• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry into a public facility

cody.eimers

My question is regarding public buildings and firearms. Should public buildings like a library have signs posted on the public entrances informing patrons that no weapons are allowed inside?

I ask because I was recently cited for that exact thing, when addressed by staff and shown the rules hanging in an inconspicuous spot, that is no visible from the entrance, I apologized and took the handgun to my car and came back inside and kept browsing (should have just left). After checking my books out I left, drove about a mile away where I was pulled over at gunpoint, removed of my gun while inside the car, and then cited for prohibited weapons in a public facility. They returned my firearm under their commanders approval.

Does anyone have any insight into a situation like this?

Fallschirjmäger

"Which state?" is a pretty important part of the answer.
You might repost or ask this to be moved to the Colorado sub-forum where it would get more correct answers.

It would also be very helpful to know the which Colorado Revised Statute number you allegedly violated, it should be printed on the citation. If not, then the 'long title' of exactly which CRS.

... and... it wasn't in Denver, by any chance, was it?

BTW, it's entirely possible that the officers put down an incorrect CRS number, knowing it was false, in the hopes of discouraging you. They won't suffer in any way for doing so as it will be a 'legitimate mistake' and they were 'operating in good faith'. See if the county solicitor/prosecutor doesn't request to have the charges dropped before trial

Last edited:

cody.eimers

Yes it is in Colorado, sorry I'm fairly new to this app. I have posted in a Colorado gun owners forum as well, but did not see a Colorado open carry sub forum.

cody.eimers

Littleton,CO. The code refers to the unlawful carrying of weapons when signs are posted.

cody.eimers

Would it be in my best interest to contact the prosecutor or just have the attorney I am going to hire to do that in my interest?