• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Prince William County

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
BobCav wrote:
SNIP The phrase "An armed society is a polite society" was written in a time when OC was the norm and CC was for criminals and now you know why!

Can you point me to the reference, BobCav?

The earliest I know about is Robert Heinlein, the author. He was part of the Golden Age of Science Fiction, which started, I think, in the 1930's.

According to the NRA he is the originator of the quote.
Specifically from 'Beyond this Horizon'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_This_Horizon

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Went out to CVS at Liberia and PWP, wandered around the store for 15 min, no issues of any kind, bought gas at the Exxon across the parking lot, and had lunch at Arby's, same thing. No hits, no runs, no errors. Another non-event.

Regards

vrwmiller

imported post

Way to go SouthernBoy!! Doesn't it feel good to live in a free state? It would be good to meet you some time. Hopefully, the PWC/Manassas folks can schedule meet ups more frequently. The last one was a good time.

AbNo

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Me - This doesn't bother you, does it? (referring to my sidearm).
She - No, I think people should be able to protect themselves.

So, my first "real" time out was a non-event.

Negative, sir. That was an event right there.

Everyone forgets....

"Nonevent" = no one notices.

The woman you noted above constitutes a positive event. :celebrate

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

AbNo wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Me - This doesn't bother you, does it? (referring to my sidearm).
She - No, I think people should be able to protect themselves.

So, my first "real" time out was a non-event.

Negative, sir. That was an event right there.

Everyone forgets....

"Nonevent" = no one notices.

The woman you noted above constitutes a positive event. :celebrate

Good point and you're correct in your assessment. Thanks. She was fine with my carrying and never seemed to bat an eye. Plus, I didn't get the feeling she was patronizing me to ease any queasiness she may have felt.

SouthernBoy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Way to go SouthernBoy!! Doesn't it feel good to live in a free state? It would be good to meet you some time. Hopefully, the PWC/Manassas folks can schedule meet ups more frequently. The last one was a good time.

That it does, sir, that it does.

As for the meeting up, Hawkflyer tried to put together something yesterday. Perhaps we can get something moving here before long.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well I am still game for an outing, but I am rethinking how I might get to such a meeting. I sent this along to TrueBrit (you will see why in a moment) and BobCav, just for the laugh value. Thought you guys might enjoy a little chuckle as well.

As you read, try to get the mental picture. I am 5' 15" tall (6'3" for those in Loma Linda), and weigh around 195. The whole car is only 11'7" long, so it is a tight fit. They don't call it a "Midget" for nothing.

I have been doing some repairs on a 1949 MGTC Export model. So I finally get it ready to try for a start and a short run. I go in the house get everything together, and go out to the car.

I slide in (I'm far to big to just "get" in, I have to sort of put it on). Leaving the door open, while I start her up, just in case some adjustment is required. She lights up, so I get out, go close the bonnet, crawl back in, and shut the door. These are small "suicide" doors (opens from the front).

Only then do I notice, that it is impossible to reach the pistol in my hip holster, unless I practically lay across the center of the car. It is actually easier to reach outside the car, open the door, and reach the pistol, than to reach it from inside the car. Now THAT is a cover garment.

Of course there is no place to put the gun. No glove box, or other reasonable container. Even the door pocket is too thin for this use. So I say to myself, it would probably not matter in England, and off I go.

So now I have to wonder, what do right handed people do when carrying and trying to drive a Right hand drive car?:banghead: This is the first time I have ever seen a car that required a CHP, if you drive it while armed.

Regards

vrwmiller

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Well I am still game for an outing, but I am rethinking how I might get to such a meeting. I sent this along to TrueBrit (you will see why in a moment) and BobCav, just for the laugh value. Thought you guys might enjoy a little chuckle as well.

As you read, try to get the mental picture. I am 5' 15" tall (6'3" for those in Loma Linda), and weigh around 195. The whole car is only 11'7" long, so it is a tight fit. They don't call it a "Midget" for nothing.

