• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry "Threatening"

aadvark

Open Carry got me Arrested in Georgia for Reckless Conduct.
That does not mean that I have broken the Law, only that I have been accused for it.
Open Carry is not Illegal, and does not equate to Disorderly or Reckless Conduct, and The Courts have ruled it so.
The question here is: Are you willing to go above and beyond to prove to others the Validity of your Conduct?
I am willing to do so, but..., I would hope that others would be too.

Last edited:

estcrh

Open Carry got me Arrested in Georgia for Reckless Conduct.
That does not mean that I have broken the Law, only that I have been accused for it.
Open Carry is not Illegal, and does not equate to Disorderly or Reckless Conduct, and The Courts have ruled it so.
The question here is: Are you willing to go above and beyond to prove to others the Validity of your Conduct?
I am willing to do so, but..., I would hope that others would be too.

I have a residence in Atlanta and would like to hear were you were and what happened in your case if you dont mind letting us know.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Get your facts straight

Open carry got my permit to carry suspended.
Open carry got Kurt Kirby in washington arrested.
Open carry got danbus arrested in NC. . . .Do you think Jesus Gonzalez in WI would be in trouble he is in now if he had never open carried?

Open carry, even when legal, can get you arrested or harrassed. Once you are on the police radar you are there for life. It doesn't go away because you are in the database, arrested or not.

UM - You got your permit revoked for carrying a gun in your hand. Danbus was arrestted and acquitted in VIRGINIA. Jesus might be dead now had he not open carried. The folks in starbcuks in Alabama - not arrested, just harassed by a cop who is now better informed.

Come on.

kwikrnu

Banned
UM - You got your permit revoked for carrying a gun in your hand. Danbus was arrestted and acquitted in VIRGINIA. Jesus might be dead now had he not open carried. The folks in starbcuks in Alabama - not arrested, just harassed by a cop who is now better informed.

Come on.

I had to carry it in my hand because it is illegal to carry it holstered. I've cited the law previously why don't you look it up and argue what I did was unlawful...Belle Meade City Ordinance 11-602 and TCA 39-17-1314(a).

The common theme is we all obeyed the law and have been harrassed.

I think you're wrong about the guys who were arrested at a starbucks meet on July 4, 2010 at an Alabama Starbucks.

Last edited:

estcrh

I had to carry it in my hand because it is illegal to carry it holstered. I've cited the law previously why don't you look it up and argue what I did was unlawful...Belle Meade City Ordinance 11-602 and TCA 39-17-1314(a).

The common theme is we all obeyed the law and have been harrassed.

I think you're wrong about the guys who were arrested at a starbucks meet on July 4, 2010 at an Alabama Starbucks.

The head of the nopd in my district told a crowd of people that a holstered gun was considered concealed even though it was ruled to be open carry in a court case, this is one of the tactics used to keep people from carrying a gun, when I USED my gun on a man that tried to pull a gun on me I was carrying my gun in my hand while walking down my street.

turbodog

Open carry got my permit to carry suspended.
Open carry got Kurt Kirby in washington arrested.
Open carry got danbus arrested in NC.
Open carry got jp49911 charged with GATTOP and his house searched and charged with child neglect or something.
Open carry got I OC nothingwronghere harrassed.
Open carry has got a lot of people in trouble. Do you think Jesus Gonzalez in WI would be in trouble he is in now if he had never open carried?

Open carry, even when legal, can get you arrested or harrassed. Once you are on the police radar you are there for life. It doesn't go away because you are in the database, arrested or not.

Yes, even normal open carry can get one arrested. We all know this. The possibility comes with the territory, so to speak. In your case, of course, "normal open carry" doesn't apply . You're "lookin for free money" stunts are what caused your well deserved problems.

kwikrnu

Banned
Yes, even normal open carry can get one arrested. We all know this. The possibility comes with the territory, so to speak. In your case, of course, "normal open carry" doesn't apply . You're "lookin for free money" stunts are what caused your well deserved problems.

Actually, the problems stem from law enforcement and government harrassment. Normal carry of a handgun in Belle Meade is open carry in the hand. Normal carry of a handgun in a State park is slung or holstered, open or concealed. I open carried in proper legal fashion.

RussP

Actually, the problems stem from law enforcement and government harrassment. Normal carry of a handgun in Belle Meade is open carry in the hand.
Actually, no, that is not normal. It is an archaic method established in 1870. Based on links you provided, Leonard, the last prosecution under that law was in 1914. None of the cases cited by you were in Belle Meade.

In a letter dated March 25, 2010, the Belle Meade Commissioners, Mayor Gray O. Thornburg, Vice-Mayor Jim Hunt, Tom Corcoran, Cathy Altenbern, and George W. Crook state, "Like the State of Tennessee, the City of Belle Meade recognizes legally issued gun permits."

