• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of a loaded firearm

Mican

Penal code section 25850 only prohibits open carry of a loaded firearm in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory. I live and normally stay within Calaveras County, where there is only one incorporated town, Angels Camp. Does that suggest that I can pretty much open carry loaded through the county as long as I stay away from Angels Camp?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Penal code section 25850 only prohibits open carry of a loaded firearm in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory. I live and normally stay within Calaveras County, where there is only one incorporated town, Angels Camp. Does that suggest that I can pretty much open carry loaded through the county as long as I stay away from Angels Camp?

Generally, yes.

This assumes you are aware of the other pitfalls of possession and transportation that affect all Californians. School zones, prohibited discharge areas, postal property, and public buildings are all still in play. you will need to consult an attorney to be fully in compliance.

Mican

However, Section 9.12.30 appears to be limited to actually prohibiting the discharge of any firearm within 150 yards of any occupied building without the permission of the owner. It says nothing about simply carrying a weapon, loaded or unloaded, within such distance.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
However, Section 9.12.30 appears to be limited to actually prohibiting the discharge of any firearm within 150 yards of any occupied building without the permission of the owner. It says nothing about simply carrying a weapon, loaded or unloaded, within such distance.

It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express written permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to discharge any firearm (as defined in California Penal Code section 12001.2(b)) within one hundred fifty yards of any occupied dwelling, house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The one hundred fifty-yard area is a "safety zone".

Discharge is prohibited by local ordinance in this 'safety zone'.

12031(a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

What is a prohibited area?

12031(f) As used in this section, "prohibited area" means any place
where it is unlawful to discharge a weapon.

Combining the two laws makes it so that you would have to carry unloaded anywhere inside this invisable 'safety zone'.