• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Wyoming

Maxxifide

My father gave me a handgun for my 18th birthday. I have a NRA Certificate for basic pistol shooting and am planning on getting my CC permit when I turn 21. I have been shooting for over five years and have been shooting handguns for about four years. I will be riding a enduro motorcycle during next summer (in 2016) and will be doing a lot of back country riding and camping. I would like to take my hand gun, because it is easier to have on a motorcycle, to protect myself from animals. I have looked at other forums and many say that I need certain certification, parents signature, and some say there are no age restrictions for open carry. (http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=318) I have asked one police officer in my town about this and he said you have to be 21 yrs old to carry. I personally think he thought that I was talking about CC not OC.

So my question is: In Wyoming, am I allowed to OC my hand gun when I am under 21?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My father gave me a handgun for my 18th birthday. I have a NRA Certificate for basic pistol shooting and am planning on getting my CC permit when I turn 21. I have been shooting for over five years and have been shooting handguns for about four years. I will be riding a enduro motorcycle during next summer (in 2016) and will be doing a lot of back country riding and camping. I would like to take my hand gun, because it is easier to have on a motorcycle, to protect myself from animals. I have looked at other forums and many say that I need certain certification, parents signature, and some say there are no age restrictions for open carry. (http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=318) I have asked one police officer in my town about this and he said you have to be 21 yrs old to carry. I personally think he thought that I was talking about CC not OC.

So my question is: In Wyoming, am I allowed to OC my hand gun when I am under 21?

Absolutely!

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=139

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Residents may carry open or concealed without a permit however, permits are issued to those who wish to have them. Non-residents are required to have a CCW permit from a state Wyoming recognizes if they wish to carry concealed.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wyoming.pdf

Last edited:

solus

welcome to the forum, kudos to you for have shown you are responsible enough to have gotten your caregiver's trust to present you with a handgun for your B'day. it seems you have fulfilled other items most fail to do, you have taken training and have/are practicing with the firearm.

there are quite a few states that allow those <21 to OC but remember while allowed, it does not mean you won't get hassled by the nice LEs who see your firearm on your hip. remember to play nice if accosted, er questioned, by the nice LEs.

you didn't mention the caliber but remember you might encounter problems being under 21 when you go and try to purchase ammo...just an observation!

i noticed you put the windy city down as your location yet profess to want to OC in the cowboy state. you must assure you properly xport your firearm out of IL through adjoining states till you get to the cowboy state...and be cognizant of each of the individual states firearm transportation requirements.

again welcome...

ipse

Maxxifide

Would this change anything?

Absolutely!

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=139

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Residents may carry open or concealed without a permit however, permits are issued to those who wish to have them. Non-residents are required to have a CCW permit from a state Wyoming recognizes if they wish to carry concealed.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wyoming.pdf

I have a Wyoming license but I am going to school in Chicago for my last year (this year) of high school. I still have a house in Wyoming and plan to live there during the summer and when I am off school in college. Am I still a resident even though I am spending about 7 months in Illinois?

Maxxifide

A few follow up questions...

welcome to the forum, kudos to you for have shown you are responsible enough to have gotten your caregiver's trust to present you with a handgun for your B'day. it seems you have fulfilled other items most fail to do, you have taken training and have/are practicing with the firearm.

there are quite a few states that allow those <21 to OC but remember while allowed, it does not mean you won't get hassled by the nice LEs who see your firearm on your hip. remember to play nice if accosted, er questioned, by the nice LEs.

you didn't mention the caliber but remember you might encounter problems being under 21 when you go and try to purchase ammo...just an observation!

i noticed you put the windy city down as your location yet profess to want to OC in the cowboy state. you must assure you properly xport your firearm out of IL through adjoining states till you get to the cowboy state...and be cognizant of each of the individual states firearm transportation requirements.

again welcome...

ipse

I would be carrying a Glock 19 with the 2 round extension in each mag. I have been shooting it for the past 2 years and have been learning and shooting with a avid CC permit holder and has a long history of serving in the Israeli military as well as private security at many mosques in Austria. I am going to have no problem buying ammunition. In Wyoming I have bought hundreds of handgun and rifle rounds, alone and at the age of 16. My home town is Chicago, but I lived in Wyoming last year and have a license from there. I have been visiting Wy since I was 10 and have wanted to live out there ever since. I came home this year to live with my mom before I go to college. All of my families guns are locked and stowed away in our home in Wy.

