• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In New Hampshire

john118242

imported post

nh92d wrote:
After a lunch get together with some folks in Concord today.Doobie and i went for a walk up loudon road then back down toMain st.After me and him parted ways i continued on for another 30-40 mins.i walked up several blocks,crossed over and then back down Main st(all the while making sure that my strongside was towards traffic)and didn't have any issues though i did have a member of the Concord Police dept driveby me turn around then drive by again(on the slow side),but he didn't stop.

I continued my walk back to where i was parked almost expecting to see another cruiser(or same one)driveup but that didn't happen.did some shopping at Market Basket without anyissues either..

:monkey
awesome. has there been any issues in concord? i live near there and im gunna start ocing . i asked a cop today (a bunch of us sitting beside a police cruiser in the complex ) what he thought on oc and he said he is welll aware that it is legal but like all cops say they have to investigate and then he went on to say its better to get ur concealment licence because you dont want to scare people and want to deal with the hassle and then he basicaly said it was dumb and i laughed and shut up cause i didint want to offend him and say well then why do u do it lol

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

john118242 wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:

Did you hear that NH just fully legalized all knives, including switchblades?? :celebrate
i just talked to a concord cop and he said butterfly knives are still illegal? what is up with that? do you think he didint understand the new law? is there any RSA on the new knife law in NH? any buddy know anything about this?? i know this should of gone in a new forum but i wanted to quote above

A cop who doesn't know the law. Shocking. :quirky

Cops are not the people to ask about the law. They don't know it well. They know their procedures and can stumble around a statute book, but they're not attorneys or anything close to it.

No, there are no illegal knives in New Hampshire. None. I challenge you to find an RSA that makes any knife illegal.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

john118242 wrote:
nh92d wrote:
After a lunch get together with some folks in Concord today.Doobie and i went for a  walk up loudon road then back down to Main st.After me and him parted ways i continued on for another 30-40 mins.i walked up several blocks,crossed over and then back down Main st(all the while making sure that my strongside was towards traffic) and didn't have any issues though i did have a member of the Concord Police dept drive by me turn around then drive by again(on the slow side),but he didn't stop.

I continued my walk back to where i was parked almost expecting to see another cruiser(or same one) drive up but that didn't happen.did some shopping at Market Basket without any issues either..

awesome. has there been any issues in concord? i live  near there and im gunna start ocing . i asked a cop today (a bunch of us sitting beside a police cruiser in the complex ) what he thought on oc and he said he is welll aware that it is legal but like all cops say they have to investigate and then he went on to say its better to get ur concealment licence because you dont want to scare people and want to deal with  the hassle and then he basicaly said it was dumb and i laughed and shut up cause i didint want to offend him and say well then why do u do it lol

I haven't had any trouble at all. Sure cops can "investigate" anything but they are not allowed to detain or arrest a person for merely carrying a gun. Carrying a gun is a lawful normal activity and it does not give rise to any suspicion of a crime. They also can't force you to show your driver's license or carry license since you are not concealing or driving a car. They can stop and talk to you, but - just like anyone else who stops to talk to you on the sidewalk - you are free to leave whenever you want.

A good question to ask is "Am I free to go?" He probably won't answer directly and will instead say something like " I need to investigate/ask a few questions..." Keep asking "Am I free to go" until he gives you a straight answer. If he says yes, bid him a nice day. If he says no, don't make a fuss, but now you have it on record that you were illegally detained and can get in contact with an Attorney. I've heard that this firm does a lot of gun law and civil rights type stuff when rights are violated --> http://www.nhlegalservices.com/

doobie

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
john118242 wrote:
nh92d wrote:
After a lunch get together with some folks in Concord today.Doobie and i went for a walk up loudon road then back down toMain st.After me and him parted ways i continued on for another 30-40 mins.i walked up several blocks,crossed over and then back down Main st(all the while making sure that my strongside was towards traffic)and didn't have any issues though i did have a member of the Concord Police dept driveby me turn around then drive by again(on the slow side),but he didn't stop.

I continued my walk back to where i was parked almost expecting to see another cruiser(or same one)driveup but that didn't happen.did some shopping at Market Basket without anyissues either..

awesome. has there been any issues in concord? i live near there and im gunna start ocing . i asked a cop today (a bunch of us sitting beside a police cruiser in the complex ) what he thought on oc and he said he is welll aware that it is legal but like all cops say they have to investigate and then he went on to say its better to get ur concealment licence because you dont want to scare people and want to deal with the hassle and then he basicaly said it was dumb and i laughed and shut up cause i didint want to offend him and say well then why do u do it lol

I haven't had any trouble at all. Sure cops can "investigate" anything but they are not allowed to detain or arrest a person for merely carrying a gun. Carrying a gun is a lawful normal activity and it does not give rise to any suspicion of a crime. They also can't force you to show your driver's license or carry license since you are not concealing or driving a car. They can stop and talk to you, but - just like anyone else who stops to talk to you on the sidewalk - you are free to leave whenever you want.

A good question to ask is "Am I free to go?" He probably won't answer directly and will instead say something like " I need to investigate/ask a few questions..." Keep asking "Am I free to go" until he gives you a straight answer. If he says yes, bid him a nice day. If he says no, don't make a fuss, but now you have it on record that you were illegally detained and can get in contact with an Attorney. I've heard that this firm does a lot of gun law and civil rights type stuff when rights are violated --> http://www.nhlegalservices.com/
I'd suggestion, "Am I being detained?" over asking "Am I free to go?" They won't answer "Am I free to go?" but they I believe have to answer "Am I being detained?" it's also the language they are more familiar with. I'm yet to try it. But hope to in a few days. Though I imagine if you use it and they say no, and you walk away, they will likely waste a number of resources watching you.

