• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in bars?

Dimensio

imported post

I'm a Louisville resident, and I've been carrying, typically concealed but occasionally openly, for about a month now. I've made sure that I know what places are legally off-limits for carrying, but the one ambiguity is on establishments that serve alcohol (deriving more than 50% of their income therefrom). The law states rather clearly that carrying a concealed deadly weapon in such places is illegal, but the wording specifically states "concealed". It would seem, at least to me (but I'm no lawyer), that the use of the word "concealed" and the abscence of any provision (that I can find) beyond that specific prohibition suggests that open carry in such establishments is not forbidden by law.

I am wondering if anyone knows the specific legal status on open-carry in such establishments. I would assume that open carrying would likely be discouraged by skiddish patrons and employees, and that there might be issues of being hassled by LEOs, but is it specifically criminal?

I don't normally even ever go to bars, but if I were ever out with some friends and the suggestion was brough up I'd like to know the legal status, just in case.

I am also curious as to what constitutes "open carry" versus "concealed carry". I carry in an IWB clip-on holster, but I can expose the grip of the gun by tucking in my shirt (and I have done this a few times, essentially "open carrying" in a few public places without any incident). Do I need a holster that exposes more of the gun, or is that sufficient to no longer be "concealed" in the eyes of the law?

teknoid

imported post

Dimensio wrote:
I'm a Louisville resident, and I've been carrying, typically concealed but occasionally openly, for about a month now. I've made sure that I know what places are legally off-limits for carrying, but the one ambiguity is on establishments that serve alcohol (deriving more than 50% of their income therefrom). The law states rather clearly that carrying a concealed deadly weapon in such places is illegal, but the wording specifically states "concealed". It would seem, at least to me (but I'm no lawyer), that the use of the word "concealed" and the abscence of any provision (that I can find) beyond that specific prohibition suggests that open carry in such establishments is not forbidden by law.

I am wondering if anyone knows the specific legal status on open-carry in such establishments. I would assume that open carrying would likely be discouraged by skiddish patrons and employees, and that there might be issues of being hassled by LEOs, but is it specifically criminal?

I don't normally even ever go to bars, but if I were ever out with some friends and the suggestion was brough up I'd like to know the legal status, just in case.

I am also curious as to what constitutes "open carry" versus "concealed carry". I carry in an IWB clip-on holster, but I can expose the grip of the gun by tucking in my shirt (and I have done this a few times, essentially "open carrying" in a few public places without any incident). Do I need a holster that exposes more of the gun, or is that sufficient to no longer be "concealed" in the eyes of the law?
From: http://docjt.jus.state.ky.us/forms/CCDW/CCDW/2006/CCDW_01.pdf

F. Carrying a loaded firearm in a bar; restaurant exception
State law (KRS 244.125) prohibits anyone, including a license holder, from
possessing a loaded firearm, whether concealed or in the open, in a room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. This prohibition does not apply to restaurants open to the general public that seat at least 50 people and receive at least half of their gross annual income from the sale of food.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm originally from Louisville, and visit often (not that far). If I'm in the bar, the gun is in the car. It would be even if it was legal though. I tend to have a beer or two (or three) when there, if I have a designated driver.