I have a few followup questions for you. 1. What are "LEs"? 2. What do you think of a leg holster for when I am riding my motorcycle? 3. When I am in my truck and I have the gun on my hip do I need to take it out of the holster and out it in a "clearly visible" spot? (like the passenger seat) 4. What should I do if I it is raining or cold out and I would like to wear a light jacket? How do I show that I am open carrying a handgun and not CCing without a permit? 5. Should I get the Chief of Police to sign something that shows that I am not breaking any laws and am allowed to open carry? 6. Should I take a class such as the Sig Sauer Defensive Pistol Course? - I was going to wait until I was about 20 yrs old, to help prepare me for my life of conceal carrying.

Thank you for welcoming me and taking time out of your day to help inform me about this!
-Max

solus

I would be carrying a Glock 19 with the 2 round extension in each mag. I have been shooting it for the past 2 years and have been learning and shooting with a avid CC permit holder and has a long history of serving in the Israeli military as well as private security at many mosques in Austria. I am going to have no problem buying ammunition. In Wyoming I have bought hundreds of handgun and rifle rounds, alone and at the age of 16. My home town is Chicago, but I lived in Wyoming last year and have a license from there. I have been visiting Wy since I was 10 and have wanted to live out there ever since. I came home this year to live with my mom before I go to college. All of my families guns are locked and stowed away in our home in Wy.

I have a few followup questions for you.
1. What are "LEs"?
2. What do you think of a leg holster for when I am riding my motorcycle?
3. When I am in my truck and I have the gun on my hip do I need to take it out of the holster and out it in a "clearly visible" spot? (like the passenger seat)
4. What should I do if I it is raining or cold out and I would like to wear a light jacket? How do I show that I am open carrying a handgun and not CCing without a permit?
5. Should I get the Chief of Police to sign something that shows that I am not breaking any laws and am allowed to open carry?
6. Should I take a class such as the Sig Sauer Defensive Pistol Course? - I was going to wait until I was about 20 yrs old, to help prepare me for my life of conceal carrying.

Thank you for welcoming me and taking time out of your day to help inform me about this!
-Max

max, there is something call'd an 'enter' key to provide reading clarity between your individual query(ies) i took the liberty of doing so with your quoted post.

1. Law Enforcement, peace officers, ad nauseam.

2. personally and strictly from my experience when i am on my scoot, i prefer the firearm where i can assure it is secure on my hip by my elbow with a minor movement of my arm. additionally, i am not a fan of those type of holsters since i am not LE, serving in the military etc. there are some who will be along and provide their perspective soon, i am sure.

3. when traveling, i know the law of the land and travel with a small fire safe left with foam cut out for the firearm left open on the passenger seat and if stopped, i close the box and say..."can i help your officer?" hand my DL then state: "am i free to go?" repeating as necessary. (either watch the youtube four 1-hr segments on dealing with the nice LEs or get 'you and the police' book or do both)
side note the key is not on your person but rather put away someplace in the trunk.

4. if your out in the middle of nowhere...eh...if in civilization it is open and exposed for the elements and all to see...no option unless you take it off and put in box mentioned in 3.

5. oh bloody h3ll no...a laminated business sized card from your caregiver(s) saying you were given the firearm with their fone numbers on it in case you can't get away from the 'can i help you officer' mode.

6. there you go and ruin the experience...'prepare me when i can CC' ~ i'm sorry say what? more training sure, but why not consider competition training and such...

ipse

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

I have found that a drop leg holster works fairly well for motorcycle riding. It depends on how much leather you will wear. Also, IMO, steer clear of the ACE brand holster. Might be made in the USA but their warranty is hokey at best.

Get one of the better made holsters, I believe that one of the forum supporters sells holsters and it does good to buy from those supporting the forum.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk