• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

perceived carry size verses reality

exgabrit

i'm looking to buy a new CCW pistol to replace my sig p250 sc 9mm.
i think its too chunky.
looking at taurus 709 or xds. those are only slightly smaller on the width and a fraction less high. but i know that my taurus 740 i owned before the sig just carried better.

? do those fractions of an inch really matter ? or is it in our mind ?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OPEN Carry Dot Org

There are forums devoted to the other kind of carry where you might find someone who could provide you with useful guidance.

stay safe.

exgabrit

OPEN Carry Dot Org

There are forums devoted to the other kind of carry where you might find someone who could provide you with useful guidance.

stay safe.

i had a look through the list of forums, couldnt see one that seems to be better, you know which one would get maybe a better response ?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
i'm looking to buy a new CCW pistol to replace my sig p250 sc 9mm.
i think its too chunky.
looking at taurus 709 or xds. those are only slightly smaller on the width and a fraction less high. but i know that my taurus 740 i owned before the sig just carried better.

? do those fractions of an inch really matter ? or is it in our mind ?

Yes inches do matter, but weight can matter more.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...tention-or-no-Retention&p=2162121#post2162121
...What I don't like is even though the shield carries four more rounds it also weighs 3½ oz. more. I can feel that extra weight even though the footprint of both are about the same. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

My M&P compact weighs 9¼ oz. more than my snubby. It's like carrying an anchor. I only carry it when I think it's necessary. More rounds is more weight. The way I look at it, is if I can't deal with the situation with five rounds then three to eights rounds more means I shouldn't have been at that place at that time anyway.

There is always a compromise.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
i had a look through the list of forums, couldnt see one that seems to be better, you know which one would get maybe a better response ?

As I carry concealed only rarely I have no idea which would be better, but am still sure that any forum devoted to concealed carry would be where you would find folks with an interest in the issue you raise.

Not trying to be a smartass but https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=concealed+carry+forum came up with a few likely prospects. This https://duckduckgo.com/?q=concealed+carry+forum yielded a bigger selection to wade through.

stay safe.

The Truth

Get a Baby Browning .25 ACP and call it a day. $350 and you're good to go. It'd probably fit in your breast pocket.

Slowalkintexan

Concealed carry

NAA revolvers are not bulky...

In the latest issue of American Rifleman they talk about concealed carry with these new 'optics' and one guy says he carrys 'small of back inside waistband" geeeze, that's like shoving a brick up your escape hatch.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I carry a lot of full size handguns.

Comfort depends a lot of having a good belt and good holsters even suspenders for the biggest and heavy ones.

A small hand gun is easier to carry but that is what you have is a small handgun.

taxman

Banned
A small hand gun is easier to carry but that is what you have is a small handgun.

When I wanted something small, I first decided what caliber I would accept, and decided 9mm was OK for me but not .380. Then I looked for the smallest/lightest 9mm that I could shoot well.

The answer for me was a P938 with the fat rubber grip. On my first day at the range, I was shooting better groups with it than with my 1911.