• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon with a Utah Permit

Tom Carr

Good day,
so I am going to be traveling to Oregon soon for work. I have a Utah CCW and I know that it is not honored there but they have an Open carry law. So can I open Carry at the state park and if so what are the rules on open carry? Are they like Utah two actions to fire? Also I am confused on the in car law. So can it be loaded and locked or does it have to be unloaded locked and ammo in a different location?
Thanks

solus

Good day,
so I am going to be traveling to Oregon soon for work. I have a Utah CCW and I know that it is not honored there but they have an Open carry law. So can I open Carry at the state park and if so what are the rules on open carry? Are they like Utah two actions to fire? Also I am confused on the in car law. So can it be loaded and locked or does it have to be unloaded locked and ammo in a different location?
Thanks

Tom, handgunlaw.us is your best current reference...
My experiences in the PNW states is OR is chaotic at best since there is no state exemption over local jurisdiction who have hodgepodge stricter firearms ordinances and LEs are enforcing on their biased whim on the citizens...when i traveled to Howard’s Spruce Goose wooden aircraft i secured my firearm in a locked box since i was driving on out of state plates.

Further might ping pnw firearm forum.

Safe sojourn...

mnrobitaille

Good day,
Thanks

Oregon is a bit of a mess for those that carry. As Solus has stated, it's chaotic.

From my experience, Eastern Oregon is more OC friendly compared to Western Oregon (particularly Portland & Multinomah County). I open carry while in both Hermiston & Pendleton & have had no issues while OCing with sidearm on my hip. Just a few odd looks while walking through Walmart & have had local law enforcement walk by saying nothing.

As I mentioned earlier about Portland & Multinomah County, they dislike the idea of anyone (except Oregon CHL Holders) carrying. Though I haven't tested that theory by OCing while there.