• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry without Permit in National Forests

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'm aware of www.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries]this thread[/url], but the issue of National Forests is still rather unclear.

Not being a hunter, I have no prior knowledge of Virginia's hunting regulations, and a quick perusal reveals them to be of almost Californian complexity.

I ask because I live very near to the Pandapas Pond area of Jefferson National Forest. I was considering taking a hike today, but I observed a sign declaring:

RECREATION AREA BOUNDARY: HUNTING AND WEAPONS PROHIBITED

This sign gives the impression of being absolute. Is it the case that weapons may only be carried openly without a permit during hunting season in areas which allow hunting?

Or am I permitted to open carry anywhere in a National Forest so long as it is some or other hunting season?

Also, during which hunting seasons? Has anybody compiled a list? Might this be a worthwhile endeavor?

I think this issue could use more clarification by those who are experienced with it. It goes far beyond the complexity of any other carry issue in Virginia.

As an aside, I'm surprised and disappointed this issue hasn't been addressed yet by the legislature. Is it really more important to try to destroy our common-law self-defense provisions, and to allow folks to buy multiple handguns a month, than it is to ensure that every Virginian may carry the guns he already has where he sees fit? I say, no it is not.

And nobody better even suggest selling my soul in response to this thread.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm aware of www.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75894-Forests-Parks-Wildlife-Refuges-and-Cemeteries]this thread[/url], but the issue of National Forests is still rather unclear.

Not being a hunter, I have no prior knowledge of Virginia's hunting regulations, and a quick perusal reveals them to be of almost Californian complexity.

I ask because I live very near to the Pandapas Pond area of Jefferson National Forest. I was considering taking a hike today, but I observed a sign declaring:

RECREATION AREA BOUNDARY: HUNTING AND WEAPONS PROHIBITED

This sign gives the impression of being absolute. Is it the case that weapons may only be carried openly without a permit during hunting season in areas which allow hunting?

Or am I permitted to open carry anywhere in a National Forest so long as it is some or other hunting season?

Also, during which hunting seasons? Has anybody compiled a list? Might this be a worthwhile endeavor?

I think this issue could use more clarification by those who are experienced with it. It goes far beyond the complexity of any other carry issue in Virginia.

As an aside, I'm surprised and disappointed this issue hasn't been addressed yet by the legislature. Is it really more important to try to destroy our common-law self-defense provisions, and to allow folks to buy multiple handguns a month, than it is to ensure that every Virginian may carry the guns he already has where he sees fit? I say, no it is not.

And nobody better even suggest selling my soul in response to this thread.

It's very complicated Marshul and I don't have time to get into the nitty gritty. Hopefully someone will fill in the blanks.
It's the result of a multi state agreement between the Game departments and the National Forest. They do specify which seasons and I think it's good through March something. Just like WMA's, DGIF doesn't want it changed and it has been addressed.

Even during hunting season, certain areas are off limits for hunting and thus off limits to OC.