EDITED:

When I've used "Am I free to go?" they usually ignore it and ask another question or repeat a question they've asked.... once they are "Satisfied" and you ask "Am I free to go?" they're response has almost always been, "you were always free to go."

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

doobie wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
john118242 wrote:
nh92d wrote:
After a lunch get together with some folks in Concord today.Doobie and i went for a  walk up loudon road then back down to Main st.After me and him parted ways i continued on for another 30-40 mins.i walked up several blocks,crossed over and then back down Main st(all the while making sure that my strongside was towards traffic) and didn't have any issues though i did have a member of the Concord Police dept drive by me turn around then drive by again(on the slow side),but he didn't stop.

I continued my walk back to where i was parked almost expecting to see another cruiser(or same one) drive up but that didn't happen.did some shopping at Market Basket without any issues either..

awesome. has there been any issues in concord? i live  near there and im gunna start ocing . i asked a cop today (a bunch of us sitting beside a police cruiser in the complex ) what he thought on oc and he said he is welll aware that it is legal but like all cops say they have to investigate and then he went on to say its better to get ur concealment licence because you dont want to scare people and want to deal with  the hassle and then he basicaly said it was dumb and i laughed and shut up cause i didint want to offend him and say well then why do u do it lol

I'd suggestion, "Am I being detained?" over asking "Am I free to go?"  They won't answer "Am I free to go?" but they I believe have to answer "Am I being detained?"  it's also the language they are more familiar with.  I'm yet to try it.  But hope to in a few days.  Though I imagine if you use it and they say no, and you walk away, they will likely waste a number of resources watching you.

EDITED:

When I've used "Am I free to go?"  they usually ignore it and ask another question or repeat a question they've asked....  once they are "Satisfied" and you ask "Am I free to go?" they're response has almost always been, "you were always free to go."

There's no difference in the questions or their requirement to answer them.

If they don't answer your question, don't answer any of theirs until they answer. Or just say that you're going to assume the answer is yes and leave.

john118242

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
john118242 wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:

Did you hear that NH just fully legalized all knives, including switchblades?? :celebrate
i just talked to a concord cop and he said butterfly knives are still illegal? what is up with that? do you think he didint understand the new law? is there any RSA on the new knife law in NH? any buddy know anything about this?? i know this should of gone in a new forum but i wanted to quote above

A cop who doesn't know the law. Shocking. :quirky

Cops are not the people to ask about the law. They don't know it well. They know their procedures and can stumble around a statute book, but they're not attorneys or anything close to it.

No, there are no illegal knives in New Hampshire. None. I challenge you to find an RSA that makes any knife illegal.
:) have they made the new RSA for this law? i have found the old one before they passed it .

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The bill didn't add new language to the RSA, it just deleted the language prohibiting knives. The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance probably has some information on the bill's final text.

So, the statute used to read:

159:16 Carrying or Selling Weapons. – Whoever, except as provided by the laws of this state, sells, has in his possession with intent to sell, or carries on his person any stiletto, switch knife, blackjack, dagger, dirk-knife, slung shot or metallic knuckles shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and such weapon or articles so carried by him shall be confiscated to the use of the state.

The language now reads (but is not yet updated on the state's website):

159:16 Carrying or Selling Weapons. Whoever, except as provided by the laws of this state, sells, has in his possession with intent to sell, or carries on his person any blackjack, slung shot, or metallic knuckles shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and such weapon or articles so carried by him shall be confiscated to the use of the state.

john118242

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
The bill didn't add new language to the RSA, it just deleted the language prohibiting knives. The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance probably has some information on the bill's final text.

So, the statute used to read:

159:16 Carrying or Selling Weapons. – Whoever, except as provided by the laws of this state, sells, has in his possession with intent to sell, or carries on his person any stiletto, switch knife, blackjack, dagger, dirk-knife, slung shot or metallic knuckles shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and such weapon or articles so carried by him shall be confiscated to the use of the state.

The language now reads (but is not yet updated on the state's website):

159:16 Carrying or Selling Weapons. Whoever, except as provided by the laws of this state, sells, has in his possession with intent to sell, or carries on his person any blackjack, slung shot, or metallic knuckles shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and such weapon or articles so carried by him shall be confiscated to the use of the state.
awesome. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate my butterfly knives should be here in 2 days im excited . im also getting training with them by a freinds dad who did fighting with the original version of the bailsong knives back in the Philippines spelled it wrong probably lol . im spending like close to 15 hundred dollars on training its alot but worth it for the handgun training basic and knife fighting defensive stuff . im trying to find a taser training class to i want to be well prepared . no i dont need a taser but it is a less lethal way so its worth having

NYNRA

I made a one day trip to Pisgah State park and drove through Hinsdale. Being from NY I have never OCed. I was ATVing in the park, and I believe OC in not allowed while on an ATV, so I only OCed while in the parking area. I did drive thru Hinsdale, saw no one OCing. Didnt have time to explore the area but did stop at Brattlesboro VT for food and gas. I guess I didnt really OC, but its a start.

nhsig220

I made a one day trip to Pisgah State park and drove through Hinsdale. Being from NY I have never OCed. I was ATVing in the park, and I believe OC in not allowed while on an ATV, so I only OCed while in the parking area. I did drive thru Hinsdale, saw no one OCing. Didnt have time to explore the area but did stop at Brattlesboro VT for food and gas. I guess I didnt really OC, but its a start.

You can't carry AT ALL on an ATV without a license.