• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry "Threatening"

flagellum

Hi all, I have a friend that OC's in Luisiana but he is not a member here. When talking to him he was told by someone that open carry was legal, but as soon as someone felt "threatened" by your weapon and reported you, you would be guilty of a crime. I am not from here, but I am certain that is FALSE. Now, do you know of any law that says otherwise? Is the absence of a law that implies such proof that what he heard is not true? Just curious if you all could cite something regarding this.

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

Whoever told him that is misinformed at best, full of $#!+ at worst. By that logic if you happen to be a person who is average height, and someone who is 7'5" walks up next to you and you feel intimidated is he guilty of a crime? A threat requires an action under the law. You cannot be threatened by someone who isn't behaving illegally or even interacting with you. You can feel intimidated, which is different and quite frankly, their problem.

kwikrnu

Banned
Open carry got my permit to carry suspended.
Open carry got Kurt Kirby in washington arrested.
Open carry got danbus arrested in NC.
Open carry got jp49911 charged with GATTOP and his house searched and charged with child neglect or something.
Open carry got I OC nothingwronghere harrassed.
Open carry has got a lot of people in trouble. Do you think Jesus Gonzalez in WI would be in trouble he is in now if he had never open carried?

Open carry, even when legal, can get you arrested or harrassed. Once you are on the police radar you are there for life. It doesn't go away because you are in the database, arrested or not.

estcrh

Open carry got jp49911 charged with GATTOP and his house searched and charged with child neglect or something.
Open carry has got a lot of people in trouble. Do you think Jesus Gonzalez in WI would be in trouble he is in now if he had never open carried?

Open carry, even when legal, can get you arrested or harrassed. Once you are on the police radar you are there for life. It doesn't go away because you are in the database, arrested or not.

There is a BIG difference between what you THINK you can do and what you can actually do without being willing to take LEGAL ACTION to prove your rights...something a lot of people here are confused about.

kwikrnu

Banned
There is a BIG difference between what you THINK you can do and what you can actually do without being willing to take LEGAL ACTION to prove your rights...something a lot of people here are confused about.

Nothing is a guarantee. Many cops don't know the laws and night court judges, magistrates or judicial commissioners may not either. It is legal to open carry in Alabama, but some Alabama guys were arrested last month at a Starbucks. Anytime you go out of the house you should carry a voice recorder because you never know when you'll meet the cop who doesn't know the law. Without a recording it is his word against yours and that almost never turnes out well in court.

estcrh

Nothing is a guarantee. Many cops don't know the laws and night court judges, magistrates or judicial commissioners may not either. It is legal to open carry in Alabama, but some Alabama guys were arrested last month at a Starbucks. Anytime you go out of the house you should carry a voice recorder because you never know when you'll meet the cop who doesn't know the law. Without a recording it is his word against yours and that almost never turnes out well in court.

In that case you have to find out if its legal to record conversations with out permission in your state,,it never stops!

LA Confederate

Most of us who have been involved in the OC movement, or any other movement that is not politically correct, promotes an expansion of personal liberty (and the requisite decrease in gooberment intervention,) promotes an expansion of 2A rights, or otherwise favor the gooberment's monopoly on force are already on their lists and in their databases. Your posts, credit card activity, and phone conversations are tracked and recorded for use against you at a future time. To kid yourself otherwise is delusional at best.

estcrh

Most of us who have been involved in the OC movement, or any other movement that is not politically correct, promotes an expansion of personal liberty (and the requisite decrease in gooberment intervention,) promotes an expansion of 2A rights, or otherwise favor the gooberment's monopoly on force are already on their lists and in their databases. Your posts, credit card activity, and phone conversations are tracked and recorded for use against you at a future time. To kid yourself otherwise is delusional at best.

Check into the meaning of...PARANOID..in your dictionary. Are you doing something to worry about? Anyway since you are going to be a cop you will benefit from that information database when you stop someone wouldnt you? Im just saying.....

LA Confederate

Check into the meaning of...PARANOID..in your dictionary. Are you doing something to worry about? Anyway since you are going to be a cop you will benefit from that information database when you stop someone wouldnt you? Im just saying.....

Am I doing something that I should be worried about? Nope. Am I doing anything the gooberment would be worried about. Most likely. I believe in individual liberty, non-existent firearms laws, and a feuderal gooberment about a quarter of its current size and severely limited in scope.

COMMENT REMOVED BY MODERATOR: Personal attack

estcrh

Am I doing something that I should be worried about? Nope. Am I doing anything the gooberment would be worried about. Most likely. I believe in individual liberty, non-existent firearms laws, and a feuderal gooberment about a quarter of its current size and severely limited in scope.

Non-existent firearms laws??? Even for convicted violent criminals? 18 yr olds can carry a full auto? I hope your vision of the future never happens.

LA Confederate

Non-existent firearms laws??? Even for convicted violent criminals? 18 yr olds can carry a full auto? I hope your vision of the future never happens.

Um, 18 year olds already do carry fully automatic weapons every day. They use those tools in defense of this country. I guess it's not OK for them to have their automatic weapons right? Or do they get some special pass because they wear a uniform?

How many violent criminals do you think will be left walking the streets if everyone was armed to the teeth. I don't seem to recall any blood flowing in the streets before GCA '68. You champion 2A rights only when it suits you and your self defense ideology.

IA-Pro

Campaign Veteran
I was talking to an older gentlemen recently who's lived in St. Tammany parish his entire life, and he said that in the 50's they had ONE constable for the entire parish. He said that folks carried guns with them all the time, and that they used to take care of themselves and their neighbors.

Imagine that. It seems like a world away from where we are today.

4sooth

It was common for people to openly walk around town with firearms--either long or handgun in St Tammany Parish in the late fifties and early sixties. When going duck hunting my brother and I would use his motorcycle for transportation--stopping at Bosco's for breakfast at three am we would walk into the restaurant carrying the shotguns, put them in the corner with the ones already there and eat. No one even looked up.

I used to carry my shotgun on the handle bars of my bicycle and ride around town looking for a good place to squirrel hunt--we frequently did so where the park is now(behind Times Bar and Grill).

Last edited:

NRAMARINE

Removed? What did I miss?