• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry permit/concealed

Sexypicklesucker

So to start off I'm 20 and I've been OC since I was 18 and I live in KY primarily. But I have family in Tennessee. So I was wondering if there was a way to be able to open carry/concealed carry in TN. I can't get a concealed carry permit permit yet (I'm in the army btw and every other state would let me) does KY even issue OC permits anymore and would it transfer states? I can't find anything that helps online so I figured I would ask.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I would first start here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Tennessee statute: 39-17-1319. Handgun possession prohibited -- Exceptions.
(a) As used in this section and § 39-17-1320, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged, the length of the barrel of which, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed twelve inches (12"); and
(2) "Juvenile" means any person less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(b) Except as provided in this section, it is an offense for a juvenile to knowingly possess a handgun.

I think Active Military can get a license.

Last edited:

Sexypicklesucker

I would first start here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Tennessee statute: 39-17-1319. Handgun possession prohibited -- Exceptions.
(a) As used in this section and § 39-17-1320, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Handgun" means a pistol, revolver, or other firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged, the length of the barrel of which, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed twelve inches (12"); and
(2) "Juvenile" means any person less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(b) Except as provided in this section, it is an offense for a juvenile to knowingly possess a handgun.
I've read that and it don't really tell me anything useful lol I mean it says I need a permit for both but I can't get a permit because I don't have a primary residence and or work in the state

Ghost1958

I've read that and it don't really tell me anything useful lol I mean it says I need a permit for both but I can't get a permit because I don't have a primary residence and or work in the state

A permit has never been needed to OC in ky.
Tennesse one permit covers both modes of carry

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What do you mean contrary to their constitution?
Section 26.
That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime.
The state has a choice to regulate open carry or concealed carry, not both. And the reading the section and all supporting case (other than TN case law) law the meaning is to regulate conceal carry only.

Sexypicklesucker

The state has a choice to regulate open carry or concealed carry, not both. And the reading the section and all supporting case (other than TN case law) law the meaning is to regulate conceal carry only.
So open carry according to there laws would be legal. But I really don't wanna end up in handcuffs

HPmatt

I've got my Texas LTC and remember driving thru TN - that it is dependent on the officer asking to see the license.
So you don't think Military ID would work? Hopefully it lists your legal name....

solus

Handgunlaw.us ~ TN:

Minimum Age for Permit/License: 21 ( 18 for Veterans/Active Military)

Where is your DL from ~ TN or Ky?