• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Sarpy/Douglas County

Anthony Castro

Looking for like minded people to get together to go to the ranges here in Sarpy County.
Also trying to get a group to start open carrying in public places. (Think its safer for the carriers to go in numbers, espc. when LEO show up.)

Anthony - Papillion, NE
Glock 22 Gen4

Signick

You right

I was stopped in Papillion at the Hy-vee for carrying open and I even did my homework on it and I still was told to take my fire arm and put it In my car. I'm up for open carrying in a group and I'm sure I've got a few friends that'll come with.

Last edited:

Michael Sterling

Open carry group

Afternoon,
My family and I will be taking our CCW this saturday. Once we can legal carry concealed, I will be willing to take on the open carry issue to help make others aware that it is safe and legal.

Other than above, how has your attempts proceeded?

Nicodemus John

Open Carry

Anthony, I am slightly confused on the laws, and have found that MANY others are also...

So, I have a few simple questions that hopefully will clear the air... (PLEASE do not provide answers without evidence to verify them as true)

#1 Can a person OPEN carry in SARPY COUNTY without an Open Carry Permit?
#2 Can a person OPEN carry in DOUGLAS COUNTY WITH an Open Carry Permit?
#3 WHY are there (seemingly) NO teachers of Open Carry classes/permits in the Omaha/Metro Area? (if there are, please cite them)
#4 Where can ALL the above asked questions be answered?

Thanks ahead of time for the response, and if ya could, please send an email to me, so we can hook up and get to engageing in our 2nd and 1st Am. Rights!

Looking for like minded people to get together to go to the ranges here in Sarpy County.
Also trying to get a group to start open carrying in public places. (Think its safer for the carriers to go in numbers, espc. when LEO show up.)

Anthony - Papillion, NE
Glock 22 Gen4

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anthony, I am slightly confused on the laws, and have found that MANY others are also...

So, I have a few simple questions that hopefully will clear the air... (PLEASE do not provide answers without evidence to verify them as true)

#1 Can a person OPEN carry in SARPY COUNTY without an Open Carry Permit?
#2 Can a person OPEN carry in DOUGLAS COUNTY WITH an Open Carry Permit?
#3 WHY are there (seemingly) NO teachers of Open Carry classes/permits in the Omaha/Metro Area? (if there are, please cite them)
#4 Where can ALL the above asked questions be answered?

Thanks ahead of time for the response, and if ya could, please send an email to me, so we can hook up and get to engageing in our 2nd and 1st Am. Rights!
1 - Sarpy County does not appear to have an open carry ban nor require a permit to OC - at least none that I could find.
......http://www.municode.com/

1.1 - Nebraska is an open carry state. However, state preemption does not reach local open carry bans.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=269

1.2 Read the state statute here

2 - Omaha/Douglas County does have extra-legal requirements for carrying there - read following:
..... http://nebraskafirearms.org/2010/02/carrying-a-handgun-in-omaha/

3 - The are no formal statutory open carry laws in NE; consequentially OC is legal because there are no laws against it.
Therefore few "teach it" and it is not a requirement in class syllabus of NRA instructors - note the NRA is very resistant to OC.

4 - You have come to the very best site for OC information. Unfortunately, there are not as many active practitioners as in other states.

A quick overview of NE laws can be found at: http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Nebraska-Gun-Laws.htm

Suggest you link up with friends - always act responsibly, know the law first & smile a lot - consider joining http://nebraskafirearms.org/ at the very least peruse their site.

Last edited:

ADulay

Grapeshot,

Good to see you in still another state area!

Anyway, as I'm my usual (annual) motorcycle trip west, I've been open carrying in Nebraska for the last two days with zero problems. Many diners, gas stations, grocery stores and pretty much everywhere from the time I leave the motel room until I get back.

Nice restaurants, hole in the wall diners and everything in between.

Have done the same all the way up from Florida through GA, OH, IN , KY and MO so far, as usual.

Headed into the Dakotas tomorrow.

AD (open carry advocate and full time practitioner)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot,

Good to see you in still another state area!

--snip--
I have a personal interest in NE gun laws, particularly as they effect Omaha/Douglas county - I was born and raised there.

The people are the "salt of the earth", warm and friendly folks. Unfortunatly, they don't seem to realize that their very freedom is at stake with the attacks on the 2A and RKBA - at least they have not collectively risen up to the challange.

The Omaha PD and city council negative attitude is something about which I could write volumes - they just don't get it. The people deserve better.

As a teenage, I carried my rifle team long gun home on the streetcar/buses with nary a complaint - was given my first pistol by a window (husband's gun), she asked my parents if it was OK. So much has changed - none for the better.