• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open or concealed

Gary599

I live in Londonderry. I oc once at the Derry walmart.

Been a gun owner for 7 months.

I'd like to open carry more. But really not wanting the hassle.

What to do?

Curmudgeon

Do what you are most comfortable doing.

I advocate against OC until you are comfortable with the idea (as well as the act) and have prepared yourself adequately for "the hassle".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How do you become comfortable with something, but by doing it?

First learn and understand the laws applicable. Attend meet-ups or dinner with like minded people in your area - lots of good advice and suggestions to be had that way.

Most everyone is nervous/apprehensive the first few times. Predict that will pass and it will just become a normal, everyday thing.

Last edited:

Jay

I live in Lebanon and OC all the time a little harder now that the colder weather is among us. I have never been hassled by anyone either except by my local bank once but since I educated them I have had no further problems. I have had some curious questions, and I have had some Lebanon Police see me OC I or they just give a friendly nod and that is it. I admit I was a little intimidated at first but have been OC'ing for almost a year now. It is as natural to me as brushing my teeth.

Gunslinger

Londonderry is upscale, Derry is working class. That alone implies a distinction in how OC would be received. I never had a problem in Merrimack, which is comparable to L-Derry. But I was also a resident and the cops treated residents differently than non-res. My two warning tickets being a good example. Non-Merrimack residents would have been ticketed, I have no doubt. They did ticket my son when he was a teenager and then called me and said they would recommend Traffic School for him, no fines or points. I never got a second look when OCing, although I generally carried concealed. If it's your town/city, do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to OC, do it. You pay taxes there and should expect consideration when exercising your legal rights.