Leonard, please prove between 1914 and today, the citizens of Belle Meade normally carried firearms in the hand.
Normal carry of a handgun in a State park is slung or holstered, open or concealed. I open carried in proper legal fashion.
You are the one introducing the word "normal" into your story. Yes, your AK handgun is a legal pistol. Pistols are allowed in the park. However, I doubt you can show evidence that an AK47 pistol slung on the chest ready for instant use is, or ever has been "normal" for Radnor Lake Park.

estcrh

, I doubt you can show evidence that an AK47 pistol slung on the chest ready for instant use is, or ever has been "normal" for Radnor Lake Park.

I would love to see that!!! But...Is that a legal carry by La. law?...if so no matter how upsetting of a sight like that would be for SOME people it would not be right to harass someone who is following the letter of the law. A pistol is a pistol no matter what form and as long as it is a legal weapon and carried in a legal manner then who gets to say what is NORMAL and what is not.....you sound like all the anti's who are scared of the look of an assault rifle.

kwikrnu

Banned
I would love to see that!!! But...Is that a legal carry by La. law?...if so no matter how upsetting of a sight like that would be for SOME people it would not be right to harass someone who is following the letter of the law. A pistol is a pistol no matter what form and as long as it is a legal weapon and carried in a legal manner then who gets to say what is NORMAL and what is not.....you sound like all the anti's who are scared of the look of an assault rifle.

There is no definition of a "normal" handgun in Tennessee. There is a definition of a handgun. It is a firearm w/o a shoulder stock and a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

As far as "instant" a slung handgun is far from being able to be used instantly. Instant use would be safety off, hand on the grip, finger on the trigger, sling released, and the handgun ponted at a threat.

He sounds like an anti because he is.

RussP

I would love to see that!!! But...Is that a legal carry by La. law?
And that is the point. Mr. Embody makes the statement that his Pietta replica black powder pistol carried in the hand is the normal carry pistol and the normal carry method in the City of Belle Meade. When asked to substantiate his statement, he cannot. Is it legal? At the time he did so, it was.

Now, the AK47 Draco pistol is a legal handgun. Carrying it on a sling is legal. Is it, or has it ever been the normal handgun and method of carry in Radnor Lake Park?

This isn't about whether there is a definition for "Normal Handgun" in Tennessee Law, or LA law, or Virginia law. It is whether the pistol(s) mentioned are normally seen being carried in the manners Mr. Embody carried them in the venues where he carried them. I hold firm Mr. Embody is not correct in stating they are normally seen in either location.
...if so no matter how upsetting of a sight like that would be for SOME people it would not be right to harass someone who is following the letter of the law. A pistol is a pistol no matter what form and as long as it is a legal weapon and carried in a legal manner then who gets to say what is NORMAL and what is not.....
Each incident involving Leonard had far more circumstances around them than is it "NORMAL" or not.
you sound like all the anti's who are scared of the look of an assault rifle.
Nope, another myth Leonard likes to promote.

Do people feel threatened by the mere presence of a firearm? Yes, they do.

Am I, are we responsible for that fear? No, hell no. They had it, that fear, long before they saw the big black pistol I open carry on my hip. We hear and read stories of people observing a legally carried firearm becoming irrational - freaking out more often than we hear/read about those carrying freaking out, right?

I've been open carrying for almost 8 years. Never has anyone freaked out, challenged my carrying (well, there was that one rent-a-cop who called me a 2nd Amendment freak), or called the cops. Never has a police officer felt the need to disarm me, or say anything negative about my carrying, and I've been around cops frequently over those 8 years.

Of course, people in central Virginia are use to seeing Glocks and Sigs carried in holsters. You might say it's normal around here. How about in LA?

Last edited:

estcrh

And that is the point. Mr. Embody makes the statement that his Pietta replica black powder pistol carried in the hand is the normal carry pistol and the normal carry method in the City of Belle Meade. When asked to substantiate his statement, he cannot. Is it legal? At the time he did so, it was.

Now, the AK47 Draco pistol is a legal handgun. Carrying it on a sling is legal. Is it, or has it ever been the normal handgun and method of carry in Radnor Lake Park?

This isn't about whether there is a definition for "Normal Handgun" in Tennessee Law, or LA law, or Virginia law. It is whether the pistol(s) mentioned are normally seen being carried in the manners Mr. Embody carried them in the venues where he carried them. I hold firm Mr. Embody is not correct in stating they are normally seen in either location.Each incident involving Leonard had far more circumstances around them than is it "NORMAL" or not.Nope, another myth Leonard likes to promote.

Do people feel threatened by the mere presence of a firearm? Yes, they do.

Am I, are we responsible for that fear? No, hell no. They had it, that fear, long before they saw the big black pistol I open carry on my hip. We hear and read stories of people observing a legally carried firearm becoming irrational - freaking out more often than we hear/read about those carrying freaking out, right?

I've been open carrying for almost 8 years. Never has anyone freaked out, challenged my carrying (well, there was that one rent-a-cop who called me a 2nd Amendment freak), or called the cops. Never has a police officer felt the need to disarm me, or say anything negative about my carrying, and I've been around cops frequently over those 8 years.

Of course, people in central Virginia are use to seeing Glocks and Sigs carried in holsters. You might say it's normal around here. How about in LA?

