• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Prince William County

RGRTim

Newbie in Manassas Park

Good morning all. Recently retired from US Army, wife and I jsut bought house in Manassas Park. I found this thread and hoped to get some info on open carry in PWC, welcome/not welcome extablishements. Doesnt seem to be alot traffic here which should be a good sign.
Hope all have a great day

Marco

Good morning all. Recently retired from US Army, wife and I jsut bought house in Manassas Park. I found this thread and hoped to get some info on open carry in PWC, welcome/not welcome extablishements. Doesnt seem to be alot traffic here which should be a good sign.

Welcome to OCDO and VA. You shouldn't have any problems in PWC. I lived in (Bristow) PWC for 2.5yrs without incident and I OC 99.9% of the time.
The only place I suggest you steer clear of is Tony's.
You can google Tony's 7 to get caught up.

There are plenty of OC'ers in PWC they just don't post much or at all anymore.
Sounthern Boy whom I consider a good friend is in PWC and is an active member on this forum, he'll probably be along shortly to welcome you.

If you haven't already considered joining VCDL please do, or at least sign up for the free VA-Alerts .

From time to time folks post meet and greets (breakfast/lunch/dinnners) in and around NoVA, this is a good time to meet like minded folks as is the VCDL meetings.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yep, Southern Boy and a few others are pretty active.
Toney's and a LEO named Nitrovic are good to stay away from.

I'll pick on NOVA pretty much all the time but don't pay any attention to me (no one else does:uhoh:)

Welcome to the board!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Welcome to OCDO!!! (open carry dot org)

Manassas PD brought the wrath of OCDO and a state gun rights group* down on themselves back in 2007 by mistreating some open carriers at Tonys pizzeria. It was a big noise that also got a fair amount of local press. Of course, MPD denied every accusation for which there was not concrete physical proof. Word on the street was that other NOVA police departments were telling their cops to leave the OCers alone because OCers know more about the law than you (the cop) does.

So, MPD got their butts publicly embarrassed. And, even though everything substantial was denied, since then not one OCer has had more than a dirty glance from MPD. Since then there was one problem with Alexandria police. Maybe one or two incidents with Arlington police. And, Fairfax Co PD seems to generate a cop who doesn't know better every few years or so.

So, overall, NOVA is pretty tame for OCers. But, that does not mean relax. There is always a chance an anti-2A cop will think he has the opportunity to mess with an OCer if he can twist or stretch facts or law to manufacture legal justifications.

In the meantime, just look for the occasional no-gun sign, and be ready to politely leave a business if they say no guns allowed. There are some business categories that are known to be anti-gun, for example, most movie theaters in this area do not approve of guns. Many banks. Most shopping malls are anti-gun. Personally, if visiting a business in one of those categories, I just assume its anti-gun until I know for sure its not. Otherwise, I do the reverse: I just OC into businesses until one tells me "no guns" or I see a sign.

*Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL). There might be one or two other states with equal gun-rights groups, but none are better. VCDL is a great gun rights group. www.vcdl.org

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome to OCDO and VA. You shouldn't have any problems in PWC. I lived in (Bristow) PWC for 2.5yrs without incident and I OC 99.9% of the time.
The only place I suggest you steer clear of is Tony's.
You can google Tony's 7 to get caught up.

There are plenty of OC'ers in PWC they just don't post much or at all anymore.
Sounthern Boy whom I consider a good friend is in PWC and is an active member on this forum, he'll probably be along shortly to welcome you.

If you haven't already considered joining VCDL please do, or at least sign up for the free VA-Alerts .

From time to time folks post meet and greets (breakfast/lunch/dinnners) in and around NoVA, this is a good time to meet like minded folks as is the VCDL meetings.

The feelings mutual, Marco. We miss you up here. I was just at Fosters in Haymarket and it would have been more interesting with your presence.

Yes indeed welcome to the forum, RGRTim. I'd be happy to hook up with you anytime you're of a mind for a lunch here in the area. Just shoot me a PM or if you'd rather, start a thread to set something up for a group.

And BTW, thank you for your service to our nation.

RGRTim

Thanks

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Southernboy, will definatley send you PM once we get moved and settled in.
Have a great day all
Be safe

Arma1911

RGRTim,

I am also prior service and recently moved to the area. Welcome! Looks like there may be a few of us around that we could get a OC event started sometime. Once again, welcome to OCDO and PLEASE check out VCDL.org; it is a great organization.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Southernboy, will definatley send you PM once we get moved and settled in.
Have a great day all
Be safe

RGRTim,

I am also prior service and recently moved to the area. Welcome! Looks like there may be a few of us around that we could get a OC event started sometime. Once again, welcome to OCDO and PLEASE check out VCDL.org; it is a great organization.

I'm game to put something together when you gentlemen are of a mind to do it. Just let me know and we can get moving on it. I'll be away all next week and then the first week of October, I go in the hospital for a total knee replacement. But we can work out something.

PaulX608

Have a great day all
Be safe

RGRTim,

I'm game to put something together when you gentlemen are of a mind to do it. Just let me know and we can get moving on it. I'll be away all next week and then the first week of October, I go in the hospital for a total knee replacement. But we can work out something.

I'm in Manassas as well. I may not post a whole bunch, but I do read all the new stuff here at least twice daily. My job has a bit of a funky schedule, but keep me in the loop for local stuff. I'd like to meet a few folks.

Arma1911 & RGRTim, thank you both for your service. My father and both of my grandfathers were career military and my son is an Army E-4 68W.

RGRTim

Pho 24 Manassas no issues

My wife and I had dinner at the new Pho 24 restautant in Manassas corner of Hwy 28 and Manassas Dr with no issues. food and service were great as well.

JohnM15A

Prince William County OC

OCed at Bungalow Alehouse in Woodbridge. Have not been there for a month or so. Manager came over to talk with me about my gun. He said that I can't drink and carry. I said that I knew the law and informed him that I could open carry and drink but could not conceal carry and drink. He said that sounded crazy and I said yes it was. He then said that he was sorry and thanked me for my patience. He also said that girls were getting all girly (whatever that meant). I knew better, he just wanted to converse with me to see if I was crazy, he could have talked with our waiter to learn whether I was drinking or not...

Saw a guy in the pool room with a pro 2A shirt on so I gave him a yellow card, he thanked me. He looked a little puzzled, I suspect that he was only wearing shirt to be cool...