• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry of holstered handguns welcome at Nashville, TN NRA convention

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/planning-on-packing-heat-at-nra-nashville-2015

SNIP

This year the National Rifle Association (NRA) will hold its annual meetings and exhibits in Nashville, TN, the weekend of April 10 - 12. In the past, some venues have been posted against carry by those with state issued permits/licenses.

. . .

[But d]uring the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. . . . Open or concealed? Tennessee law doesn't prohibit open carry, like Texas and Florida, although OC is seldom seen in the Knoxville area. For further OC info check the Tennessee Attorney General Opinion here. The Tennessee Department of Safety's Handgun Carry Permit page is here [spoiler alert -the TN AG Opinion states that open and concealed handgun carriers must have a concealed handgun permit recognized by Tennessee in order to fall within the safe harbor provided by the permit carry statute from being convicted of "the crime of carrying a weapon for the purpose of going armed."

Tennessee law also authorizes carry of a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit.

. . .

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, neither the NRA nor the Examiner make it clear that the Bridgestone Arena, where guns are prohibited, is NOT the main venue for the exposition - which is in the perfectly legal to carry Music City Center.

One wonders why the both the NRA and the Examiner, who both bothered to point out where carry was not OK, didn't bother to make clear what was scheduled to go on in the Bridgestone Arena...??

ADulay

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just tack this on here.

I'll be spending a few days just west of Nashville this week and wanted to check to see if there were any special "off limits" places that would rather not have me open carrying, other than the usual grouping.

I do have a valid Florida CWFL, of course.

Reading through the state regs, I didn't see anything special about the Nashville area so I'll just assume the open carry is a legal and valid method for me.

AD

Dirk platinum

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just tack this on here.

I'll be spending a few days just west of Nashville this week and wanted to check to see if there were any special "off limits" places that would rather not have me open carrying, other than the usual grouping.

I do have a valid Florida CWFL, of course.

Reading through the state regs, I didn't see anything special about the Nashville area so I'll just assume the open carry is a legal and valid method for me.

AD

Open/concealed makes no difference in Tennessee . If you can carry you can carry .

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Open/concealed makes no difference in Tennessee . If you can carry you can carry .
Are you asserting that one who does not possess a concealed carry license/permit can, for instance, carry in parks?

Last edited:

Fallguy

Are you asserting that one who does not possess a concealed carry license/permit can, for instance, carry in parks?

I don't think that is what he was saying. In TN you need a permit to carry period, whether it is open or concealed as opposed to some states where you may need a permit to carry concealed, but not openly. Parks are legal to carry in in TN, but you must have a carry permit