I have been doing some repairs on a 1949 MGTC Export model. So I finally get it ready to try for a start and a short run. I go in the house get everything together, and go out to the car.

I slide in (I'm far to big to just "get" in, I have to sort of put it on). Leaving the door open, while I start her up, just in case some adjustment is required. She lights up, so I get out, go close the bonnet, crawl back in, and shut the door. These are small "suicide" doors (opens from the front).

Only then do I notice, that it is impossible to reach the pistol in my hip holster, unless I practically lay across the center of the car. It is actually easier to reach outside the car, open the door, and reach the pistol, than to reach it from inside the car. Now THAT is a cover garment.

Of course there is no place to put the gun. No glove box, or other reasonable container. Even the door pocket is too thin for this use. So I say to myself, it would probably not matter in England, and off I go.

So now I have to wonder, what do right handed people do when carrying and trying to drive a Right hand drive car?:banghead: This is the first time I have ever seen a car that required a CHP, if you drive it while armed.

Hahaha...nice. We'll have to get pictures of that :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
SouthernBoy touched the monkey.... and he liked it!
:monkey

Congrat's

New OC terminology from Pa. Patriot!

To "touch the monkey" = OC for the first time

This added to:

"Unicorn" = OC'r not known to be affiliated with any gun rights group or OCDO spotted in public by him or herself.

rabbit994

imported post

Your the one Hawkflyer.... you were noticed and called in, it explains the call I got from a friend.

LEO Friend: Where are you?

Rabbit: I believe I'm at home but I can't be sure. Yep, I'm at home.

LEO Friend: Darn, I just got a call for a man with a gun at Arby's.

Rabbit: Nope, not me. Say hello to him for me.

LEO Friend: Yea right, let's see, deal with domestic, backup fellow officer with traffic and deal with one of your friends at Arby's.

Rabbit: May not be one of my friends, if you care so much, go see.

LEO Friend: Chances of me getting to Arby's within next 45 minutes for LOW priority call are getting to close to nil.

zoom6zoom

imported post

Safeway at Dale/Minneville.
Quantico Arms

Did NOT OC into the Dale City PO, but saw while inside that all the posters regarding weapons had been removed. Still had the faded spots on the wall where they used to be...

SouthernBoy

imported post

The crowd's going wild.. they can't stand it. They're out of control (copious amounts of applause). He did it again! HeOC'dinto a small grocery store in Catharpin (most of you western Prince Williamers will know which).

Ok, friends. This is starting to get addictive. I'm starting to "look" for excuses to go somewhere OC'ing. I gotta stop this. I might find myself out of control, too.

Anyway, not a peep, not a glare, nothing said. Another positive outting.

vrwmiller

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Ok, friends. This is starting to get addictive. I'm starting to "look" for excuses to go somewhere OC'ing. I gotta stop this. I might find myself out of control, too.
That's funny. When I started OC'ing, I did the same thing. I would regularly go with the wife to places I would normally not go just so I could OC.

:lol:

SouthernBoy

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
That's funny. When I started OC'ing, I did the same thing. I would regularly go with the wife to places I would normally not go just so I could OC.

:lol:

Yeah crazy, huh? Mind you, I don't go to locations or places where I know I might be inviting something (the Charles Bronson "Death Wish" syndrome). I'm not about to do anything stupid. Nor am I of a mind yet to go into a store where I might be embarassed or asked to leave. For example, today I wanted to go into the Wal-Mart in Manassas alongside of Balls Ford Road. I really was wanting to find something there. But I wasn't sure whether or not Wal-Mart was OC-friendly, so I decided to pass that one up.

Baby steps. Right now I'm just taking baby steps. Still pretty novel to me.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Don't you know we are all wanna be cops/vigilantes, get with the program man
:D

Attachments

• death_wish_three.jpg
    death_wish_three.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 511