La. is another story...the police are highly resentful in many towns and cities of anyone who would dare to wear a gun in public view and use any excuse to persuade you to conceal your weapon including lies, threats and harassment. We finally got a law that allows a person to carry concealed with a permit in a school zone here which is another threat used here to talk people out of carrying as there are school zones every were.

kwikrnu

Banned
La. is another story...the police are highly resentful in many towns and cities of anyone who would dare to wear a gun in public view and use any excuse to persuade you to conceal your weapon including lies, threats and harassment. We finally got a law that allows a person to carry concealed with a permit in a school zone here which is another threat used here to talk people out of carrying as there are school zones every were.

Sounds like Tennessee. Cops do not like open carry. Hell, the police chief of Belle meade had the following to say, "Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. The state law is vague, because it does not require permit holders to conceal their weapons and carrying handguns openly creates intimidation and fear." Then he goes on to write the State that I carried a handgun unsafely when I carried exactly as prescribed by the law. The State suspended my permit because of the persistence of the Belle Meade Police. I haven't discovered what discussions occured at higher level meetings at the Department of Safety because they are claiming they do not have to release that info.

Harrassment, oppression, and intimidation are tools cops and government around here use to oppress and violate civil rights. They can say as many anti-gunners that an activity is not normal as much as they like. The test for RAS is not "normal" it is RAS of criminal activity. A handgun meeting the Tennessee definition of a handgun is a handgun.

I wish we had the recognized freedom in Tennessee to open carry w/o the need of a permit.

RussP

La. is another story...the police are highly resentful in many towns and cities of anyone who would dare to wear a gun in public view and use any excuse to persuade you to conceal your weapon including lies, threats and harassment.
I read on the LOCAL website that they are working on noe page handouts and letters to law enforcement agencies that will work toward mitigating those issues. I also read about individuals who are doing the same thing where they live. Some in Louisiana law enforcement do seem to have a real attitude about non-sworn citizens carrying.
We finally got a law that allows a person to carry concealed with a permit in a school zone here which is another threat used here to talk people out of carrying as there are school zones every were.
We are working toward better carry-in-schools law here in Virginia, too. Right now we can't carry outside our vehicles, and if we do leave the vehicle, the firearm must be unloaded and placed in a locked container.

RussP

Sounds like Tennessee. Cops do not like open carry. Hell, the police chief of Belle meade had the following to say, "Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. The state law is vague, because it does not require permit holders to conceal their weapons and carrying handguns openly creates intimidation and fear."
Is there anything untrue in his statement?

"Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do." - True

"The state law is vague" - True. Aren't you suing the State for that exact reason?

"because it does not require permit holders to conceal their weapons" - True, it does not mandate concealed carry and permits (as objectionable as that is) open carry.

"and carrying handguns openly creates intimidation and fear." - True - However, we who open carry are not responsible for others phobias, correct?
Then he goes on to write the State that I carried a handgun unsafely when I carried exactly as prescribed by the law.
That is one of the reasons he cited.
The State suspended my permit because of the persistence of the Belle Meade Police.
I believe "insistence" would be a better word, not "persistence".
I haven't discovered what discussions occured at higher level meetings at the Department of Safety because they are claiming they do not have to release that info.
That will come out in the permit reinstatement hearing in, what, January?
Harrassment, oppression, and intimidation are tools cops and government around here use to oppress and violate civil rights. They can say as many anti-gunners that an activity is not normal as much as they like. The test for RAS is not "normal" it is RAS of criminal activity.
You, Leonard, are the one who introduced the word "normal", stating "Normal carry of a handgun in Belle Meade is open carry in the hand. Normal carry of a handgun in a State park is slung...", exchanging "normal" for the proper term "legal" which you have been using prior to that post. "Legal" I believe all can agree with; "normal" begs for proof.
A handgun meeting the Tennessee definition of a handgun is a handgun.
Yes it does, unless it is an illegally constructed firearm.

I wish we had the recognized freedom in Tennessee to open carry w/o the need of a permit.
No argument...

aadvark

Open Carry of a .17 Caliber Rifle in Canton, Georgia.
Law Enforcement says that it Constitutes Reckless Conduct, however; SB 308 says that I am in The Right!
More specifically, Georgia Laws 16-11-126(b) and Georgia Laws 16-11-173(a)(1) through 16-11-173(b)(1)!
The Canton Police Department thinks that Canton is above State-wide Firearms Preemption, however; they are not.
Furthermore, since because my Rifle discharges a Shot of less than .46 Centimeters in Diameter, I can Carry it Openly or Concealed, Loaded or Unloaded, in or out of a Motor Vehicle, with or without a GWCL, pretty much anywhere in The State of Georgia that I want, except: 1. Jails/Prisons, 2. Schools, and 3. The State Capitol.
Canton Police Department knows this, but they Arrested me anyway.

For your convience, please read SB 308, by going to Google, and typing in SB 308 for Georgia.

By the way..., I have a GWCL, the Louisiana equivalent would be a CCW.

Last edited: