• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry vs Concealed

OldCurlyWolf

I last matriculated on a college campus 25 years ago. Since that time I have seen things that most of you under 40, except those who have served on active duty in the last 9 years, would not even dream of seeing.

As to whether on not to carry on campus, the answer is a resounding yes.
Per example:
I am a pretty good shot with a pistol out to 30 yards(90 feet). That is at least 1/3 longer than most lecture halls, which are the biggest rooms in most college buildings.

If someone with my abilities were to "go postal" and walked into such a hall that was nearly full (around eighty students), carrying what I normally carry and the nearest campus cop could be there in two minutes. I could guarantee 25+ dead and 30 wounded before the campus cop could get there.

Now if someone with the means to fire back, assuming the same ability, was in that hall. The casualties would probably be 5 or less, with one of those being the Idiot who started the whole mess.

You tell me, which is worse, 5 or 50+.

Last edited:

Jack House

Now if someone with the means to fire back, assuming the same ability, was in that hall. The casualties would probably be 5 or less, with one of those being the Idiot who started the whole mess.

You tell me, which is worse, 5 or 50+.
Antis will tell you that it's better that 50 die by the gunman than even one because of a shootout between the gunman and an armed citizen.

I speak this from experience, having been told that by several antis while discussing the VT incident. I pointed out that if the students were armed, a lot less people would have died, with the number potentially being reduced all the way to zero. They said that it was too dangerous for someone to confront the shooter, which is stupid but significantly more logical than the next thing they said. Which was that it was better the way it happened than a citizen murdering(their word) the shooter and possibly even a third party. They also repeatedly said that it was never ok to take a life, even in that situation. That if you were going to fight back, that you should do so unarmed and attempt to subdue the shooter and take away his guns.

So, again the stance of the antis:

• It's too dangerous to confront a gunman while armed.
  • It's not too dangerous to confront a gunman while unarmed.
  • It's never appropriate to take a life, even to save many from the person you would kill.
  • 50 lives lost to a crazed gunman is better than one life lost in a shootout between the gunman and his victims.

Manuel Fernandez

as the gangster poet Notorious BIG once said "Got the gat in my knapsack, lounging black, on my sidekick, rocking fly kicks"

Which brings me to my next point, if everyone is fearing for their lives so much in a college campus setting, why not carry your handgun in a backpack? No one can tell, and if the argument for carrying a gun because "i like my life, or my nuts intact" or whatever laughable sputter you tell an anti, why not protect yourself where mass murders have occurred before, regardless of the law?

You can't be serious. Are you actually inviting people to break the law? For that matter how bout you just hand over a gun to a felon and point over to your neighbors house indicating where they have the safe.:mad:

I am a student, and while I am no RAMBO. If my life depends on it, or if I fear I will die regardless, you can bet your arms and a leg that I will take to my grave whoever put me in danger along with me. I have no military training, but do shoot from time to time at the local range, and are familiar with my handgun.

Open or Concealded, the legally owned weapons shouldn't be restricted anywhere.

Last edited:

t33j

You can't be serious. Are you actually inviting people to break the law? For that matter how bout you just hand over a gun to a felon and point over to your neighbors house indicating where they have the safe.:mad:
It's not illegal to carry on public University Campi in some states. Virginia is one of them.

To answer the question, some students do carry despite university policy. I know very few however.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
as the gangster poet Notorious BIG once said "Got the gat in my knapsack, lounging black, on my sidekick, rocking fly kicks"

Which brings me to my next point, if everyone is fearing for their lives so much in a college campus setting, why not carry your handgun in a backpack? No one can tell, and if the argument for carrying a gun because "i like my life, or my nuts intact" or whatever laughable sputter you tell an anti, why not protect yourself where mass murders have occurred before, regardless of the law?

I am a student, and while I am no RAMBO. If my life depends on it, or if I fear I will die regardless, you can bet your arms and a leg that I will take to my grave whoever put me in danger along with me. I have no military training, but do shoot from time to time at the local range, and are familiar with my handgun.

Open or Concealded, the legally owned weapons shouldn't be restricted anywhere.

No need to answer a banned poster - he was recognized for what he was.

URS Corporation Employee - Banned

Manuel Fernandez

I want to carry, but within the law. Not against it.

In florida is not legal to take a gun into college premises. :banghead: I spoke out of my own personal situation. The guy whom I quoted said to carry regardless of the law.

IMO is ok if someone wants to do a felony consciously, but inviting others to do it is just irresponsible. I wouldn't be surprised if he bought alcohol for middle school students who offered $20 in exchange for the purchase.

zack991

I refuse to spend any of my money, at any school that forbids me to protect myself. If you do spend money at these schools, shame on you. All you do by supporting these schools is not only allowing them to make a fool of your God given rights, but you let them do it with a smile on their face cashing your checks. I do attend a credited online college that if I was living in their state, I would be able to enter the campus armed. When I was asked, why I was attending their college over a local college in OH? I said because you don't take away my 2nd amendment rights if I ever desired to enter your campus.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I refuse to spend any of my money, at any school that forbids me to protect myself. If you do spend money at these schools, shame on you. All you do by supporting these schools is not only allowing them to make a fool of your God given rights, but you let them do it with a smile on their face cashing your checks. I do attend credited online college that if I was living in their state would be able to enter the campus armed. When I was asked, why I was attending their college over a local college in OH? I said because you don't take away my 2nd amendment rights if I ever desired to enter your campus.

Leaves very slim pickin's for those desirous of a good education. :(

zack991

There are a ton of good charter schools that are a credited for those to be able to go to school at home. It is a simple fix in most cases till the laws can be change.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I refuse to spend any of my money, at any school that forbids me to protect myself. If you do spend money at these schools, shame on you. All you do by supporting these schools is not only allowing them to make a fool of your God given rights, but you let them do it with a smile on their face cashing your checks. I do attend a credited online college that if I was living in their state, I would be able to enter the campus armed. When I was asked, why I was attending their college over a local college in OH? I said because you don't take away my 2nd amendment rights if I ever desired to enter your campus.

There are a ton of good charter schools that are a credited for those to be able to go to school at home. It is a simple fix in most cases till the laws can be change.

What does "charter schools" have to do with going to a college and with students being able to carry there?

Charter schools by every definition that I have ever seen are public primary and secondary schools not colleges and universities.
http://www.uscharterschools.org/pub/uscs_docs/o/index.htm

zack991

What does "charter schools" have to do with going to a college and with students being able to carry there?

Charter schools by every definition that I have ever seen are public primary and secondary schools not colleges and universities.
http://www.uscharterschools.org/pub/uscs_docs/o/index.htm

Sorry meant to say satellite(branch campuses) colleges that allowed me and others to attend their accredited courses without having to move to be apart of that college. Here its comely referred to as a charter school as well. I rather pay money to that school that allows their students to carry than pay a school who points a giant bulls-eye on our backs for nut jobs to target.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry meant to say satellite(branch campuses) colleges that allowed me and others to attend their accredited courses without having to move to be apart of that college. Here its comely referred to as a charter school as well. I rather pay money to that school that allows their students to carry than pay a school who points a giant bulls-eye on our backs for nut jobs to target.

OK, got it - you have condition in Ohio that you can work to your advantage.

Problem is that this sub-forum is GMU Students For Concealed Carry = George Mason University in Virginia. A satellite campus would NOT enjoy such an exception here.