• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Sevier County

overtaxed1

imported post

After chickening-out a few times on carrying openly since getting my CWP, I finally did it for the first time a few weeks ago. We had been out at baseball games and it was cool so I had a jacket on, but the weather warmed up. After the game we had shopping to do and I shed my jacket. I open carried in Wal-Mart, a convenience store, and (a separate) gas station much to my relief with no screaming, confrontations, or arrests.

I have since open carried on a couple of other occasions and am becoming more confident that people in this area are reasonable and not firearm-phobic (didn't really expect it in rural Utah, but you never know). Recently I was carrying only partially concealed (short t-shirt that didn't really cover very well at all) and came across a Utah Highway Patol Officer while out and about (not a traffic stop). Either he didn't notice (I would think he could easily recognize the print and half a holster hanging below my shirt) or he didn't care.

Thanks to Opencarry.org and the posts (old forum) for getting me more educated on legal, open carry in Utah!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Welcome to the new forum :)

I remember when I first started open carrying. It felt like I was walking around naked. I thought that everyone I met must be on the verge of panic. But I quickly came to see that they were often not even noticing. And when they did, they just assumed that since I was so obviously carrying a gun, that I was entitled to do so.

Good job. And keep it up!

eBratt

imported post

I too felt like that at first. I've found that a great way to keep your situational awareness up and have some fun at the same time is to watch for reactions. Now I am in Provo, with 18 year old college coeds from all sorts of liberal states and belive it or not I have yet to have a single person give any visual cues that they have noticed! I am sure someone will at some point. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit, but I am more inclined to think that there are some very unobservant people out there.

ChuckC

imported post

I have a sister who lives in Provo. She went to college out there (BYU in fact) and met her husband shortly after she moved there. I have been planning on visiting her sometime soon and hearing your story makes me feel much better about considering open carry when I do visit. :cool:

Thanks for your story!

In liberty,

Chuck