• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Washington

Skargon

Hello, My name is Joe;
I am 23 years old, Married; and just have an average life I guess.

I'm a regular guy, no laws ever broken by me, no trouble ever had. But recently I was robbed at gunpoint, and I feared for my life.

I have a .357 but just for fun, I never thought of carrying it. I will carry with .38 NOT .357 ROUNDS. Carrying a .357 just seems, well honestly.. Stupid.
I have been around firearms my entire life, I love them. and soon I will be buying a much better carry piece, but for now the .38 is going to be my sidearm.

I just want to know, If I open carry while walking to work, will I be hassled by the police? I do not have a CPL. But will be getting one soon.
I just don't want another gun in my face, it was something I will never forget. And don't want to see ever again.

Thank you for your time,
-Joe M

eye95

Not being from WA, I can't speak to how LE treats OCers in that State.

However, I did want to say a word about ammo.

What you choose to carry is 100% your choice, but, given that choice, I'd recommend that you carry the ammo that has the best chance of stopping a threat to your life. That is, after all, the reason you're carrying.

Since you had the firearm just for fun, I fear that all of your .38 ammo is ball ammo. If that is the case and you still choose to carry only with .38 loaded, make sure that you are loading with hollow-points. There are two reasons not to use ball ammo for personal protection. Yes, hollow-points have more stopping power. But, more importantly, unlike ball ammo, they tend not to pass through the target and strike the crying baby in the stroller behind him.

One other consideration: What happens to the firearm when you get to work?

Skargon

Their is a locker in the back of the shop I work in, It will be un loaded and locked seperatly from the ammo each work day

I have hollow point ammo, for home defense. I usually shoot ball for targets.

I am just worried about being hassled by police, or scaring people. I am thin, so concealing is difficult without wearing clothing that is too large.

OCbaldguy

Best thing to do is to read and understand the laws. Ensure your employer is ok with you bringing a gun to work, etc. As for police hassling you, i really don't know. I'm new to this whole OC thing as well so i'm easing myself into it. Tacoma can be rough, what area if you don't mind me asking? The only bad thing about OC with no CPL is that if you even accidentally conceal it, the police can arrest you for unlawful concealment. You have to make absolutely sure it's in full view at all times. Also no car carry. Ammo and gun have to be in separate areas with no CPL in a car. I would have to say that you might get a little harassed by police if you're in a bad part of Tacoma. If you know the law and are allowed to have the gun, then you should be ok. Not above reproach mind you, but ok.

1245A Defender

Wowza!!!

Their is a locker in the back of the shop I work in, It will be un loaded and locked seperatly from the ammo each work day

I have hollow point ammo, for home defense. I usually shoot ball for targets.

I am just worried about being hassled by police, or scaring people. I am thin, so concealing is difficult without wearing clothing that is too large.

1st, Welcome to the forum.
2nd, no need to unload, or store ammo seperate in the lockers.
The only need is to keep from allowing clothing to cover your gun, or to place a loaded gun in your car!
Tacoma police have been well schooled by our friend, Mainsail many years ago.
Ask us, study interactions, and learn how to deal with the cops, the public and the sheeple.
Since you walk to work, you should be able to carry your gun fully loaded from home to work,
store it locked up, and carry it home without un/loading,,, ever!
I will add to Eye95s advice by saying, carry 357mag ammo!
If you ever shoot in defense, you deserve the most defense your gun can give you!

Best thing to do is to read and understand the laws. Ensure your employer is ok with you bringing a gun to work, etc. As for police hassling you, i really don't know. I'm new to this whole OC thing as well so i'm easing myself into it. Tacoma can be rough, what area if you don't mind me asking? The only bad thing about OC with no CPL is that if you even accidentally conceal it, the police can arrest you for unlawful concealment. You have to make absolutely sure it's in full view at all times. Also no car carry. Ammo and gun have to be in separate areas with no CPL in a car. I would have to say that you might get a little harassed by police if you're in a bad part of Tacoma. If you know the law and are allowed to have the gun, then you should be ok. Not above reproach mind you, but ok.

