• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org's Mile Stollenwerk predicts open carry will pass in Texas

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onli...days-similar-more-liberal-states#.U0s-m0nD_IU

SNIP

Texas' open carry ban linked to 'Wild West' days, similar to more liberal states

Posted: April 13, 2014 - 5:39pm

By Enrique Rangel

AUSTIN BUREAU

AUSTIN — Thanks to its frontier heritage and the number of Texans with concealed handgun permits — more than 600,000 as of last year — Texas is considered a gun-friendly state.. . .

Although interpretations of state laws vary among pro-gun groups such as the National Rifle Association and Open.Carry.org, carrying firearms in full view is specifically allowed in 17 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Most others let local governments decide whether to impose restrictions.

However, Texas and five other states — California, Florida, Illinois, New York and South Carolina — as well as the District of Columbia, don’t allow open carry, according to Open.Carry.org, a website created 10 years ago to focus on “the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.”

“It’s hard to understand that Southern states like Texas, Florida and South Carolina are in the same group with California, Illinois, New York and the District of Columbia,” co-founder Mike Stollenwerk said in a phone interview. “It’s really strange.”

However, the attention the issue is getting again is encouraging, and open carry legislation will finally pass in next year’s session, Stollenwerk, a former Texas resident, predicted.

. . .

Mike

Site Co-Founder
OpenCarry.org's Mike Stollenwerk says “The handgun needs to be liberated in Texas!”

San Antonio Express, April 2014

Texas at center of storm over open carry

http://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...enter-of-storm-over-open-carry-5399535.php#/0

SNIP

In Texas, although a concealed carry law has been on the books since 1995, legislators have failed repeatedly to repeal the ban on openly carrying handguns.

Now both gubernatorial candidates, Democrat Wendy Davis and Republican Greg Abbott, say they support open carry of handguns, and advocates predict it will win approval sooner or later.

“The handgun needs to be liberated in Texas,” said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of 30,000-member Opencarry.org, the closest thing to a national-movement clearinghouse for the issue. “With the big candidates saying they agree, maybe it's time.”

. . .

Advocates on both sides of the issue say the open-carry ban on handguns in Texas is a vestige of Jim Crow laws dating back to the 19th century that were aimed at disarming freed slaves. This legacy helps explain why Southern states, though firmly pro-gun, often restrict open carry.

“The fact is it's the South where we're playing cleanup,” Stollenwerk said.

2AFriendly

I would totally agree. Texas, despite the reputation, is behind in freedom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

There is tons of support from the people for open carry. I think that people are beginning to wake up to the fact that these laws are wrong, and they're becoming more and more vocal about getting them changed. I am glad to know that opencarry.org is keeping an eye on the happenings in Texas. I am optimistic for 2015.

Last edited:

F350

There is tons of support from the people for open carry. I think that people are beginning to wake up to the fact that these laws are wrong, and they're becoming more and more vocal about getting them changed. I am glad to know that opencarry.org is keeping an eye on the happenings in Texas. I am optimistic for 2015.

Of course there is!! Why else would "Abortion Wendy" be supporting it? She is trying desperately to blunt the issues that can be used against her. Typical Democrap!

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

That will put an end to my replies that "you can't do this in Texas" when people tell me this isn't Texas for OC'ing......and gladly so...good luck Texan!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And so it did. Should be common knowledge by now that OC will be legal in Texas 1/1/16.
icon14.png

qednick

Just realized the folks closer to El Paso will have to wait one hour longer--since it's Mountain time zone there.

HPmatt

Just drive to midland/odessa - about 5 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

the TX suburb of Ciudad Juárez are allowed firearms ~ oh wait, that's right Ciudad Juárez participated in the FBI's firearm program...and without forcing anybody to participate in NICS checks...

ipse