• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Hanover

LKB3rd

imported post

Hi all. I have been reading these forums for a month or two and registered to get some help on this issue

My sister lives in White River Junction, Vermont, and when i visit her we often go into Hanover to eat, shop and such. I am going to get a New Hampshire non-resident permit- which it is my understanding i need to carry at all as a non-resident.

As you all probably know, it is a pretty liberal ivy league sort of snooty place. I know that it is legal to carry openly in New Hampshire, but i am concerned about doing it in Hanover. I am guessing that they will take any excuse i give them to hassle or arrest me, and i want to be sure to give no such reason.

So, i have a couple of questions. Dartmouth forbids their students from carrying on campus. Does this apply to me if i go into the bookstore, for example? Should i be concerned about accidentally walking onto Dartmouth property while carrying? There are no signs forbidding weapons. Is New hampshire a state where it is only trespassing if they specifically ask me to leave?

Has anyone open carried in Hanover? Any tips or things to be aware of?

Sorry for the list of questions, and thanks in advance for any help.

PavePusher

imported post

I am originaly from Hanover, but have not yet carried there. I don't have a clue as to what the Big D rules are. Sorry. I will be looking into this at some point as I am applying for my non-resident permit in NH so I can carry when visiting family. If I find out before you do (I absolutely intend to open carry in Hanover next time I'm there), I'll let you know.

LKB3rd

imported post

I intend to do it too, but figured it would be wise to gather a little bit of info first on the state and local rules about it, as well as any experiences people may have had there.

Thanks for the response, maybe someone else has some info to help us both.

PavePusher

imported post

Sorry, I have read the state laws, here's the link:

http://www.nh.gov/safety/commissioner/adminrules/lawsandrules.html#laws

Bottom of the page, Title XII.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII.htm

On the next page, you want Chapter 159.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XII-159.htm

As per 159:26 (bottom of page), NH has essentialy complete state pre-emptionof firearm regulations.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-26.htm

Now for the bad news (if you're a Dartmouth student):

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~deancoll/documents/handbook/rules-regs/weapons-proj.html

I think some of their "interpretations" under "State and Local Ordinances" are wrong, but I don't have time to get into it right now.

As I stated above, I have no idea how local law enforcement actually approaches the subject. I will write to my Grandmother (retired from Dart.), step-Grandmother (retiring from Dart. next year), and uncle (retired from Hanover F.D., knows most of the local police) and see what they might know or be able to find out.

LKB3rd

imported post

It looks like except for courthouses, and the post office it is legal according to state laws. I see nothing about schools.

As for Dartmouth, since they don't post "no firearms" signs, it looks like it is legal until they ask me to leave, at which point it becomes trespassing if i refuse (which i wouldn't). Since i am not a student, they can't dictate what i do, they can only ask me to leave, or call the police if i am breaking any laws, which i would not be. Have you had a chance to look through the laws? Does this seem to be correct according to your reading?

I'd really appreciate hearing back after you talk to your family about it. Especially the fireman who knows local leo's.

I also thought that maybe they'd send me some information along with the non-resident permitwhich might be helpful.

PavePusher

imported post

I agree with your read of the situation.

I will get my info request out late this afternoon or sometime this evening, I won't expect any replies for a few days, but I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Off to the gun show, gotta buy some books, ammo and possibly a Noisy Maggie. :celebrate

mvpel

imported post

If defense of self, family, property, and the state is a "lawful purpose," then post offices are not off-limits for carry. Of course, nobody's wanted to run that particular risky legal gauntlet thus far, so most people figure better safe than sorry.

mvpel

imported post

The ban is 18 USC 930:

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

"Except" is a very powerful word in statutory construction. One of the exceptions to the ban of possession of firearms on federal facilities other than courts is:

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

So if you are lawfully carrying a firearm incident to the lawful purpose of armed self-defense, it's arguable that you are not subject to the ban on firearms possession. Of course, the Feds typically construe this to mean "no firearms allowed." Why wouldn't they, after all?

BendOver.jpg

LKB3rd

imported post

mvpel wrote:
So if you are lawfully carrying a firearm incident to the lawful purpose of armed self-defense, it's arguable that you are not subject to the ban on firearms possession. Of course, the Feds typically construe this to mean "no firearms allowed." Why wouldn't they, after all?

They wouldn't if their concern was people being safer from violent crime. :X

Thanks for the info.

Len

PavePusher

imported post

Sorry for the delay, I haven't got a response yet. Whole family (and me) has been pretty tied up with stuff lately. Still working on this, just don't count on a speedy resolution. I will post info as soon as I get it.

LKB3rd

imported post

Well, i had a boringly uneventful experience the other day in Hanover. I open carried my Colt Python in a safariland retention holster. I went to the Dartmouth bookstore, browsed a little bit, found a book i had been looking for at a few other places. I got a cup of coffee and sat and read my book for a little bit. No one even seemed to notice, and if they did, they didn't care. I then walked to the pizza place, where i planned to grab some lunch, but they were closed due to holiday hours.

I decided to do it without a permit, so i carried it in my car unloaded, and just loaded it discretely standing behind my car door as i got out, and unloaded it the same way when i got back in.

I guess my apprehension was all for nothing. I did do one thing that lessened some of the stress i was having when running through possible scenarios. I was sort of stressed about what i would say if a cop asked me for my driver's license as a form of id. I really don't feel comfortable being compelled to "produce my papers" when walking down the street lawfully, so i was preparing myself with how to get this across without seeming to be uncooperative or "suspicious." My solution was to leave my license in the car when i got out. When that idea hit me it was perfectly simple.

I also open carried at various places in Vermont, right across the river from Hanover, and the experience was the same. Most people didn't even seem to notice. One guy asked me what i was carrying, if it was a .45 or a .38. I stopped at McDonalds on the drive into town, and some 10 year old or so girl was staring at me. I am not sure what the explanation for that is lol, but maybe it was just because she had never seen anyone carrying a gun before who wasn't a cop. She wasn't alarmed, and was probably pretty bored watching me eat my french fries hehe.

I like open carrying better than concealed carrying. I wish it was allowed where i live in CT. It feels like a more honest way to do it, and doesn't have the stigma that i have to hide it like it is something bad.

Anyway, that's that :)

Thundar

imported post

LKB3rd wrote:
I was sort of stressed about what i would say if a cop asked me for my driver's license as a form of id. I really don't feel comfortable being compelled to "produce my papers" when walking down the street lawfully, so i was preparing myself with how to get this across without seeming to be uncooperative or "suspicious." My solution was to leave my license in the car when i got out. When that idea hit me it was perfectly simple.

I like open carrying better than concealed carrying. I wish it was allowed where i live in CT. It feels like a more honest way to do it, and doesn't have the stigma that i have to hide it like it is something bad.

Sterile Open Carry. It is a fantastic feeling. Itis the feeling of a free man.