1st, welcome to the forum.
2nd, you have not been here long enough, nor have you studied well enough, to know enough to give advice that you dont know, so stop.
Nowhere in Washington state law is there a requirement to store or seperate guns and ammo,,, anywhere!!
Many folks that dont have a CPL never actually "chamber" a round,,, they leave their gun in the holster, always...
Before they get in the car, they pop their loaded mag out of the gun, then put it in their shirt pocket.
When they get out of their car they just slip that loaded mag back into their gun.
Since carrying a gun for personna self defense is really MOST important when you must be in a BAD part of town,,
this is the most important place, and the place where police would most expect
that a reasonable, responsible, lawful, young family man to carry a gun!!!!!

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
(A)I am just worried about being hassled by police, or
(B)scaring people.
(C)I am thin, so
(D)concealing is difficult without wearing clothing that is too large.

Welcome to OCDO and please check the local page for more info http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?131-Washington
ON these...
(A)Be polite, go about your business, do not break a law
(B)Not your problem. I scare people because I am ugly. Not my problem.
(C)Eat more and exercise
(D)Don't conceal. The idea here is to Open Carry.
Enjoy your stay

acmariner99

Hello, My name is Joe;
I am 23 years old, Married; and just have an average life I guess.

I'm a regular guy, no laws ever broken by me, no trouble ever had. But recently I was robbed at gunpoint, and I feared for my life.

I have a .357 but just for fun, I never thought of carrying it. I will carry with .38 NOT .357 ROUNDS. Carrying a .357 just seems, well honestly.. Stupid.
I have been around firearms my entire life, I love them. and soon I will be buying a much better carry piece, but for now the .38 is going to be my sidearm.

I just want to know, If I open carry while walking to work, will I be hassled by the police? I do not have a CPL. But will be getting one soon.
I just don't want another gun in my face, it was something I will never forget. And don't want to see ever again.

Thank you for your time,
-Joe M

Welcome aboard! For future reference, threads that are state specific can go in the appropriate sub-forum. LEO's in WA IMO are better educated and informed about the legality of OC than many other places. I have OCed all across the state for years without issue. On the rare occasion where the police were called (to my knowledge), they merely observed and kept their distance.

Don't worry about other people's opinions - if you act normally people won't be apprehensive. How you carry yourself is just as important (arguably more so) than how you carry your firearm. If someone is nervous, a smile, nod, or friendly hello overwhelmingly puts people at ease.

Carry in accordance with your comfort level, but get a CPL if you want to carry concealed on your person or carry loaded in a vehicle. With a revolver, carrying unloaded in a vehicle would probably be more difficult to do, but you can unload and carry "with the gun duct taped to your forehead" as the saying goes.

If you want to ease yourself into carrying openly (and have some interesting camaraderie) we have OC meets in different parts of the Puget Sound area throughout the month. See the WA sub forum for details.

Skargon

Thanks for the welcome fella's.

Glad to know I have nothing to worry about. And I guess I will be picking up some .357 defense rounds.
Hopefully, I will never have to use one on a person. I just want this to keep me from being robbed again. That sucked :cuss:

OCbaldguy

1st, welcome to the forum.
2nd, you have not been here long enough, nor have you studied well enough, to know enough to give advice that you dont know, so stop.
Nowhere in Washington state law is there a requirement to store or seperate guns and ammo,,, anywhere!!
Many folks that dont have a CPL never actually "chamber" a round,,, they leave their gun in the holster, always...
Before they get in the car, they pop their loaded mag out of the gun, then put it in their shirt pocket.
When they get out of their car they just slip that loaded mag back into their gun.
Since carrying a gun for personna self defense is really MOST important when you must be in a BAD part of town,,
this is the most important place, and the place where police would most expect
that a reasonable, responsible, lawful, young family man to carry a gun!!!!!

Thanks, and my apologies.

cirrusly

Hi Joe- and welcome to the forum!

I am not from the state of Washington, but resonate with the "average" persona. I have never had more than a speeding ticket, and hold a fulfilling career and social life. That said, the concept of OC was a bit daunting at first. Maybe because it is to a majority of the general population: uncommon, in the least!

However, I now exercise my 2A rights regularly through OC and have never once been approached by a law enforcement officer (LEO) here in Virginia. Just know the applicable laws for your state, and municipality (if there's no state preemption.) Knowing the law will in turn raise your comfort level with OC, as you may rest assured you are on the right side of the law, even if and when a LEO encounter occurs.

And if you have any questions, as you've already found, this forum is a great resource.