• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry question

massltca

imported post

Why is New hampshire listed as anomalous if firearms laws are fully preempted and the attorney general has issued an opinion stating that open carry is in fact a right? It seems pretty clear that open carry is lawful.

fitz

imported post

And the wife and I get around that by having the permit. So I'm covered both ways. If I shed my jacket, no problems. If I jump in the car, ditto.

Getting the CCW permit here is as easy as Pie. Name address and ph. #. 3 personal references. Hand it in to your towns police chief w/ $10, and as long as you are an upstanding fellow, he must hand you a permit to CCW within 14 days.

Fitz

zoom6zoom

imported post

NH non-resident is just as easy, just as fast, just costs $20 instead of $10. And for some reason non-residents get a nice credit card type permit, while I understand residents just get a piece of paper.

tattedupboy

imported post

Were it not for the prohibition on permitless car carry, New Hampshire would be a gold star open carry state.

OTOH, is anyone aware of any attempt by any pro gun groups or pro gun legislators to allow open carry in a vehicle without a permit? I've always thought it was dumb to allow pedestrians to carry, but to punish drivers who do it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Better yet, just go for full car carry rights - texas just did it, and 15 other states do to - do not absolutely require a permit to conceal in a car. See the travelers' map.

mvpel

imported post

It's arguable that the prohibition on car carry is unconstitutional in light of Article 2-a, which was enacted subsequently, but nobody's had the inclination to get arrested over it and raise a constitutional challenge. And with a state supreme court that can dream up Claremont I and II, I'm not sure I'd be inclined either. The best bet would have been a repeal of the "in any vehicle" words I think, but Rep. Wheeler wanted to go for the whole ball of wax with an Alaska bill a couple of years ago, and now we've got Democrat dominance thanks to last year's elections.