• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Hawaii?

YoungBlackMale

Hey everyone, My wife an I plan on moving to Hawaii sometime next year. But i'm unsure about my rights on being able to open carry leagally.
I'm a LICENSE open carrier in "Tigard, Oregon" an don't wan't to lose my rights just by a change in location.
Is there anyone that could in-lighten me on their facts on hawaii's law's???? :confused: PLEASE.

VW_Factor

There is no licensed open carry in Oregon (let alone a city in Oregon). Do you mean you have an Oregon CHL?

It is not recognized in Hawaii.

mrjam2jab

you're not going to like this...

HRS 134-9

§134-9 Licenses to carry. (a) In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may grant a license to an applicant who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more or to a duly accredited official representative of a foreign nation of the age of twenty-one years or more to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor concealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. Where the urgency or the need has been sufficiently indicated, the respective chief of police may grant to an applicant of good moral character who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more, is engaged in the protection of life and property, and is not prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm, a license to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor unconcealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. The chief of police of the appropriate county, or the chief's designated representative, shall perform an inquiry on an applicant by using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases where the applicant is not a citizen of the United States, before any determination to grant a license is made. Unless renewed, the license shall expire one year from the date of issue.

VW_Factor

A CHL is "notified" as a "LICENSE" to carry.. I am Licensed an choose to open carry.. Same thing, Stated differently.
:rolleyes:

YoungBlackMale said:
I'm a LICENSE open carrier in "Tigard, Oregon"

You don't need a license to OC in Oregon. Some cities regulate loaded OC however and having the CHL preempts the cities rule, otherwise you are carrying unloaded. PDX I believe has overstepped their legal bounds and are "regulating" unloaded OC and even carry of ammunition in magazines.. I am sure it will be tested in court sometime soonish.

Again, this is just clarification as to not confuse others on our forums here. Oregon comparatively to other states has quite a bit of freedom as far as our firearms laws go. I simply don't want people to think otherwise. :)

sudden valley gunner

Hawaii sucks for respecting our natural right to be armed. I am there a few times a year and go shooting with my brother in law at Koko head range, a great range but even their rules are very draconian. Be active and work with others in the state to change it though.

We are having a rather large gathering in SeaTac, in August and you folks from Oregon should come up and visit us. (The other states too!).

YoungBlackMale

Yeah honestly I've been thinking alot about leaving & cant stand the fact of being stripped naked of my rights.
Better off if I stay an continue to remain a part of the open carry movement in my own country..
(Seeing Arizona as a substitute)
:banana:

sudden valley gunner

It's a shame because I really consider Hawaii a home and to see the state deny it's citizens the human right of self defense in what ever manner we choose pains me.

Hey consider Washington, Arizona modeled their constitution over after ours.....:lol: