW

Activist Member
Okay. I think I should have been more clear. I meant can you have a loaded firearm in your vehicle that is concealed but not concealed on your person. Example would be glove box or center console or under the seat or something.

Concealed and concealed on your person is the same thing in Montana. If your firearm is covered wholly or partially by your clothing then you have a concealed firearm.

I have yet to figure out how to wear a glove box.

*please read Montana law for your self. People on the internet, even me, can and do give misleading or false information.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Okay. I think I should have been more clear. I meant can you have a loaded firearm in your vehicle that is concealed but not concealed on your person. Example would be glove box or center console or under the seat or something.

Concealed is based on clothing in MT. You can conceal under the seat, glove box, briefcase, etc without needing a permit.

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-315.htm

Last edited:

Emmeric

One person up above even mentioned carrying concealed without a license in a fanny pack or satchel.

Technically, he is right. The law allows that guns are not considered concealed as a means of violation if carried in luggage.

The problem here is that luggage is not defined. Does that mean a purse? You could conceivably carry concealed in a bank, in your purse assuming you are a woman or one of those metrosexual "men", without violating the letter of the law. But to my knowledge, this has yet to be defined by adjudication. So, though the law permits carrying concealed in a bank if you carry your gun in a briefcase, that part of the law could still be challenged and charged in court. Your case might be the one that excludes brief cases or fanny packs as luggage!

Be aware. Be smart.

1911er

Montana winter

For my fellow O Cers in Montana;

A Montana poem
It's winter in Montana,
And the gentle breezes blow.
70 miles an hour,
At 35 below.

Oh how I love Montana,
When the snows up to your butt,
You take a breath of winter air,