• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Openly carrying a Ruger LCP...?

nonameisgood

For those who think the .380 is a poor choice, are you willing to be shot with one? Yeah, I thought not. The whole subject of caliber is, well, subjective. The .380 Auto will serve a self defense purpose quite well, since most people won't stick around to check caliber before turning tail or falling to the ground. Those who would face down a small gun are likely not backing down to a more powerful round either.

eye95

Again, a strawman.

Who said the caliber is a poor choice?

The choice depends on a lot of factors, only one of which is stopping power. That being said, it is a fact that the .380 has less stopping power than 9mm, .40, .38 (with or without plusses), .357, .44 (special or mag), .45, 10mm, .454 casull, .50 and dozens more.

But, again, folks are having a rational discussion about a firearm. Why do some folks insist on seeing it as contentious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

WalkingWolf

For those who think the .380 is a poor choice, are you willing to be shot with one? Yeah, I thought not. The whole subject of caliber is, well, subjective. The .380 Auto will serve a self defense purpose quite well, since most people won't stick around to check caliber before turning tail or falling to the ground. Those who would face down a small gun are likely not backing down to a more powerful round either.

I just don't worry about what others think of my caliber choice, it is as simple as that. It is not worth fussing over what some control freak thinks on personal matters.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The LCP is not a subcompact handgun. It is smaller than that is is loosely referred to as a mouse gun or mini gun. It is better than a hammer but does not suffice as a serious self defense handgun. ....

eye95 said:
...Who said the caliber is a poor choice?...

It's not the first time I get accused of not understanding the written word. Perhaps you should move on.

FWIW, I've accepted the further contexting comments of SouthernBoy. And while the T-shirt analogy is greatly flawed (clothing absolutely helps with warmth, whereas a gun's "stopping power" is one of its least attributes that actually stops a fight), I understand your perspective on the issue better because of it.

eye95

Wow.

Folks, read the post above and its two quotes.

Again, I ask, who said the caliber is a poor choice???

It is beginning to look as though a fight is being seen where there is none.

Not moving on!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You're right. I made a huge leap. I'm sure I'll find it on my tenth rereading.

Meanwhile, I retract the statement.

eye95

Nah. Based on your sarcasm, I can see that you are choosing never recognize your misrepresentation of what was said. Your choice.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
No, if you feel that 'small gun' discussion leaping to 'small caliber' discussion or vice-versa being out-of-line, I really don't know how to respond. That's the truth.

I keep thinking there must be something obvious to everyone else except me as to how I managed to screw up this discussion single-handedly. If anyone can help, I welcome it.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Gentlemen;

I never took MAC702's initial response to what I posted as being a personal attack. Perhaps a misunderstanding, but I saw nothing malicious. And WalkingWolf's comment, "It is not worth fussing over what some control freak thinks on personal matters" I know was not directed at me because control freak is the last mold I would fit, we're good there.

The OP had a very honest question, "What are your thoughts on someone OCing a subcompact?" and deserves honest answers and opinions. We do him less than our best service to do otherwise.

eye95

No, if you feel that 'small gun' discussion leaping to 'small caliber' discussion or vice-versa being out-of-line...

I didn't say it was "out of line." I am saying that you are either having REAL trouble reading, or you are deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting the posts of others in a stubborn attempt to "win" a discussion--including this latest attempt to deceive others about what I have posted.

Your turn.

WalkingWolf

Gentlemen;

I never took MAC702's initial response to what I posted as being a personal attack. Perhaps a misunderstanding, but I saw nothing malicious. And WalkingWolf's comment, "It is not worth fussing over what some control freak thinks on personal matters" I know was not directed at me because control freak is the last mold I would fit, we're good there.

The OP had a very honest question, "What are your thoughts on someone OCing a subcompact?" and deserves honest answers and opinions. We do him less than our best service to do otherwise.

Nope, it was not meant for anybody. It is one of those general statements I have when it comes to personal decisions, that are the responsibility of the individual. There some people in this world though that believe those decisions should be made by government or the group, I refer to these people as control freaks.

SouthernBoy

Nope, it was not meant for anybody. It is one of those general statements I have when it comes to personal decisions, that are the responsibility of the individual. There some people in this world though that believe those decisions should be made by government or the group, I refer to these people as control freaks.

