• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perry County Preemption violation

gutshot II

The Perry County "Fiscal Court Building" (Old Courthouse) now houses nothing but county offices. This building used to be the site of the Perry County District Court and Circuit Court. The front door to that building has had this sign on it for the last 20 years:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HIZ7zEcuRYceuLq0plCGCTmY3wc3vQsm/view?usp=sharing

Perry County has no ordinance to authorize this sign and never has had one. This sign has been illegal since the day it was put up 20 years ago and nobody has bothered to challenge it. A resident of Perry County brought this to my attention, but he was too afraid to do anything about it himself. I talked to the Perry County Judge/Exec. about this and he told me to contact the Co. Attorney, John Shackelford. Mr. Shackelford was a very pleasant man. He knew right away why I had called. He admited that they had no ordinance and said they were not going to pass one. He said that the Judge had put them up when the courts were still in that building and they had just forgotten about taking them down when the courts moved. I didn't see anything to be gained by telling him that the Judge had no authority to put them up originally, so I just shut up. He said he was going to advise the Co. Judge/Exec to take them down. I asked when he thought that would happen and he said he didn't know, but just whenever the Judge could get somebody to do it. I asked if they would be down by March 15th and he said, "I am sure they could get them down by then and if they don't, I'll get a razor blade and scrape them off myself and take a picture of the door and send it to you." I never did get a picture of the door, but the person that originally brought this to me tells me the "No Concealed Weapons" signs are gone. The one about searches is still there. The residents of Perry Co. will have to fight that battle for themselves. gutshot II doesn't do 4th Amendment work.

Last edited:

gutshot II

...snip...I never did get a picture of the door, but the person that originally brought this to me tells me the "No Concealed Weapons" signs are gone. The one about searches is still there. The residents of Perry Co. will have to fight that battle for themselves. gutshot II doesn't do 4th Amendment work.

So, you are a two issues guy.

What two? I said, gutshot II doesn't do 4 Amendment work. What is the second one?

gutshot II

I think you were exercising your first amendment protected right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

You're right. I feel much more important now. Since I am doing double what I thought I was doing, I may demand that my salary be doubled.