• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit process started

bradco

Just applied last week for license, that would allow unlimited range access and weapons and ammo, counting down patiently 120 days. Expensive but oh well :)

bradco

60 Days, still patiently waiting, anyone here able to give insight on how long normally it has taking them in Puerto Rico to get thru this first hurdle and get license?

bradco

60 Days, still patiently waiting, anyone here able to give insight on how long normally it has taking them in Puerto Rico to get thru this first hurdle and get license?

Received permit today, now going to make appointment for orientation to learn all the proper laws pertaining to P.R and to get my membership for shooting club.

Also forgot to mention, now living here permanently.

Last edited:

bradco

Why do you need a license just to go to a shooting range?

License is to be able to take and have weapons at home, course is needed to complete requirements for applying for carry portion. Just following the proper steps and the law here.

press1280

Will you be applying for a carry permit? I'm curious if you can get one now that a court said that you don't need to prove "cause" or "need" under Heller.

bradco

Will you be applying for a carry permit? I'm curious if you can get one now that a court said that you don't need to prove "cause" or "need" under Heller.

Yes I applied for the carry portion, just received it today, 90 days after applying for it and paying up the wazoo :) had to go and be approved by Tribunal
just in case someone is curious it is concealed only no open carry unless you are on the job.meaning one that requires you to carry openly.

WCrawford

Yes I applied for the carry portion, just received it today, 90 days after applying for it and paying up the wazoo :) had to go and be approved by Tribunal
just in case someone is curious it is concealed only no open carry unless you are on the job.meaning one that requires you to carry openly.

Can you cite the laws that require concealment? It would be interesting to compare it to other states.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 4

bradco

Can you cite the laws that require concealment? It would be interesting to compare it to other states.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 4

This was cut and pasted from site below information, and exactly as the paper given to me with my license.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/puertorico.pdf

(1) The firearms may be borne, carried, and transported in a hidden or non- ostentatious manner.
(2) Unless the licensee also holds a permit to carry weapons, the weapon may carried by the licensee on his/her person; and that to be able to transport said weapon without a permit to carry, the weapon must be unloaded and transported inside a closed case whose contents are not visible and which may not be in plain sight. Provided, That in the case of private security guards who hold a permit to carry, are uniformed and in the exercise of their duties, they may carry the weapon in plain sight.

bill gray

Increased permitting recently?

I live in PR and am there for six months or more usually. Got stuck in PA to repair Sandy damage so I am a little out of touch. After the recent PR court decisions, has there been a lot more licensing there? I have a carry permit in PA but never seriously thought about tryingit in PR because of the complex and expensive process.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...transported in a hidden or non- ostentatious manner...

What definition of ostentatious? Because socially, it just means:

adjective
characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice.

Typical, normal open carry is not ostentatious.

HPmatt

...just in case someone is curious it is concealed only no open carry unless you are on the job.meaning one that requires you to carry openly.

Was doing business in PR about 10 years ago - we were in the old town and noticed the drivers of a mercedes of some local islanders had Uzis on harnesses under their coats - nice place to visit during the day.