You want to see a few posters getting their panties in an uproar over something ridiculous, check out glocktalk.com for a thread in the Carry Issues forum entitled "CCW: One in the chamber or not?". A few of them are so certain that their position is the only one to have.... well, it is silly as far as I'm concerned. A full 36 pages worth. Some good comments to help the OP who had an honest question. But the thread gets out of hand with a few posters who really believe themselves to be gun Gods I suppose.

Last edited:

Samopal

Gentlemen;

For what it's worth I haven't taken offense to anything said in this thread either, none of it came across as personal belittlement.

SouthernBoy

For what it's worth I haven't taken offense to anything said in this thread either, none of it came across as personal belittlement.

I am pleased to hear that. Most of us (I'd like to say all) are here to help you with your questions and concerns and sometimes our delivery can be course, misconstrued, or just plain poorly done. We do try, believe me and there are a lot of people here with a wealth of information who are more than happy to share it.

Last edited:

WCEarp

I just got a Ruger LCP yesterday and do not yet have a CPL. What are your thoughts on someone OCing a subcompact?

It's the only handgun I own and I have a nice leather OWB holster for it with a thumb snap... I'm really trying to resist the urge to OC it while doing my daily business, or even just for a walk around the neighbourhood to test it out. Is this bad? Should I just wait for my CPL (or a bigger gun)?

In an effort to get this back on subject; I say carry it openly.

The advantages and disadvantages of open carrying a gun will not be negated because your chosen defense weapon is a subcompact gun. Albeit the aspects of people noticing at all will probably be decreased. A person who would comments negatively on you carrying an LCP openly will comment negatively about any gun you carry. Even though OC affords a person the ease of carrying a full size service gun and all the advantages that it brings, remember that your LCP does you no good at home while you are on a walk. So carry it with pride.

For an anecdotal story, my wife just purchased a SCCY CPX-2 and is looking for a OWB holster for it already. She bought it without qualms about its size. She decided to take responsibility for her own safety and likes the fact that she will be able to conceal it easily if and when she gets her CCW. Now I just have to find an OWB holster that fits it. I guess I'll have to spend more time at the LGS:rolleyes:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I didn't say it was "out of line." I am saying that you are either having REAL trouble reading, or you are deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting the posts of others in a stubborn attempt to "win" a discussion--including this latest attempt to deceive others about what I have posted.

Your turn.

My turn to what? Continue an argument on semantics?

Honestly, please show me where you think I am deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting someone's post. I will immediately correct it with an apology. I already know it wasn't deliberate, so please show me where it is so I can fix it. Thank you.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Name a case of civilian self-defense where a human attacker advanced through .380 (or less) gunfire to continue the attack.

It will clearly be an exception, and you can probably find even more of these flukes happening with more-often carried rounds like the almighty .45.

Never belittle someone for carrying a small firearm. Commend them for carrying a firearm.

+1 A gun you carry consistently is FAR better than a gun you do not carry consistently.

I switch between an SCCY 9mm and my trusty old FM Hi-Power 9mm depending on the clothes worn and location I am carrying (OC or CC).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
In an effort to get this back on subject; I say carry it openly.

The advantages and disadvantages of open carrying a gun will not be negated because your chosen defense weapon is a subcompact gun...

Agreed. Somewhere in all this fluff, someone mentioned the comparison of a .380 and a .38 Special. It wasn't that long ago that a 4" .38 Special (not that much more powerful than a 2" or a .380) was the most popular OC gun in the country.

eye95

My turn to what? Continue an argument on semantics?

Honestly, please show me where you think I am deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting someone's post. I will immediately correct it with an apology. I already know it wasn't deliberate, so please show me where it is so I can fix it. Thank you.

I have shown you time and again. Go back through the thread. But that would require both reading skills and honesty. Remember, at least one of those two is lacking in your posts.

You seem to indicate that you don't know what a turn is, but you sure took it. Your turn again.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have shown you time and again. Go back through the thread. But that would require both reading skills and honesty. Remember, at least one of those two is lacking in your posts.

You seem to indicate that you don't know what a turn is, but you sure took it. Your turn again.

I never indicated I didn't know what a turn is. You are deliberately and dishonestly misrepresenting my post. That makes as much sense as anything you've said to me, especially after a genuine request to help me see where I have wronged you or anyone and your refusal to do so.

Last edited: