• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Public Federal Lands

Logan 5

Bureau of Indian Affairs
Up to the tribe council.

Bureau of Land Management
OC & CC is legal on BLM lands, but not in BLM facilities.

Bureau of Reclamation
BoR has only facilities (that I know of) aside from project sites. In general no OC or CC.

Department of Energy
Up to the site manager. Generally facilities are no OC, CC only with a state CC permit and project sites are upto the project manager.

Fish and Wildlife Services
Up to the facility manager, however facilities are generally no OC and CC only with a state CC permit and lands/refuge sites are upto the refuge manager. In every refuge I have been to OC & CC both long gun and hand gun have not been a problem. In fact every refuge I have been to hunting was permitted, though heavily restricted.

Forest Services?
Facilities are no OC, CC only with a state CC permit, though this is upto the district & regional rangers. Out in the forest, I don't think they really care. Usually. Sometimes you get some really weird people there, but for the most part so long as you ain't shooting at them or at USFS structure/equipment/signs, they don't care.

Department of Defense land not specific to a military base ?
Up to the site manager.
HTH

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...OC & CC is legal on BLM lands, but not in BLM facilities...

I don't know about all the others, but this one has some caveats.

For example, near me is Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, managed by the BLM.

Their rule there is that you can otherwise carry in accordance with state laws, but it can not be loaded. They have approached OC'ers in the past to ask them to unload their sidearms. They have been polite about it, but they have enforced it occasionally.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo..._rock_nca/recreation/target_shooting_and.html

Last edited:

cirrusly

Did some more digging and National Monuments including: Colorado National Monument, and Montezuma Castle National Monument follow the "Credit CARD Act of 2009" provisions for carry. However, because these monuments are managed by NPS there is still the lingering question: Is carry permissible because of NPS management of the monument, or because National Monuments inherently fall within the category of National Park and Wildlife system?

http://www.nps.gov/colm/parkmgmt/firearms-regulations.htm
http://www.nps.gov/moca/parkmgmt/change-in-firearms-policy.htm

Also, how can BLM blindly ban loaded carry in a certain area? Is it simply because BLM has been given the authority to "regulate the land" and does not fall under the Credit CARD Act of 2009 statutes?

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo..._rock_nca/recreation/target_shooting_and.html

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Also, how can BLM blindly ban loaded carry in a certain area? Is it simply because BLM has been given the authority to "regulate the land" and does not fall under the Credit CARD Act of 2009 statutes?...

The CARD Act only affected lands managed by National Park Service and National Wildlife Refuge System. Fortunately for us in Southern NV and Northern AZ, that included the NPS's Lake Mead National Recreation Area, but it does not include the BLM's Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area west of Las Vegas. A lot of people missed out on lands managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers, too, which is a lot of public land that has no need of being a secure area.

Last edited:

Seriona

Here in WA as of 2014, our state controls all firearms at state level, no local can enforce laws stricter than state. So we can OC or CC in state parks and native lands. If my memory serves me correct, Indian lands are technically colonies of the US federal government and are enforces as such but I also believe that they made a clause saying that the states are allowed to use the 10th amendment for laws. Which I assume means you can OC/CC on native lands. I have OC on native lands and no one has said anything to me but I also didn't encounter native police either. So I am not sure but I believe it ultimately follows your local laws.

sudden valley gunner

Here in WA as of 2014, our state controls all firearms at state level, no local can enforce laws stricter than state. So we can OC or CC in state parks and native lands. If my memory serves me correct, Indian lands are technically colonies of the US federal government and are enforces as such but I also believe that they made a clause saying that the states are allowed to use the 10th amendment for laws. Which I assume means you can OC/CC on native lands. I have OC on native lands and no one has said anything to me but I also didn't encounter native police either. So I am not sure but I believe it ultimately follows your local laws.

Federal lands you are ok on, just not the buildings if I recall.

Tribal lands I also have had no problems. Yet they can trespass you if they feel like and different tribes have different rules.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Very few states (like NM) have state laws to make it an actual crime for non-tribal members to carry guns on reservations against tribal laws. For most states, it is just a trespassing issue. The Indians can make you leave their land, but they can't arrest you for breaking Indian laws.

Many Indian cops (if not most) are also state-sworn LEO's, though, and can arrest or cite for violations of state laws.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The laws regarding open carry on National Parks is widely discussed.

All the discussion in the world is likely to net you a few good answers and a boatload of opinions, some of which are wrong. With that in mind...

National Parks: http://home.nps.gov/news/release.htm?id=962

National Forests: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml

Bureau of Land Management: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/recreation/hunting.print.html

Bureau of Indian Affairs and the rest... ?